U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:01 AM

1,857 posts, read 533,916 times

Advertisements

You left out housing costs, which are spiraling out of control due to the near total absense of starter homes for sale. If you are rich there is plenty to choose from, and almost nothing under $300k north of the Springs unless you don't mind living in an attached structure. This wouldn't be that big a deal expept the wages have not even remotely kept pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 11:07 AM

4,325 posts, read 1,789,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
You left out housing costs, which are spiraling out of control due to the near total absense of starter homes for sale. If you are rich there is plenty to choose from, and almost nothing under $300k north of the Springs unless you don't mind living in an attached structure. This wouldn't be that big a deal expept the wages have not even remotely kept pace.
Builders need to build up high density housing is more efficient.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:36 AM

4,656 posts, read 1,328,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I have certainly noticed a shift in Colorado Springs. As the population grows traffic gets worse people seem like they are always in a hurry rude behavior is more pronounced. I do like housing going up though.
Would like to see some variety in the housing options. Up here on the northern Front Range, we are still seeing tons of land being developed, with real, noticeable changes monthly as the sprawl continues to accelerate. We do have some denser projects going on, too, but much of the new construction is the same you will find elsewhere, endless curving stroads ending in cul-de-sacs without any walkable access really. Many people want that and it should be an option, but we need denser development in urban areas, too.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:16 PM

13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
or say thank you when you hold a door for them.
This agitates me to no end.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Estes Park was a great place to grow up in the 1960 - 1970’s

We left CO in 1980 due to crowds and taxes, but we still visit often. (Such as last week)

My retired friends who moved to Loveland, say they really enjoy Estes Park much more, now that they can pick their ‘midweek’ nice days to visit.

There are a lot of great places in CO, and Estes is still a Favorite. There are many great FT residents and activities.

Water shourtage and political strife will keep us from ever moving back home. But it is fine for those who did not experience and work their lives to create the great stuff Colorado was built from.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:22 PM

7,669 posts, read 8,958,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Hello to all,

My wife and I are on our last night of our vacation to Colorado, and yet again we feel saddened to leave to head home and leave the state. The title of this thread says it all, and I feel I HAVE to be missing something about Colorado, as everything simply seems amazing when we are here.

This was our 4th time to Colorado. We have explored Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs and this time Estes Park (Favorite so far). Each time we visit a new area here, we find ourselves saying the same thing “We would love it here”. First off we love the mountains & outdoors, obviously plenty of that here. The people are sooooooooooo friendly compared to where we currently are. Everything is super laid back, and quality of life just comes off as great. So that leads again to, are we missing or not seeing something?

We are seriously considering a move to the area. My work can take me anywhere and my wife works from home, so relocating is no issue. Everyone says the area is pricey (and it is definitely expensive), however we currently pay $2200 for a very small 2bd 1bath, so the thought of paying $1500 is welcoming. Taxes are lower compared to where we are now, and we simply aren’t happy where we are. We definitely prefer a suburb type area compared to living in somewhere like Denver.

Basically, what are the negatives that I am not seeing while here, and is Colorado a great place to settle down in like it seems?
I don't live and have never lived in Colorado but this got my attention. I'm from Montana and we always had people fall in love with the area when they came on vacation and then moved within about six months. The problem was that they came in summer and found winters were cold. They found that cost of living was high. They found that they weren't relaxed all the time since they still had to have jobs and their problems still followed them.

I'm not saying not to move to Colorado. Just be aware that the novelty will wear off. You're doing your homework which is great.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:01 PM

129 posts, read 164,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Yes, lots of transplants along the Front Range, urban and fewer personal connections are all causes of that, for sure. May I ask which town or area?
I lived in Salida for two years, but I bought a home down in the San Luis Valley earlier this year. I'm still in Salida most of the week for my job, though. Getting back to your question - the friendly small-town culture has been present in most towns out this way. I can't really think of any town out here that has left a bad taste in my mouth in terms of friendliness. Some people are more open than others, but I've never felt like people were 'city rude' in any of the towns out this way. I think the key is just being respectful of the character of whatever place you're in and people seem to warm up to you after that.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:38 PM

4,656 posts, read 1,328,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I lived in Salida for two years, but I bought a home down in the San Luis Valley earlier this year. I'm still in Salida most of the week for my job, though. Getting back to your question - the friendly small-town culture has been present in most towns out this way. I can't really think of any town out here that has left a bad taste in my mouth in terms of friendliness. Some people are more open than others, but I've never felt like people were 'city rude' in any of the towns out this way. I think the key is just being respectful of the character of whatever place you're in and people seem to warm up to you after that.
Thanks for your response. We spend quite a bit of time in Salida and Buena Vista and enjoy both. Our place is outside Westcliffe, which we have also enjoyed and we like because of the quietness. I think that area of Colorado is the 'best' and really my favorite area, with towns that are still real and not overly developed.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:09 PM

5,323 posts, read 7,172,509 times
I don't think I've ever had someone not say thank you to me for holding a door here. Maybe Colorado Springs is somehow different from the rest of the state, I don't know.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:24 PM

295 posts, read 234,800 times
Two words about CO - no ocean.

Walessp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado