U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2017, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,216 posts, read 12,025,463 times
Reputation: 16546

Advertisements

Gee...if you went to school here and graduated I think you are a Native, personally,
no matter where you were born.
I've been here 31 years this month...I'm not a Native in my mind...lucky, but
not a Native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 AM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,104,060 times
Reputation: 679
I am a legal alien resident according to my girlfriend ....I am not from this planet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
2,254 posts, read 4,508,469 times
Reputation: 2458
If you've been here more than 2 months, you are a native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,331 posts, read 1,790,925 times
Reputation: 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
If you've been here more than 2 months, you are a native.
No its in the birth you fool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,184 posts, read 2,624,651 times
Reputation: 2213
IMO it's 2 years to no longer be considered a transplant. Enough to be familiar with a fair amount of things in CO and have some social network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,055 posts, read 2,084,054 times
Reputation: 3548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Unless you're a Ute Indian, you're a transplant.
Well, the Utes transplanted themselves here 1000 years ago, so at what point is the cut off? We could also slice this in such a manner that the modern building technology is such that it allows residents to occupy and be born into areas of such diverse geography that the Utes would not have physically occupied because of their lifestyle, so wouldn't they be native to that space?

We're really slicing the semantics of it all. You move here, you're a transplant, you assimilate to it all, you're a local. You're adopted to the sate,county, city with the same rights, responsibilities, and expectations as someone naturally born here. When new transplants come here, you assist with your knowledge and are viewed as local. The cycle has been repeating for so long it is a social norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 AM
 
7,335 posts, read 16,598,172 times
Reputation: 4567
I think it’s how a person presents themselves. If anyone was to go inside our house, when we lived in Parker, many things (ceramic figures and pictures) were Western and cowboy themed. Like I stated in a previous post, “nobody would have thought we moved to Colorado from So California”.

If, and when, we return to Colorado, the pictures on walls we have right now, boat docks and lighthouses, will be replaced with Western and cowboy pics. Not everyone in Colorado would have house decor like us, but that’s what we will like again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 AM
 
540 posts, read 256,023 times
Reputation: 405
its the same interweb no matter where you go in the US these days. Otherwise education & travel help round up the deplorable Hatfield–McCoy s before they settle into ColoradoSprings.

serious tho
Denver is accepting. New arrivals seldom escape their personal issues by re locating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
8,045 posts, read 5,854,076 times
Reputation: 9780
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
<>New arrivals seldom escape their personal issues by re locating.
Motto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,060 posts, read 12,411,987 times
Reputation: 26003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Well, the Utes transplanted themselves here 1000 years ago, so at what point is the cut off? We could also slice this in such a manner that the modern building technology is such that it allows residents to occupy and be born into areas of such diverse geography that the Utes would not have physically occupied because of their lifestyle, so wouldn't they be native to that space?

We're really slicing the semantics of it all. You move here, you're a transplant, you assimilate to it all, you're a local. You're adopted to the sate,county, city with the same rights, responsibilities, and expectations as someone naturally born here. When new transplants come here, you assist with your knowledge and are viewed as local. The cycle has been repeating for so long it is a social norm.

But did the Utes have a City Market card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top