U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,726,228 times

Advertisements

We have been here a year now and one of the things we did not realize was how many drifters and underemployed seem to have found their way here. Way more visible homeless than where we moved from. Don't recall seeing such numbers in years past when we visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 10:39 PM

6,519 posts, read 10,179,145 times
It took leaving Colorado for me to realize how good I had it. Will you experience the same thing? Maybe, maybe not.

Colorado's not as loony liberal as California and it's not as nutball conservative as Texas (thank god to both of those).

If you can handle the COL, the growth, and the climate you'll be off to a good start.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:11 AM

13,285 posts, read 25,444,182 times
I have largely lived my whole life within an hour or so of the Atlantic Ocean. Haven't been there for years, and have developed something of a phobia about waves and dreams of tsunami. The water is too cold in New England anyway, there's too much traffic, and many beaches lack surf (I grew up in south Jersey and expect at least some waves to listen to, if not to play in).

I am thrilled to get further away from it and into the mountains of southwest Colorado in April of 2018. The mountains awe me, and while they are a bit intimidating in their massive indifference, at least they don't go up and down and up and down and smash the house; at least, not very often.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:25 AM

4,767 posts, read 4,884,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
We have been here a year now and one of the things we did not realize was how many drifters and underemployed seem to have found their way here. Way more visible homeless than where we moved from. Don't recall seeing such numbers in years past when we visited.
I've noticed the same thing. Although our unemployment rate is now below 3%, there are still way too many guys with those cardboard signs at every intersection.

My guess is that begging like that is more lucrative than working a minimum wage job.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:58 AM

6,896 posts, read 6,482,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've noticed the same thing. Although our unemployment rate is now below 3%, there are still way too many guys with those cardboard signs at every intersection.

My guess is that begging like that is more lucrative than working a minimum wage job.
There are plenty of people who for whatever reason are not employable. May not be that they make more, but that it’s easier for them.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:19 AM

571 posts, read 280,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
The ocean does not appeal to me, as it does others. You go to the ocean, you sit on a beach, and maybe swim or surf in the water, not much else to do. While it may be pretty, once you’ve been there many times, it’s repetitive.

Mountains & great outdoors are limitless opportunities for something different every day. Different hikes, different trails, different rock climbs, different mountain biking paths, etc...it never ends
I've heard from folks that thought living on the ocean would be great but after a few years they say "The ocean never shuts up".

Old 10-30-2017, 10:38 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,501,344 times
Don't let any of your experiences influence you. Colorado is a terrible place. You don't want to move here. You will have to live in a shack down by the river...ok maybe not the river. That's prime real estate now.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:38 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,829,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There are plenty of people who for whatever reason are not employable. May not be that they make more, but that it’s easier for them.
Not merely easier, but also less demeaning than doing 9 to 5

Old 10-30-2017, 10:58 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,494,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Don't let any of your experiences influence you. Colorado is a terrible place. You don't want to move here. You will have to live in a shack down by the river...ok maybe not the river. That's prime real estate now.
And why is that? Are you implying I can’t afford housing in the area? If so, you’re simply wrong. I pay more now where I live, compared to what I would be in Colorado

Old 10-30-2017, 12:29 PM

3,042 posts, read 2,069,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Depends on if they are truly homeless or underemployed. It does seem like I see a surge in them the last half of the month, which lead me to believe there are a fair percentage of underemployed who find too much month at the end of their paycheck. At 2% unemployed, I'd say we are into the unemployable sector now. Although why anyone would want to be homeless in CO with is widely variable weather is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado