U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 02:28 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,500,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Two words about CO - no ocean.

Walessp
And that’s okay with me. Not everyone is obsessed with the ocean. I’d much rather be surrounded by the great outdoors and mountains any day of the week.

We live about an hour(ish) from the Ocean now, I hardly ever go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I don't live and have never lived in Colorado but this got my attention. I'm from Montana and we always had people fall in love with the area when they came on vacation and then moved within about six months. The problem was that they came in summer and found winters were cold. They found that cost of living was high. They found that they weren't relaxed all the time since they still had to have jobs and their problems still followed them.

I'm not saying not to move to Colorado. Just be aware that the novelty will wear off. You're doing your homework which is great.
Well during our visit this time, it snowed one day, and temps were in the 30’s during the day, and teens at night. We also hiked at 10,000+ feet during this time. The cold is no bother to us.

Currently, where we are now is more expensive than the Colorado area, so cost of living isn’t an issue. We definitely know it’s not going to be relaxed all the time, since work must come first, but can see ourselves enjoying more in the Colorado area overall.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:40 PM

6,388 posts, read 1,267,908 times
I have lived in Littleton, CO for a total of 27 years, and I have also lived in Ohio, Alabama, Maine and SoCal. I think what other posters have said is true. People are friendly, generally, but not overwhelmingly so -- more of a just a friendly wave or a short hello as opposed to neighborhood block parties, for example; and politics do vary widely by city, although I think that Denver is definitely more liberal than what another poster suggested. (I am a political moderate, so I think I might be more objective than most people.) Also, I work with the public, and 99% of everyone I meet seems to be very nice.

Something I want to point out, however, is that at least here in Littleton, most people are NOT "in your face" about their politics. I have known people for years without knowing what they think about some issues.

In 27 years, I think my biggest gripe are the drivers here (either very slow and inconsiderate or else very aggressive), and bicyclists are everywhere in the Denver/Boulder area, and many of them are rude, aggressive and/or inconsiderate. (Although I do approve of bicyclists, the city planners should have implemented bike lanes.) Also, traffic in and around downtown and north Denver (especially I-25) is terrible, imo. (We used to love going to the Denver Museum of Natural History and the Denver Zoo, but it is so bad now to get there, that we don't even try to do that anymore.)

Old 10-29-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have lived in Littleton, CO for a total of 27 years, and I have also lived in Ohio, Alabama, Maine and SoCal. I think what other posters have said is true. People are friendly, generally, but not overwhelmingly so -- more of a just a friendly wave or a short hello as opposed to neighborhood block parties, for example; and politics do vary widely by city, although I think that Denver is definitely more liberal than what another poster suggested. (I am a political moderate, so I think I might be more objective than most people.) Also, I work with the public, and 99% of everyone I meet seems to be very nice.

Something I want to point out, however, is that at least here in Littleton, most people are NOT "in your face" about their politics. I have known people for years without knowing what they think about some issues.

In 27 years, I think my biggest gripe are the drivers here (either very slow and inconsiderate or else very aggressive), and bicyclists are everywhere in the Denver/Boulder area, and many of them are rude, aggressive and/or inconsiderate. (Although I do approve of bicyclists, the city planners should have implemented bike lanes.) Also, traffic in and around downtown and north Denver (especially I-25) is terrible, imo. (We used to love going to the Denver Museum of Natural History and the Denver Zoo, but it is so bad now to get there, that we don't even try to do that anymore.)
We definitely wouldn’t settle down in Denver. We are definitely smaller town and suburbia type people. Boulder has some appeal to us, and is within our budget. Fort Collins is also appealing. I don’t know much of other small towns/areas, so that’d be a plus to gather info on for sure.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:03 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,025,073 times
I went to school in Golden and hated my experiences in Colorado so bad I will never go back. The natural beauty was awesome, especially up on gilpin county but otherwise it sucked. I suppose it depends on what phase of life you are in, I was still looking for a mate and a job, this was Colorado almost 15 years ago so maybe those aspects have gotten better, I dont know.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:09 PM

722 posts, read 505,080 times
We are recent transplants (moved to Colorado in Jan 2016) and we love it here. We are from NM and so we are use to the dryness but for us there is more green here. It’s true, your issues will be with you wherever you go. For instance we have a special needs kiddo. We still have to deal with all of those health issues but it’s much easier being in a beautiful location. Here in our neck of Far north Colo Springs/ Monument there are a lot of live and let live folks. Everyone Is friendly but they aren’t in your business. Drivers are crazy here but what are you gonna do? There is always something anywhere you live.

If you aren’t looking for Colorado to transform your life but to enhance certain aspects of it, the state will not disappoint. Just Don’t go hoping for super green rolling hills or lots of water (or true green chile).

I’ve been told Colorado’s isn’t accepting any more transplants. I guess we snuck in somehow

Best of luck on your decision.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM

7,659 posts, read 8,947,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Well during our visit this time, it snowed one day, and temps were in the 30’s during the day, and teens at night. We also hiked at 10,000+ feet during this time. The cold is no bother to us.

Currently, where we are now is more expensive than the Colorado area, so cost of living isn’t an issue. We definitely know it’s not going to be relaxed all the time, since work must come first, but can see ourselves enjoying more in the Colorado area overall.
In this case your move might not be so bad.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:17 PM

650 posts, read 563,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Just be aware that the novelty will wear off. .
The novelty hasn’t worn off for me and I’ve been here since 2002.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:44 PM

5,306 posts, read 2,752,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Not sure if that line was a slam to me, but that is how it is read. I'm a courteous person, who does hold doors and does say please and thank you and all I know is that I have held the door or picked something up for someone, who had a baby in their hands for example and it wasn't acknowledged-more than a few times, I have had a door or two not held for me, I have had my 'hello' on a trail ignored more than a few times and I have encountered more than a few clerks in stores, who didn't return a greeting.

And, that's fine, however, as I don't base my own worth on how other react and it's all subjective, but the point is that there isn't a friendliness here, at least on much of the Front Range that one will find in some other parts of the country. That said, it is certainly more friendly than some other parts of the country. However, people moving here should know about and understand the nature of friendliness here.
No such slam was intended. It is a generic “your”. My experiences have been different from yours, though, and if someone does not act friendly I shrug it off anyway. Maybe you are taking offense a bit too easily.

I brought a toddler in from the road where a truck had stopped to avoid hitting her and was honking for the absent momma to come out. When I asked if the girl was hers, she said yeah, did not say thank you, and went right back to being a nonparenting mom. No smile, just a sullen scowl. That was in Utah. But I don’t think her behavior represented Utah moms generally. There are unfriendly people anywhere.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Two words about CO - no ocean.

Walessp
The ocean does not appeal to me, as it does others. You go to the ocean, you sit on a beach, and maybe swim or surf in the water, not much else to do. While it may be pretty, once you’ve been there many times, it’s repetitive.

Mountains & great outdoors are limitless opportunities for something different every day. Different hikes, different trails, different rock climbs, different mountain biking paths, etc...it never ends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado