U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:04 AM

4,327 posts, read 1,789,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
This isn't to say being in Colorado X number of years automatically wipes away your place of birth, but more psychologically, when would most of you stop thinking of a transplant as a transplant?

I was sort of curious, since I do know people who moved here so young, they don't remember living anyplace else (for example, at the age of two or three).

There are others who may have moved here when older, but have lived here longer than wherever it is they originally came from. Myself, I fall into a 'gray area' regarding that, I suppose. I left the St. Louis area physically at the age of 18, but the Army needed a 'home of record' until I was discharged, so technically speaking, I was still a Missouri resident until I was 23. As far as physical location, however, I've actually been in Colorado longer than I have Missouri.

So not so much, "Do you consider them natives at a certain point" as "Do you stop considering them transplants at a certain point"? Do you have a term in your head for such people?
If your not born in Colorado you will always be impure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:33 AM

11,057 posts, read 12,406,241 times
Unless you're a Ute Indian, you're a transplant. Anyway, since we don't have checkpoints at borders (yet) it doesn't matter. I told someone years ago when I moved here from Arkansas, I have a Colorado drivers license, and more importantly a City Market card, so I'm a Colorado citizen.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:55 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
This isn't to say being in Colorado X number of years automatically wipes away your place of birth, but more psychologically, when would most of you stop thinking of a transplant as a transplant?

I was sort of curious, since I do know people who moved here so young, they don't remember living anyplace else (for example, at the age of two or three).

There are others who may have moved here when older, but have lived here longer than wherever it is they originally came from. Myself, I fall into a 'gray area' regarding that, I suppose. I left the St. Louis area physically at the age of 18, but the Army needed a 'home of record' until I was discharged, so technically speaking, I was still a Missouri resident until I was 23. As far as physical location, however, I've actually been in Colorado longer than I have Missouri.

So not so much, "Do you consider them natives at a certain point" as "Do you stop considering them transplants at a certain point"? Do you have a term in your head for such people?
Well, I have lived in Colorado since age 4 with a brief break when my Dad was stationed in Germany for a couple of years and I consider myself to be a Colorado native. My memories of my place of birth - Kentucky - come mostly from memories of summers spent with my grandparents.

I think being a transplant is a state of mind. Once you stop asking stuff like "Is it always this brown?" or posting things like "I have a budget of $100.00/month and have dedicated my life to living in Aspen. Please, no "mean" replies!" then I'd say that the "transplant" was finally starting to grow roots.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:14 PM

641 posts, read 384,518 times
I don't really think of husband as a transplant, because he came here as a young child... I guess he is, but I'd say 20 years or so for anyone who's an adult or basically one.

I don't quite like the term native as we use it.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I don't quite like the term native as we use it.
You are glad to NOT be a Colo native if you go to Wyoming (going as a 'non-greenie' is safer) and MUCH more welcoming!

You can always nab some WY license plates at your first stop!

(ezr in the dark, and BE CAREFUL (hand carry))

Old 10-19-2017, 03:59 AM

4,798 posts, read 4,901,271 times
I don't think it matters, but now that I've lived here 40 years and I'm not yet 80 years old, I've spent the majority of my life in Colorado. Call me a native.

I moved here from the Phoenix area in 1977. When I now return to Phoenix, I easily get lost. The old places we used to go to have been torn down. Some of them have become freeway on ramps. The Phoenix I remember no longer exists.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:21 AM

4,656 posts, read 1,328,429 times
I always wonder what the Utes think when I see a "Colorado Native" sticker. I certainly know what I'm thinking.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:30 AM

4,327 posts, read 1,789,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've lived here 40 years and I'm not yet 80 years old, I've spent the majority of my life in Colorado. Call me a native.
You are not a native but a interloper

Old 10-19-2017, 08:32 AM

517 posts, read 257,124 times
I moved to Colorado from San Diego when I was 16. It felt like I would never get used to it, everything felt so foreign and strange. When I was 18, I went back to CA to visit, and I was homesick for Denver while I was there.

I lived in Colorado for 43 years. Got married, raised kids, got divorced, had grandkids and got married again. My kids were true natives. I would always be considered to be a transplant, but in my heart CO was my home. Due to many circumstances, we left Colorado 2 years ago, but when people ask me where I am from, I answer Colorado.

Back in the 70's there was a popular bumper sticker with the mountain graphic of the license plate that said "NATIVE". I had the same bumper sticker but mine said "ALIEN".

To answer the OP's question, you can never truly be a native unless you were born there, but just like an exotic plant transplanted into a garden far away, you become part of the landscape that blossoms and bears fruit no differently than the rest of the garden.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:39 AM

8,045 posts, read 5,849,876 times
A story is told of a pregnant woman from Nantucket whose family and husbands family were both many generations on the island. She had to go off island to see the doctor and gave birth just before the boat docked at her home port. Years later the women on the island would talk about the baby as she grew up and remarked, "She's not from the Island, you know."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or