U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:34 PM

75 posts, read 51,423 times

Advertisements

Forget CO and especially Boulder as they are too expensive and crowded. I left CO one year ago and moved to Northern Idaho, Coeur D Alene, so I would second an earlier comment about WA over CO. Home prices in Spokane are cheap compared to CO and you don't have millions of people around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 06:11 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,093,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN11665 View Post
I have recently had the option of making a move from my hometown of Knoxville, TN. I have lived here my whole life, and wanted to leave since I was 13.
Everybody has their own preferences, but wow, that's a shocking to hear. I recently visited Knoxville and was surprised how much better I liked it over Colorado.

You should also put into words your expectations of Colorado, and how you think your life will be like here. Are you familiar with the culture differences here vs. where you live? This area might seem highly alien to you if all you know is TN.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:40 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,151,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Everybody has their own preferences, but wow, that's a shocking to hear. I recently visited Knoxville and was surprised how much better I liked it over Colorado.

You should also put into words your expectations of Colorado, and how you think your life will be like here. Are you familiar with the culture differences here vs. where you live? This area might seem highly alien to you if all you know is TN.
I am from Colorado and worked in Knoxville for a bit and I could never adjust to the humidity there - made me miserable! Never did quite figure out the culture, either - I don't think I was there long enough for that. Biggest thing I remember about it was feeling claustrophobic because of all the trees - as a Coloradan I am used to being able to easily get the lay of the land visually but that was much harder to do there.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:50 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,093,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I remember ... feeling claustrophobic because of all the trees - as a Coloradan I am used to being able to easily get the lay of the land visually but that was much harder to do there.
That's probably the main reason why I like that part of the country. I prefer dense woods and a lot of trees. CO is way to open and barren to me...

Old 11-04-2017, 05:25 AM

4,760 posts, read 4,875,749 times
Default Trees

I've lived in Colorado Springs for 40 years. During that time, I've recruited and hired quite a few newcomers.

My observation wrt trees: People prefer to replicate their prior visual environment.

If you grew up in a place with dense trees, e.g. Massachusetts or Tennessee you'll probably like to be in the Black Forest, Woodmor or Woodland Park.

If, like me, you grew up in a place like Phoenix, with few trees and wide vistas, you'll likely prefer a house with good views, e.g. the foothills or on a hilltop farther out, e.g. University Heights or parts of Briargate.

When I first moved to Colorado Springs, I bought a 5 acre lot in the Black Forest with the intention of building a new house. However, every time I visited, it just did not feel right. I felt claustrophobia being in the middle of a forest. So I sold that lot a few years later.

Unfortunately for the new owner, it burned during the great Black Forest fire a few years ago.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 AM

78 posts, read 80,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Everybody has their own preferences, but wow, that's a shocking to hear.
Why is that shocking?? As you said, everybody has their own preferences.

Tennessee is a beautiful state, at least the eastern half is. I have lived in both Tennessee and Colorado, and enjoyed my time in both states. I am now approaching retirement and have scoped out several areas. We visited a number of counties in eastern TN, hoping to recapture what we had there before, but the magic just wasn't there anymore. During several recent trips to CO, we have realized that is where the "magic" is for us now; that is where we are headed.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:15 AM

4,797 posts, read 3,183,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
advice: (Having lived 30 yrs in each...WA and CO) Consider WA
No income tax (This (plus working night shift) was a big help in retiring 15 yrs early) Wages are better in WA too! MUCH better!
Much of the 'western' part of WA has DENSE forests (Colorado has at BEST very sparse forests (often BROWN with beetle kill)
VERY ez to garden (year round)
Dog friendly
Varied economy
MANY choices of location (near employment) BTW: there are 20+ hospitals / clinics near Vancouver, WA and Portland OR (within 20 min)

the worst situation... DENVER (IMHO)...
  • mtns are 30 - 40 min away from much of Denver (and a million people are heading there too)
  • Traffic is TERRIBLE
  • Water is in very short supply
  • Cost of living can be QUITE high in the few desirable places (like Boulder)
  • Many people ON TOP of you
  • Increased gun violence (angry males with access to guns, seeking freedom)
  • Political strife (Deemed Battleground state)

Other options (as good or better than CO... MT / OR (No sales tax), or... WY, SD, AK (No income tax)
State income tax or local sales tax only paints a small picture. You need to look at total tax burden for the state. WA tax burden is higher then CO's because for one thing WA has one of the highest taxes on gas in the country. TN is the 3rd lowest tax burden in the county so if OP is making a decision based on how much of their income they'll keep then it doesn't get much better then where they are now

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Of course there are other factors like job market, housing costs, weather, lifestyle etc that go into decisions. Living someplace where you are miserable because it's 5%, 10% or even 25% cheaper doesn't always make sense. Life is very short so why spend it miserable if you don't have to. Of course I've also moved around a lot and I've found at the end of the day that physical location has little to do with overall happiness in life

Old 11-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,340 posts, read 39,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
State income tax or local sales tax only paints a small picture. You need to look at total tax burden for the state. ...I've found at the end of the day that physical location has little to do with overall happiness in life
Of course the OP needs to run the numbers on the entire scenario.
Moving from Low Pay and TAXED COLORADO during my earning yrs had ALL to do with being able to retire 15+ yrs prior to FRA. (Your finances are likely different)

(for me... WY was my preference and had GREAT tax benefits (no income, low property taxes and next door to MT (no Sales tax), but... high transportation expense (even tho I have used FREE fuel since 1976...) and housing equity risk ... kept me home (No longer in CO).

physical location has little to do with overall happiness in life

Quite to the contrary...

I have LOVED / enjoyed / benefited from my uninterrupted vast views in CO, WY, WA, TX, NE (and Asia and Europe)

My home is my retreat, as long as there is nothing interrupting the peace and quiet and view of storms and sunrise and sunset from my recliner or deck or bedroom, I am very HAPPY! (YMMV, but my location has all to do with my enjoyment (happiness) of 'retreat' / rest / quality of life). Today I have watched the wind rustling the colorful leaves, clouds moving in all directions, and snow coming to different elevations + barges plying the river below. I have seen ZERO people / houses / traffic / neighbors / airplanes. Very nice 'retirement' view.

Being "in-the-woods" has never appealed to me, after growing up in CO where I could watch the storms approaching for 2+ hrs. Fire danger is not my idea of 'retreat' / peace and quiet. Or the threat of trees crashing through your roof on windy nights... My friends from CO who emigrated to PNW left me ONE word of warning...

NEVER get a home in the trees... damp, dark, moldy, mossy, dangerous, unhealthy, huge increase in house maint. . I appreciated AND benefited from that advice!

While in CO we had 50+ mile un-interrupted views, same in WA, WY, NE and Switzerland. Happy camper!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:58 PM

659 posts, read 807,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
State income tax or local sales tax only paints a small picture. You need to look at total tax burden for the state. WA tax burden is higher then CO's because for one thing WA has one of the highest taxes on gas in the country. TN is the 3rd lowest tax burden in the county so if OP is making a decision based on how much of their income they'll keep then it doesn't get much better then where they are now

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Of course there are other factors like job market, housing costs, weather, lifestyle etc that go into decisions. Living someplace where you are miserable because it's 5%, 10% or even 25% cheaper doesn't always make sense. Life is very short so why spend it miserable if you don't have to. Of course I've also moved around a lot and I've found at the end of the day that physical location has little to do with overall happiness in life
What about the estate tax in Washington? I realize this may not be an issue for young families and folks earlier in their careers, but I am a retiree, and am considering a move...and the estate tax bugs the hell out of me.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:35 PM

830 posts, read 645,731 times
The state of Washington imposes taxes on any estate valued at just over 2.1 million. Googling will bring up information from the state of Washington's site as to what's included and how to calculate it.

FYI the state of Oregon imposes taxes on Estates in excess of $1,000,000 ... Pretty easy to reach if one has a house and a few assets.

Of course anyone with extra money and descendants / children / friends) can give $14,000 per year per person ($28,000 per year for a couple) ... So, as an example, if a married couple has three children (or nieces / nephews / friends household staff, or anyone else) they can transfer $84,000 per year with no tax consequences, as it does not impact the lifetime limit on tax-free giving. Obviously this is not legal / financial advice, so always consult with your attorney and / or investment professional prior to making financial decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or