U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,251,600 times

Advertisements

This isn't to say being in Colorado X number of years automatically wipes away your place of birth, but more psychologically, when would most of you stop thinking of a transplant as a transplant?

I was sort of curious, since I do know people who moved here so young, they don't remember living anyplace else (for example, at the age of two or three).

There are others who may have moved here when older, but have lived here longer than wherever it is they originally came from. Myself, I fall into a 'gray area' regarding that, I suppose. I left the St. Louis area physically at the age of 18, but the Army needed a 'home of record' until I was discharged, so technically speaking, I was still a Missouri resident until I was 23. As far as physical location, however, I've actually been in Colorado longer than I have Missouri.

So not so much, "Do you consider them natives at a certain point" as "Do you stop considering them transplants at a certain point"? Do you have a term in your head for such people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 06:40 PM

5,323 posts, read 7,172,509 times
Personally, a native is someone who was born and raised here. But even if you're not technically a native, that doesn't mean I think of you as a 'transplant', either. Unless you're really pretty new here - maybe 5 years or less - I just think of you as a fellow Coloradan.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
age 84, and been in Colorado 83 yrs?... You are a 'transplant'.

Many of the Colorado 'born and bred' were exiled in the 1960's - 1990's. (and still happening)

We have had to (re) make our homes / ranches / farms elsewhere.

That takes a LOT of work / time / sweat / blood / money.

Please enjoy what we left behind!, hope it has been acceptable!

Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
It's impossible to be a "native" of some place that you weren't born in. Dictionary definition of native is: "a person born in a specified place or associated with a place by birth, whether subsequently resident there or not."

I was born and raised in Washington, DC, but lived for 40 years in Colorado. Technically I'm still a native Washingtonian, and not a native Coloradan. I was in my mid 20s when I moved to Colorado. Maybe someone who moved there at two or three years old would almost be considered a native.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,818,915 times
Just like in medicine, a transplant is always a transplant. And don't forget to take your anti-rejection medication so the natives will like you.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,081,073 times
I believe almost-native or semi-native is what the bumper stickers called it.

To me, they are just neighbors.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,110,910 times
"Natives" - after awhile - starts sounding a bit like "the natives are restless", i.e. savages, etc. LOL

It might be that a transplant becomes a local (let's maybe use that word) not based on number of years living here, but if they seem to blend in with the typical, average person. In other words, they seem like they might have been born here. That can happen quickly for some, maybe 5 or more years for others, or maybe even decades. So it's a transition of personality and vibe, rather than time and the calendar.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
"Natives" - after awhile - starts sounding a bit like "the natives are restless", i.e. savages, etc. LOL....
Or like that line from old movies...."the natives are revolting"....to which the cynical leading actor says "they sure are."

While living in COLO SPGS we saw some NON-NATIVE bumper stickers and over the years saw ever fewer of the NATIVE variety.

So, if your parents took you to a new state when you were a child, are you subject to the DACA? Hmmm... jus' saying...

Speaking of revolting....the topic of who's a native and who's a transplant and all that other malarkey is just plain fatiguing ...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
I'd say, to a point, when a person stops talking about how much they miss the state/city they came from. When I lived in So California, but originally a Hoosier, I seen some bumper stickers that read "I Love (a heart) NY). Really pissed off some So Cal people who loved So Cal and wondered why anyone would live there and have a bumper sticker that said that.

I think people aren't considered "outsiders" when they act and talk like they love the state they are in. Wife and I were very glad to leave So Cal and move to Colorado/Front Range. Nobody ever thought we had lived in So Cal, because we rarely talked about the area.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
"Natives" - after awhile - starts sounding a bit like "the natives are restless", i.e. savages, etc. LOL

It might be that a transplant becomes a local (let's maybe use that word) not based on number of years living here, but if they seem to blend in with the typical, average person. In other words, they seem like they might have been born here. That can happen quickly for some, maybe 5 or more years for others, or maybe even decades. So it's a transition of personality and vibe, rather than time and the calendar.

Thank you, this is exactly it and I'd agree, this transition can happen very quickly for some, and never for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or