Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:06 PM

10,944 posts, read 6,982,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Let's just put it this way: Vacationing in Colorado and living in Colorado are very different things. Every year tons of people move here inspired by a vacation experience (Colorado and towns like Estes are masterful in the art of the sale). And every year many others head back home disillusioned because the rose colored glasses come off. "Too good to be true"? Yes...
I agree totally. I won't take up space here again with the details, but I've previously mentioned many reasons that my family has found that the "residential experience" does not live up to the "vacation experience". OP - You can message me directly if you want more details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 03:12 PM

6,643 posts, read 4,931,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
We definitely wouldn’t settle down in Denver. We are definitely smaller town and suburbia type people. Boulder has some appeal to us, and is within our budget. Fort Collins is also appealing. I don’t know much of other small towns/areas, so that’d be a plus to gather info on for sure.

If you can work anywhere I'd look into some other areas too. If my wife and I move back to CO it won't be on the Front Range. There's so much competition for trails, trailhead parking, climbing routes, etc. Sure it can all be done, especially if you like to get up real early. But there's so much more to the state. To me, living in the mountains would be "the dream".

Edit: One thing that does give me pause is the pine beetle. If you've visited several times you must be aware, so I won't bother with details. It would be a bummer to get a nice place in the mountains and then have the area burned out.

Last edited by hikernut; 10-30-2017 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 11:18 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,034,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
If you can work anywhere I'd look into some other areas too. If my wife and I move back to CO it won't be on the Front Range. There's so much competition for trails, trailhead parking, climbing routes, etc. Sure it can all be done, especially if you like to get up real early. But there's so much more to the state. To me, living in the mountains would be "the dream".
I agree. There are some great places in CO if you don't have to commute to work and back. There's tons of places in the mountains, but on the Front Range my picks would be east of I 25 between Castle Rock and CO Springs or west of Pueblo. Both are beautiful environments and close to a civilization.

If you've been here 4 times at different times of the year and it's clicking, then I think you'll like it for the long haul.

As far as people, they've seemed nice wherever I've been so I can't really say CO is unique there. I think the friendly people are the ones visitors are more likely to run into anywhere.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:13 AM

824 posts, read 695,326 times
you will be disappointed, no magic here

Old 10-31-2017, 08:17 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,251,552 times
no magic just Tailgaters but Florence is the nicest small town I have ever been to ..

Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,329,370 times
Not all remote areas have great internet capability, so living in the boonies to avoid congestion could backfire if you need high speed, reliable internet access.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:49 AM

6,643 posts, read 4,931,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Not all remote areas have great internet capability, so living in the boonies to avoid congestion could backfire if you need high speed, reliable internet access.

Certainly one should verify that all of the services and utilities required area available before moving, and the cost. Even in Denver metro the pricing for something as basic as water can vary widely.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM

107 posts, read 117,828 times
Over the years, without really paying much attention to the consequences,
Colorado has allowed itself to turn into a "battlegound state." We can debate
the particulars, but there are reasons that label has stuck to several American
states.
It shows up in the damndest places and ways. People who don't have much else
going for themselves find an instant identity in going right in. This is one of those
unexpected features, the damage of which can be minimized, even eliminated,
by looking before leaping, choosing carefully, avoiding places where the
battles rage, (there are plenty of them.)

Old 10-31-2017, 01:48 PM

800 posts, read 943,799 times
I used to live in Knoxville, TN, where the Smoky Mountains can be seen from higher points in the city (i.e. The Sunsphere) and can be reached by car in about 45-60 minutes depending on traffic.

People loved saying that they "loved" the mountains. But few visited the mountains regularly. I'd bet that many Knoxville residents go 5+ years without visiting the park.

I suspect that a lot of people move to Colorado and after an initial honeymoon only visit the mountains when their old out-of-town chums come out on a trip. They love to tell them how much they "love" the mountains.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:03 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I used to live in Knoxville, TN, where the Smoky Mountains can be seen from higher points in the city (i.e. The Sunsphere) and can be reached by car in about 45-60 minutes depending on traffic.

People loved saying that they "loved" the mountains. But few visited the mountains regularly. I'd bet that many Knoxville residents go 5+ years without visiting the park.

I suspect that a lot of people move to Colorado and after an initial honeymoon only visit the mountains when their old out-of-town chums come out on a trip. They love to tell them how much they "love" the mountains.
Not really the case. People who move here for the mountains go to the mountains. Traffic on I-70 to and from the mountains every weekend is a pretty decent indicator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado