U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2017, 11:17 AM
 
1,314 posts, read 1,727,028 times
Reputation: 1683

Advertisements

I was shocked to read the following on CBS news site:
"Kicking off the list of states with highest rates of fatal overdose from painkillers is Colorado - 25.8 percent of citizens in the state died from drug overdose."
Wondering why this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2017, 11:31 AM
 
20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Reputation: 19046
Here's a map of opioid death rates by county. Colorado has some high rates in a few southern counties but the state looks far better than others.

http://cdn.static-economist.com/site...311_woc097.png

Last year in the USA we had about 60,000 overdose deaths which is more deaths in one year then we lost during the 10 years of the Vietnam War. That statistic should make everyone sit up and take notice....
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 02:51 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 1,321,570 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I was shocked to read the following on CBS news site:
"Kicking off the list of states with highest rates of fatal overdose from painkillers is Colorado - 25.8 percent of citizens in the state died from drug overdose."
Wondering why this is?
That figure cannot be correct. I looked it up and that is what the CBS website says, but that cannot be correct. That is stating that a quarter of the state's people are dead from overdoses? That would mean 1.375 million people died from overdoses. Perhaps it should read, '25.8% of total deaths can be attributed to overdoes.' As usual, someone at CBS isn't doing his job.

This site gives actual statistics: Colorado’s opioid and heroin overdose deaths outnumbered homicides in 2015 – The Denver Post

"In 2015, 329 people died in Colorado from an overdose of some kind of prescription opioid, either a natural opioid, a synthetic one such as fentanyl, or methadone."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 03:28 PM
 
641 posts, read 383,841 times
Reputation: 881
One of my childhood neighbors died this last summer, and my other was my best friend, and she's been an addict a few years and is homeless living off West Colfax. Sepsis, infections, etc. I'm surprised she's still alive, but she's largely been MIA for 5 months.

Both grew up in Lakewood and were/are only 25.

Then I have another much older friend who does harm reduction in Denver.

It's really incredibly sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,902 posts, read 6,492,373 times
Reputation: 7348
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
That figure cannot be correct. I looked it up and that is what the CBS website says, but that cannot be correct. That is stating that a quarter of the state's people are dead from overdoses? That would mean 1.375 million people died from overdoses. Perhaps it should read, '25.8% of total deaths can be attributed to overdoes.' As usual, someone at CBS isn't doing his job.

This site gives actual statistics: Coloradoís opioid and heroin overdose deaths outnumbered homicides in 2015 Ė The Denver Post

"In 2015, 329 people died in Colorado from an overdose of some kind of prescription opioid, either a natural opioid, a synthetic one such as fentanyl, or methadone."
It could be that 25% of accidental deaths are attributed to opioids. That I would believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 06:01 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 1,321,570 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It could be that 25% of accidental deaths are attributed to opioids. That I would believe.
Yes, but they need to clarify that in the article. That isn't what was written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 06:17 PM
 
20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Reputation: 19046
I believe this will solve the controversy ....which I got by finding the article and looking at the slides....

The correct stat is 25.8 deaths per 100,000 people. The slide for Colorado was written incorrectly.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,902 posts, read 6,492,373 times
Reputation: 7348
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Yes, but they need to clarify that in the article. That isn't what was written.
Itís a terrible click bait list. Colorado is 15th highest but the wording makes it seem like itís first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 10:57 PM
 
13,290 posts, read 25,455,947 times
Reputation: 20353
Former poster Jazzlover (who left Colorado for various reasons) warned me about "black tar heroin" making its way across the Western Slope and degrading life thereof. He couldn't have known that my current home, Middlesex County in Massachusetts, is the leading county or close to it for black tar heroin/fentynl ODs and deaths, and it's generally a well-educated, affluent middle-class area. No news in that warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2017, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,902 posts, read 6,492,373 times
Reputation: 7348
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Former poster Jazzlover (who left Colorado for various reasons) warned me about "black tar heroin" making its way across the Western Slope and degrading life thereof. He couldn't have known that my current home, Middlesex County in Massachusetts, is the leading county or close to it for black tar heroin/fentynl ODs and deaths, and it's generally a well-educated, affluent middle-class area. No news in that warning.
Yes. Sadly a national epidemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top