U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 919 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am looking for some advice on moving to Colorado.
I am young and I have 4 dogs who will be coming with me. I have recently had the option of making a move from my hometown of Knoxville, TN. I have lived here my whole life, and wanted to leave since I was 13.
Colorado has really stood out to me, as well as Washington State.
I have done some research and have been drawn to Boulder area. I have no plans other than planning the move in late March.
I am looking for somewhere I can buy a house or rent and have plenty of space for my crazy pack of dogs. I know most of Colorado is dog friendly, I am just concerned about prices and finding the right place for me to settle down.
I have been working a year now as a Phlebotomist, so I figure finding a job would not be difficult.
I hate the traffic where I live now and would prefer not to live in a big city.
Ideally, I would love a home surrounded by woods and miles from the closest neighbor. I know we cannot have everything we want, but I really crave somewhere where you're not on top of each other.
I love the mountains and am looking for a place that has clean air, access to fresh food, and places where my dogs can run around and not cause trouble. I am single and do not have any family accompanying me.
Any advice from anyone would be appreciated! There are so many places to consider I just don't know how to narrow it down.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 04:40 PM

5,199 posts, read 8,325,396 times
And you posted this inquiry in the INTERNET forum, as opposed to the COLORADO forum, where hundreds of folks are asking the same questions ?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/

Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
And you posted this inquiry in the INTERNET forum, as opposed to the COLORADO forum, where hundreds of folks are asking the same questions ?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/
Because internet and Colorado have the same number of letters.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN11665 View Post
Hello all,
I am looking for some advice on moving to Colorado.
I am young and I have 4 dogs who will be coming with me. I have recently had the option of making a move from my hometown of Knoxville, TN. I have lived here my whole life, and wanted to leave since I was 13.
Colorado has really stood out to me, as well as Washington State.
I have done some research and have been drawn to Boulder area. I have no plans other than planning the move in late March.
I am looking for somewhere I can buy a house or rent and have plenty of space for my crazy pack of dogs. I know most of Colorado is dog friendly, I am just concerned about prices and finding the right place for me to settle down.
I have been working a year now as a Phlebotomist, so I figure finding a job would not be difficult.
I hate the traffic where I live now and would prefer not to live in a big city.
Ideally, I would love a home surrounded by woods and miles from the closest neighbor. I know we cannot have everything we want, but I really crave somewhere where you're not on top of each other.
I love the mountains and am looking for a place that has clean air, access to fresh food, and places where my dogs can run around and not cause trouble. I am single and do not have any family accompanying me.
Any advice from anyone would be appreciated! There are so many places to consider I just don't know how to narrow it down.
Thanks
advice: (Having lived 30 yrs in each...WA and CO) Consider WA
No income tax (This (plus working night shift) was a big help in retiring 15 yrs early) Wages are better in WA too! MUCH better!
Much of the 'western' part of WA has DENSE forests (Colorado has at BEST very sparse forests (often BROWN with beetle kill)
VERY ez to garden (year round)
Dog friendly
Varied economy
MANY choices of location (near employment) BTW: there are 20+ hospitals / clinics near Vancouver, WA and Portland OR (within 20 min)

the worst situation... DENVER (IMHO)...
  • mtns are 30 - 40 min away from much of Denver (and a million people are heading there too)
  • Traffic is TERRIBLE
  • Water is in very short supply
  • Cost of living can be QUITE high in the few desirable places (like Boulder)
  • Many people ON TOP of you
  • Increased gun violence (angry males with access to guns, seeking freedom)
  • Political strife (Deemed Battleground state)

Other options (as good or better than CO... MT / OR (No sales tax), or... WY, SD, AK (No income tax)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-02-2017 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 10:32 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Relocated to Colorado forum.

Need more details as to budget, etc
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:43 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
I think rentals with dogs could be a real issue. It's one reason, the main reason, I am building a new house for my move to CO, and not renting. I also have four dogs. My new town limits four dogs per household, too.

I think OP might find Boulder very crowded, although the Flatirons are beautiful. Expensive too.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:39 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Consider Boulder creek canyon area, Lyons, Laporte and west / northwest of Golden.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:14 AM

4,798 posts, read 4,901,271 times
It looks like you would make about $32K per year in Colorado:

https://www1.salary.com/CO/Phlebotomist-salary.html

Finding a large wooded lot with a house for that salary is unrealistic unless you bring a huge pile of money along.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
It looks like you would make about $32K per year in Colorado:

https://www1.salary.com/CO/Phlebotomist-salary.html

Finding a large wooded lot with a house for that salary is unrealistic unless you bring a huge pile of money along.
Yeah. Colorado prices are not going align with desires.

How Colorado (Denver Metro) became one of the least affordable places in the U.S.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 11-03-2017 at 07:24 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,103,282 times
nope nope nope sorry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or