Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:03 PM

75 posts, read 262,075 times

Advertisements

Durango (or rather, the outskirts) seem like the ideal place that appears to have many positives for a relocation there. However, in researching, I'm finding a real concern about the plague and hantavirus dangers, especially since we will have outbuildings such a barns, etc. In addition, there is west nile virus mentioned in a very informative website:

http://www.sjbhd.org/health_topics/index.asp (broken link)

Where I live now, the biggest threat (to humans) is a centipede bite, and that is not really a big deal. I have already asked about mountain lions and bears, and I'm sure there are scorpions, snakes and spiders. Did I miss anything else in the way of potentially dangerous animal related threats to humans? (Threats to pets would be appreciated too..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 07:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Hanta virus and plague are not common. They recommend that you ensure that you clean out outbuildings and garages with a mask on as well as gloves. It's not very common for either though.

I live on the Front Range and plague is detected about twice a year around here and have only heard of one person dying from the plague in all my 38 years of living here - all my life (that would be locally).

I have lived in Grand Junction and the most serious issue was from drowning in either the CO river or in the canals that go through the city and outlying areas.

Disease risk is probably less here than most places because of the lack of moisture. Durango is safe as anywhere.

Heck, I think people that live in CO have more of a risk of being biten by a rattlesnake than they would from getting hanta virus or plague.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:48 PM

Well that is good news, COflower. I guess I was being overly cautious because I understand the 4 corners area is where the hantavirus started or was first discovered.

Does anyone have to give their dogs heartworm medication?

Old 10-01-2006, 02:11 AM

28 posts, read 142,554 times
Are there a lot of mosquitos in CO? My horse is allergic to them.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I think Coflower's advice is spot on.

I moved from Colorado to Florida, and the difference in mosquitoes has been interesting.
There are more mosquitoes here than in Colorado, but they seem so slow and lazy compared to the vicious skeeters in Colorado. The bites are not nearly as bad here. I can only assume that the ones in Denver were hungrier?
I did hear of a horse getting Nile disease, but it recovered. Colorado State University's veterinary school is top notch and always has the latest information as well as treatment.

In Denver, we gave our dogs heartworm meds from May through November, then took a break over the winter.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I think Coflower's advice is spot on.

I moved from Colorado to Florida, and the difference in mosquitoes has been interesting.
There are more mosquitoes here than in Colorado, but they seem so slow and lazy compared to the vicious skeeters in Colorado. The bites are not nearly as bad here. I can only assume that the ones in Denver were hungrier?
I did hear of a horse getting Nile disease, but it recovered. Colorado State University's veterinary school is top notch and always has the latest information as well as treatment.

In Denver, we gave our dogs heartworm meds from May through November, then took a break over the winter.
Glad to hear that the horse recovered from West Nile virus. Even though we don't have wnv here where I live, I give my horse the vaccine just in case it does happen to show up someday. Maybe someday, the wnv vaccine will be available for humans, cats and/or dogs.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michinmich View Post
Are there a lot of mosquitos in CO? My horse is allergic to them.
Michinmich,

Did you see this map? Maybe it will help you. It looks current, but only reports mosquito infections - I'm assuming a horse vaccinated for wnv, that got bit and did not contract the disease would not be reported. But it is still an mosquito bite incident.

http://diseasemaps.usgs.gov/wnv_us_mosquito.html

For CO specifically:

http://diseasemaps.usgs.gov/wnv_co_mosquito.html

Old 10-02-2006, 11:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Hanta virus was discovered in the Four Corners area but it's not a normal thing. They have found it close to the Front Range too and warn us every year to just be cautious if there are rodent droppings. It specifically comes from deer mice which I believe their habitat to be mostly southern Colorado and into New Mexico.

As for mosquitos, it depends on where you are. Of course living near water that stands (low ponds, barrels of unclean water, tires left out in the rain, etc...) stagnant is common. Typically they come out mostly in the late summer when it's been drier and streams or ponds start to dry up.

I don't recall hearing about but one person in the state (maybe two) that came down with West Nile this year and I am not sure about the equine population. The person(s) that got West Nile were older. Simple use of DEET at dusk and dawn and people should be fine.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:29 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Been a long time since this thread was active, but Hantavirus in the Four Corners area is in the news.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
I've cleaned some places I probably shouldn't have or should have have been much much more careful in. Mask, etc. Will try to be more careful. Mice can get almost anywhere so the threat can be almost anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado