U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:33 AM

4,321 posts, read 1,783,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Hello to all,

My wife and I are on our last night of our vacation to Colorado, and yet again we feel saddened to leave to head home and leave the state. The title of this thread says it all, and I feel I HAVE to be missing something about Colorado, as everything simply seems amazing when we are here.

This was our 4th time to Colorado. We have explored Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs and this time Estes Park (Favorite so far). Each time we visit a new area here, we find ourselves saying the same thing “We would love it here”. First off we love the mountains & outdoors, obviously plenty of that here. The people are sooooooooooo friendly compared to where we currently are. Everything is super laid back, and quality of life just comes off as great. So that leads again to, are we missing or not seeing something?

We are seriously considering a move to the area. My work can take me anywhere and my wife works from home, so relocating is no issue. Everyone says the area is pricey (and it is definitely expensive), however we currently pay $2200 for a very small 2bd 1bath, so the thought of paying $1500 is welcoming. Taxes are lower compared to where we are now, and we simply aren’t happy where we are. We definitely prefer a suburb type area compared to living in somewhere like Denver.

Basically, what are the negatives that I am not seeing while here, and is Colorado a great place to settle down in like it seems?
Yes it is to good to be true the state is officially full as of 10/26/17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 AM

1,856 posts, read 530,122 times
It's an extremely dry climate that is not physically agreeable to everyone. Dehydration issues come in many forms, and for some never go away just get worse over the years (and no, drinking lots of water is not the solution). I really liked the front range and the people were great overall aside from a pretty high percentage of self important snobs. But I would never move back simply due to the climate.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:01 AM

5,306 posts, read 2,752,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I also hope I haven't overestimated the friendliness. Maybe it's more of a comment on how not-friendly my current eastern Mass. environment is. I've been told I belong elsewhere for my ability to start conversations. I honestly would be surprised if I ever made a new friend here near Boston and it seems very different in my future town in Colorado.
I moved from the Boston area about 30 years ago. I grew up there. Yes, part of your perception is going from a fairly insular (oddly, despite being cosmopolitan also) social culture to an interior-western one that is more open and relaxed.

However—and this is a big however—friendliness to vacationers is not the same as welcoming to new transplants. I did not have any problems with hostility when I moved to the Front Range those long years ago, and I have not encountered any upon our move back to CO (western slope). But remember that any irritating things about you that a local can shrug off for a temporary visitor might not be forgiven or overlooked in someone coming to stay. Big no-no anywhere is to roll in and immediately start trying to make major changes to how things are done, without having spent a good time just observing how things work (or don’t work). This is not meant to make excuses for doing nothing. Sometimes a place needs a kick in the pants from a fresh set of eyes. But arbitrarily trying to make someplace more like where you came from comes across as just plain arrogant.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:12 AM

5,306 posts, read 2,752,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I'd say more friendly than the east coast, but less so than other places I've lived, including the Midwest and Southern California. The people have a reserved quality to them and tend to keep to themselves until you get to know them. Most all our neighbors are friendly and we have developed good relationships with many fo them. But, it's been my experience, Colorado is not the sort of place where people will strike up a conversation with you while waiting in the supermarket check out line or say thank you when you hold a door for them.
I agree about the reserved nature, which I love. But the times I have held a door open for someone, they did thank me. And when I have thanked someone for doing the same, they have said, “You’re welcome” with a genuine smile, AND then when I then went to leave, their friend hurried over to open the door for me, too. Your own courtesy tends to go a long way in perpetuating more of the same. There is a give-and-take here that I appreciate.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:40 AM

4,657 posts, read 1,321,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I agree about the reserved nature, which I love. But the times I have held a door open for someone, they did thank me. And when I have thanked someone for doing the same, they have said, “You’re welcome” with a genuine smile, AND then when I then went to leave, their friend hurried over to open the door for me, too. Your own courtesy tends to go a long way in perpetuating more of the same. There is a give-and-take here that I appreciate.
Not sure if that line was a slam to me, but that is how it is read. I'm a courteous person, who does hold doors and does say please and thank you and all I know is that I have held the door or picked something up for someone, who had a baby in their hands for example and it wasn't acknowledged-more than a few times, I have had a door or two not held for me, I have had my 'hello' on a trail ignored more than a few times and I have encountered more than a few clerks in stores, who didn't return a greeting.

And, that's fine, however, as I don't base my own worth on how other react and it's all subjective, but the point is that there isn't a friendliness here, at least on much of the Front Range that one will find in some other parts of the country. That said, it is certainly more friendly than some other parts of the country. However, people moving here should know about and understand the nature of friendliness here.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Not sure if that line was a slam to me, but that is how it is read. I'm a courteous person, who does hold doors and does say please and thank you and all I know is that I have held the door or picked something up for someone, who had a baby in their hands for example and it wasn't acknowledged-more than a few times, I have had a door or two not held for me, I have had my 'hello' on a trail ignored more than a few times and I have encountered more than a few clerks in stores, who didn't return a greeting.

And, that's fine, however, as I don't base my own worth on how other react and it's all subjective, but the point is that there isn't a friendliness here, at least on much of the Front Range that one will find in some other parts of the country. That said, it is certainly more friendly than some other parts of the country. However, people moving here should know about and understand the nature of friendliness here.
I think people are less friendly on the East Coast

Old 10-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I think people are less friendly on the East Coast
Absolutely! And, many of those one will encounter with, what I consider rude behavior have migrated here from the East Coast.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I would agree, but only when it comes to parts of the Front Range - and not all of them. I've lived in south central Colorado now for close to three years and it's just as friendly here, if not more so, than any part of the Midwest I've been to. I think it just comes down to town size, really. But I think that applies to any state, not just Colorado. It's that small town culture.
Yes, lots of transplants along the Front Range, urban and fewer personal connections are all causes of that, for sure. May I ask which town or area? If you don't want to answer, I understand. We have just bought a weekend/investment house down that way and looking forward to eventually making it our primary residence. Nothing beats a small town atmosphere, if employment isn't a major issue.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Absolutely! And, many of those one will encounter with, what I consider rude behavior have migrated here from the East Coast.
I have certainly noticed a shift in Colorado Springs. As the population grows traffic gets worse people seem like they are always in a hurry rude behavior is more pronounced. I do like housing going up though.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:51 AM

3,042 posts, read 2,074,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Basically, what are the negatives that I am not seeing while here, and is Colorado a great place to settle down in like it seems?
Negatives? Altitude, variable weather, earthquakes (yes we get them, but small ones), tornados (yes we get them too, typically small ones), blizzards, hail storms (large ones with car shattering possibilities), searing heat, extended droughts, forest fires, mudslides, environmental catastrophies such as toxic mine spills, beetles kill in forests and invasion water species, mountains of tumbleweeds, extreme ultra-violet exposure, skin cancers, high suicide rates, radon exposure, extensive fracking, radical liberalism, radical conservatism, squatters and joblessness, increasing traffic congestion, brown clouds and winter inversions, anti-tax zealots, hypocritical evangelicals, unhappy neighboring states, progressive politics, conservative politics, nature is at our disposal consumers, nature must be saved at all cost residents, ever increasing automobile registrations costs, frustratingly long registration process, increasing insurance rates, crumbling infrastructure, resistance to change, insistence on change...

The list can go on quite extensively and is varied depending on where you may end up living, where you are coming from, and what filters you bring with you. The Colorado marketing machine has been in high gear since the 1870s. It is relentless in its ability to persuade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado