U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:40 AM

5,285 posts, read 2,733,498 times

Advertisements

Getting up the climbs is not the problem. Even tiny-engined cars can climb up very steep roads that have decent surfaces. What they don’t do is climb steep, long grades FAST. Downshifting and revving more can help a little. Plan ahead. For example, if you see cars whizzing by in the left lane and a loaded semi is in the right lane going up I-70, prepare to downshift and follow the semi until the left lane is clear. If you jump into the left lane and just sit there losing speed up the climb, you will regret it.

Around town, you won’t have to do anything special. The car will be fine if you use common sense and don’t run crap tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 AM

830 posts, read 645,351 times
You lose approximately 3.5% of your horsepower for every 1,000 feet of elevation gain, so in Denver you're down 26 horsepower from your original 141 (at the Eisenhower Tunnel, 11,000+ feet, you'll be down more than 54 horsepower).

Yes you can make it up pretty much anywhere (normal paved roads) but you'll be slow, so stay in the right lane on four-lane roads and on two-lane roads, if you get cars behind you pull over (I believe it's the law in Colorado).

The only way to avoid power lost is get a turbocharged or supercharged car.
Many of the newer cars are going to turbocharged smaller displacement motors for a number of reasons ... Subaru has always had turbocharged models, Ford has their EcoBoost which are turbocharged and most of Porsche's new models are turbocharged.

As mentioned winter tires make a huge difference even with all-wheel drive (obviously AWD) doesn't help you stop and doesn't do a whole lot to help you turn). Many YouTube videos show how much better winter tires are than all season (aka "no season") tires.

Enjoy your new environment !! :-)

Old 10-26-2017, 12:03 PM

5,285 posts, read 2,733,498 times
Remember that other cars will lose hp, too. It’s not just your car, meaning many people will be slowing down uphill as well.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:23 PM

59 posts, read 32,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Get a set of winter tires for driving up snowboarding . You’ll be fine.
At least get chains if you plan to venture into the mountains during the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
If you have a 4 cylinder, you'll notice it on steep, sustained hills. Try to get the revs up. Might need to downshift. Being passed is alright in general but some crazies can't wait. Sometimes you can / should pull off if there is a good spot.
My daughter has a 4 cylinder Mazda 2 and quickly learned what "low gear" means on her 4 speed automatic. Turn off the overdrive and be prepared to downshift on steep hills. Downhill too because that will save your brakes.

Driving 70 west from Denver into the mountains isn't a joke. Mountain driving is a whole different breed. A manual transmission is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-26-2017 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 10-27-2017, 04:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,340 posts, read 39,622,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak On a Leash View Post
At least get chains if you plan to venture into the mountains during the winter.

Cable chains preferred on roads and light snow. Light and ez to install. Much better when running on ice or bare road.

My daughter has a 4 cylinder Mazda 2 and quickly learned what "low gear" means on her 4 speed automatic. Turn off the overdrive and be prepared to downshift on steep hills. Downhill too because that will save your brakes.

Driving 70 west from Denver into the mountains isn't a joke. Mountain driving is a whole different breed. A manual transmission is a wonderful thing.
be extra careful when compression braking with front wheel drive on slick roads. You can lose traction AND steering and your rear will want to swap with your front end,

‘Skid school’ is great for pre-season training!

Old 10-27-2017, 04:41 AM

4,760 posts, read 4,873,552 times
Hey man, back in 1966 when I first visited my brother in Denver, he had just a '66 VW Beetle with just 40 hp at sea level.

We drove that puppy over the continental divide many times where its hp had lessened to about 30. We made it; just downshift.

If you are not in a hurry, just move over to the right hand lane and mellow.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:01 AM

15,011 posts, read 11,953,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrid View Post
I plan on living in the city but would like to travel out to the front range for hiking, snowboarding, exploring, etc.
You'll do fine...even on passes...I do, however, tell
people when you can ,boy, will you love a 6 cyl better, next buy.
A story:
I had a little 4 cyl Toyota truck, rear wheel drive only , weight in the back, new tires, studded in the rear....Eisenhower pass was closed BIG time ...i think i kissed the ground at Frisco...the police let me through...i did fine...
I was winding my way around semi's jack knifed and small cars, sideways, completely stuck off to the sides....like a grave yard...eery...
Some cars went thru before they closed 70 behind them on the other side going West...I watched cars with NO control going downhill
banging against the concrete medians over and over....terrible sight.
Nothing much helps on sheer ice downhill!
Pls, check the forecast before you go a'hikin'!!! Charge your phone, bring water and a protein bar!
Leave nothing in your car...parking areas for hikers are notorious spots for robbers.

I know I gave too much info. I do that.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:26 AM

6,895 posts, read 6,473,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You'll do fine...even on passes...I do, however, tell
people when you can ,boy, will you love a 6 cyl better, next buy.

Or the 4cyl turbo these days.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,340 posts, read 39,622,040 times
Yes.... definitely go to a turbo or blower when driving at elevation. (Forced induction, but more maint.

An evil VW Tdi when possible

50 mpg, 1250 miles between fills, & no dinosaurs or fossil fuels required (since 1976 While in Colorado for me). 66,000 gal of fossil fuels saved for you gas ‘ick’ burners.
3+ million miles, never towed for repair. Never failed emissions (no emissions detectable when using veggie / biodiesel)

CO (light crispy snow, bright sunny days, bright starry nights) was very ez snow. / mtn driving compared to the pacific north wet.... lots of ice, freezing rain, wet a heavy snow. I never needed studs or even snow tires during my 28 yrs on CO. Plenty of mtn trips with 48-52 hp VW diesels

Old 10-27-2017, 08:20 AM

6,895 posts, read 6,473,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes.... definitely go to a turbo or blower when driving at elevation. (Forced induction, but more maint.

An evil VW Tdi when possible

50 mpg, 1250 miles between fills, & no dinosaurs or fossil fuels required (since 1976 While in Colorado for me). 66,000 gal of fossil fuels saved for you gas ‘ick’ burners.
3+ million miles, never towed for repair. Never failed emissions (no emissions detectable when using veggie / biodiesel)

CO (light crispy snow, bright sunny days, bright starry nights) was very ez snow. / mtn driving compared to the pacific north wet.... lots of ice, freezing rain, wet a heavy snow. I never needed studs or even snow tires during my 28 yrs on CO. Plenty of mtn trips with 48-52 hp VW diesels
I’m a big fan of the little Tdis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or