U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:01 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times

Advertisements

Is there annual or at-purchase car inspection required in Colorado? I'll be moving there in April with a new car from Massachusetts. Do I remember correctly that there is quite a registration fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
You will need to get a VIN verification done before you can get your Colorado plates. On the front Range you need an emissions test, but it think you’re good without where you are going to be living.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 AM

11,057 posts, read 12,406,241 times
Inspection only if you live in Denver. Go to the town marshals office and get a VIN inspection, Jeff will do it there's a small fee for that. Take that and your insurance info and go to the courthouse in Ouray for your tags. Get ready to pay a LOT for them. You will get your CO DL in Montrose.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You will need to get a VIN verification done before you can get your Colorado plates. On the front Range you need an emissions test, but it think you’re good without where you are going to be living.

thank you. What is involved in getting a VIN verification?

I think I'm gonna like getting out of Massachusetts, where this year there is a rust inspection and it supposedly is beamed to the DMV by cameras just in case the inspector isn't too attentive. I got by three years ago with duct tape and primer (for just a little rust!) and the past two years from a friendly inspector. Even though Massachusetts is Disneyland for some things that matter to me, I will happily get away from car inspections that consider some rust to be a safety problem.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Inspection only if you live in Denver. Go to the town marshals office and get a VIN inspection, Jeff will do it there's a small fee for that. Take that and your insurance info and go to the courthouse in Ouray for your tags. Get ready to pay a LOT for them. You will get your CO DL in Montrose.
Thank you so much!

Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,225,726 times
Some areas require emission testing at registration time and then every 2 years. Check with the DMV for the county you will be moving to.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:45 AM

11,057 posts, read 12,406,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

I think I'm gonna like getting out of Massachusetts, where this year there is a rust inspection and it supposedly is beamed to the DMV by cameras just in case the inspector isn't too attentive. I got by three years ago with duct tape and primer (for just a little rust!) and the past two years from a friendly inspector. Even though Massachusetts is Disneyland for some things that matter to me, I will happily get away from car inspections that consider some rust to be a safety problem.
You hand your registration to Jeff and he fills out a form and hands it to you. I don't know how much the fee is because mine was free (heheheh).

Old 10-30-2017, 10:40 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

They verify that the VIN matches on your vehicle and your title. Takes about 1 minute.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:43 PM

5,199 posts, read 8,325,396 times
Emission testing is only done in most of the 9 county area around Denver
Air Care Colorado :: Program Area Maps

There is no safety test anymore. (You can have all the rust you want ;-)

VIN verifications can be done by:
The following provide VIN verifications:

• Centralized Air Care Colorado emissions inspection stations.
  • Independent emissions inspection stations in both the Enhanced and Basic emissions program areas.
  • Licensed diesel emissions inspection stations.
  • Some motor vehicle dealerships.
  • Some County Clerk and Recorder offices.
  • Some law enforcement agencies.

Title & Registration is done by County Clerk of your residence
(Fees are set statewide. Here is a fee estimator/calculator from Boulder County)
https://www.bouldercounty.org/record...istration-fee/
(The Ownership Tax portion is tax deductible if you itemize, and drops some every year)

Driver's License is done at a State office. Nearest may be Montrose, but can use any for D/L.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/locations-0

Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
The Vehicle ID # is usually on the driver side dashboard (and maybe in the engine compartment and/ or on driver's door) so you just give them access so they check it to try to find stolen vehicles and perhaps vehicles with other legal issues.

The fees for a car, iirc, are $75 (or so, based on vehicle weight) plus about 2% of the estimated value. Per year. For verification of that, use a fee calculator like the one mentioned in post before mine.

Some inspectors might check lights and for illegal modifications, but I dunno if that is authorized. My memory is that at least one guy did this to my car.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-30-2017 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or