U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:14 PM

6,522 posts, read 10,187,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Not really the case. People who move here for the mountains go to the mountains. Traffic on I-70 to and from the mountains every weekend is a pretty decent indicator.
In the words of the late, great Yogi Berra "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-31-2017 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 07:31 PM

4,657 posts, read 1,321,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In the words of the late, great Yogi Berra "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
A St. Louis native from my hometown!

Old 11-02-2017, 02:01 AM

83 posts, read 37,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I also hope I haven't overestimated the friendliness. Maybe it's more of a comment on how not-friendly my current eastern Mass. environment is. I've been told I belong elsewhere for my ability to start conversations. I honestly would be surprised if I ever made a new friend here near Boston and it seems very different in my future town in Colorado.
One of my high school teachers before I left NYC for college in CO: "You seem too nice to be a New Yorker. I thought you were from Long Island or Connecticut".

Me in Denver: "Wow people have manners"; (to a friend, at a "New York style" pizza place: "This isn't New York style, they wouldn't bring the pizza to you. You'd have to go get it yourself." Him: "We still have service in the West."

So I agree, there's something to be said for the difference in how people treat each other vs the East Coast.

As far as what the OP is saying: can relate. I felt the same way when I was there. Still wondering if I'm delusional, since I'd love to relocate back there soon. If you can find a couple things to complain about I think that pretty much shows you're not delusional. Realistically liking a place would just mean your complaints seem trivial next to the advantages. Also your being unhappy where you currently are (as I am also) makes the improvements seem more dramatic.

All of that said, the tourist experience alone isn't going to give the best perspective.

There are people who can't tolerate actual winters (i.e. ones where it gets cold), like being surrounded by partying socialites, and/or enjoy being surrounded by people/don't know how to be alone with themselves. I would hope these people aren't the ones populating Colorado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIPGIsmC2M

Old 11-03-2017, 11:25 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,101,737 times
I regret the Hustle and Bustle of Southern Colorado .

Old 11-04-2017, 06:39 PM

1,022 posts, read 510,033 times
Going on 17 years now & still love it every day. Our jobs were such that we could live anywhere in the US & we don't regret the decision for a minute. Of course it would be great to have more time to enjoy the outdoors, but other than that, I find the negatives pretty minor. We moved from Mpls, so CO winters (on the front range) are super mild in our POV & we love it! Snow usually melts in a day or two. That's different if you're IN the mountains. Although Mpls was the friendliest place I'd ever lived up to that point, I found CO to be friendlier (the Denver area though, not Co Springs). I very much found it a place where strangers strike up convos in line & even find that to be true in the SPrings. I don't get the "crazy drivers" comments. As someone who traveled for business every week for 10 years, I have driven virtually everywhere & I find CO drivers on the mild side & quite friendly. Not as friendly as MN drivers, but still friendly. Traffic itself has gotten significantly worse over the last 16 years. I used to go to Denver all the time, but now it's such a pita traffic-wise, that I usually just go once/month. Even just getting around Denver is a nightmare most of the time.

The negatives Denver traffic (& I-70 to the mtns) is a nightmare & the infrastructure of both the SPrings & Denver cannot handle the influx of new residents. The altitude & dry air can take its toll. The inversions are really ugly & smelly, but not that frequent & not as common outside of Denver metro. The weather in general is great, but the forecasting of the weather leaves a LOT to be desired (the mountains make it very difficult to forecast & a 50 mile difference in a storm track can be the difference between 2" & 2' of snow). The hail can be really bad & a new roof every few years is not unusual. I really can't think of any other negatives. The rest of the negatives I have found are squarely on the city I chose to live in. Parts of CO are really cool & live & let live & other parts are really conservative & religious. I would recommend that you choose an area that matches your personal values.

ETA: Oh, I remembered another one...the yards are REALLY small & the houses are very close together. That was true 17 years ago (how we ended up in the Springs) & it's even more true now. Compared to other places I've lived, these are super TINY yards here. Oh & that reminds me the other huge negative HOA's. It's hard to find a non-HOA place to live, especially in the suburbs, but even in rural areas. I've never lived in other cities that were big on HOA's before. They tried to discourage us (they couldn't ban us based on the covenants) from having such a "HUGE" yard, in our new house. 100x50 feet, not large at all by midwestern standards LOL. You have to have almost everything approved & depending on the HOA & the area, they really micro manage a LOT of things. That was the other thing, CO is very anti fencing, especially privacy fencing. It took us 16 years to move from our 'temporary" home b/c we couldn't find anywhere the HOA's allowed 6 foot privacy fencing in all that time (in the kind of neighborhood we desired). Water can also be an issue on more rural properties & there are some rather ahem 'creative' solutions to water issues for developments in some areas. If you are looking at a place with anything other than city water, I would recommend strong due diligence re; water access.

Last edited by MsMetal; 11-04-2017 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-05-2017, 04:25 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,890,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
ETA: Oh, I remembered another one...the yards are REALLY small & the houses are very close together. That was true 17 years ago (how we ended up in the Springs) & it's even more true now. Compared to other places I've lived, these are super TINY yards here. Oh & that reminds me the other huge negative HOA's. It's hard to find a non-HOA place to live, especially in the suburbs, but even in rural areas. I've never lived in other cities that were big on HOA's before. They tried to discourage us (they couldn't ban us based on the covenants) from having such a "HUGE" yard, in our new house. 100x50 feet, not large at all by midwestern standards LOL. You have to have almost everything approved & depending on the HOA & the area, they really micro manage a LOT of things. That was the other thing, CO is very anti fencing, especially privacy fencing. It took us 16 years to move from our 'temporary" home b/c we couldn't find anywhere the HOA's allowed 6 foot privacy fencing in all that time (in the kind of neighborhood we desired). Water can also be an issue on more rural properties & there are some rather ahem 'creative' solutions to water issues for developments in some areas. If you are looking at a place with anything other than city water, I would recommend strong due diligence re; water access.
Those new developments that offer only small lots with no perimeter fence allowed and the micro-managing HOAs have also made it not worth the effort for us to downsize. So we two empty nesters remain in our too big house.

We have a half acre lot with a 6' perimeter fence in a non-HOA area. I don't need the help from a committee who will hassle me because I have a car parked in my own driveway. The houses here have plenty of space between so I don't really care if my neighbor, who has his garage filled with worthless crap, parks both of his $40K cars in his own driveway.

As for the fence, we have several dogs. The fence lets us allow the dogs to be outside and play. Furthermore, we back up to a wild area. Many times, there are coyotes or deer in the wild area. The fence keeps them away.

When we finally do sell, I'll bet somebody will appreciate those features.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:57 PM

1,246 posts, read 918,519 times
Yes its too good to be true....leave

Old 11-09-2017, 03:07 PM

352 posts, read 288,808 times
I moved out here 5 1/2 years ago for a job. We lived in NoVA and hated it. I had offers in Atlanta, Austin, Seattle, and Denver. I chose Denver for the weather and cost of living at the time. I'm ready to leave Colorado. It's completely meh to me. I don't think that I'll ever come back after I leave.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 PM

6,522 posts, read 10,187,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
I moved out here 5 1/2 years ago for a job. We lived in NoVA and hated it. I had offers in Atlanta, Austin, Seattle, and Denver. I chose Denver for the weather and cost of living at the time. I'm ready to leave Colorado. It's completely meh to me. I don't think that I'll ever come back after I leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ifOMZgF0nM

Old 11-09-2017, 03:37 PM

4,657 posts, read 1,321,570 times
When it's 37 degrees out and sunny, like it is right now and I have to push up my sleeves to keep from breaking a sweat as I walk my dog, I'm reminded of how good we have it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado