U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,557,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Only Denver offers "big city stuff". Fort Collins is just a larger version of Loveland, with additional youthfulness and little more modern vibe. Compared to Denver, these two smaller towns are about the same.
After following Ft Collins and Loveland news, Loveland has considerably less crime than Ft Collins does. If we end up moving to Loveland, one of the main reasons would be the lakes there. We really enjoy both fishing and boating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,306 posts, read 39,574,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
After following Ft Collins and Loveland news, Loveland has considerably less crime than Ft Collins does. If we end up moving to Loveland, one of the main reasons would be the lakes there. We really enjoy both fishing and boating.
Befriend someone at http://www.flynoco.com/ and get an aerial tour, there are a lot of small lakes within 20 miles of Loveland, For OP of this thread... (teenager (2) of unknown interests, and a family who may need more options (Music / activities / Colleges / recreation).. CoS might be best, but... Loveland has a lot to offer (even the teenage boys). I survived 'growing-up' in Loveland / Estes and was very involved with 4-H and hunting (more lake / bird than big game). But we were really car / motorcycle / ranch engaged (era of muscle cars and dirt roads! (and before 'radar' & spike strips were prevalent deterrents))

Not sure what the interests of the OP kids are, but there are a lot of options in either place. Competitive sports and arts in both.

Loveland is a very nice town. CoS a very nice small city.

Loveland is great if you recreate in RMNP and WY (and are a XC skier / snowshoer)
CoS is preferred if you are a "downhill' skier / boarder, or prefer Colorado (and NO NM) recreation to WY.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:27 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,557,481 times
For some, possibly even the OP, Loveland could definitely be too small and a lot less diverse than the Springs and Denver.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
For some, possibly even the OP, Loveland could definitely be too small and a lot less diverse than the Springs and Denver.
Denver.

Fortunately the OP has job offers in 'livable' Destinations! with TRUE diversity (ie. open dialog and universal acceptance)

Denver.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:50 PM

36 posts, read 88,427 times
Well, we are kind of a divided family 😂😂😂

I am pretty liberal. Iím tattooed, Iím pierced. I have facial piercings. But Iím also in my 40s and I like my guns, so thatís weird (NRA can suck it, though). My husband is a lot more conservative than I am, and a lifetime member of the NRA. No, we actually donít fight too much 😂😂😂 He is not tattooed, and not pierced, and would probably never.

Our current situation is a very small, pretty conservative town about 70 miles outside of Chicago. We manage here just fine, but we also donít have megachurches, and my guess is the conservative here outside of Chicago is probably a lot less than what passes for Conservative in Colorado. Also, I kind of always have despised James Dobson (I know heís not affiliated anymore).

The beauty of COS will probably be a huge appeal for me. I donít think Fort Collins is quite as ruggedly beautiful but I donít know for sure until we see both. Another concern for me is jobs for me. I work in the veterinary field and there seems to be more specialties and ERs up in Fort Collins, as well as the vet school. COS is kind of slim pickings, and if itís super conservative, they might not be happy with the tats and piercings and colored hair.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
Well, we are kind of a divided family 😂😂😂

... Another concern for me is jobs for me. I work in the veterinary field and there seems to be more specialties and ERs up in Fort Collins, as well as the vet school. COS is kind of slim pickings, and if itís super conservative, they might not be happy with the tats and piercings and colored hair.
CoS is certainly closer to more natural beauty. I expect you will find more vet jobs in CoS, and your choices of bodily expression is not gonna phase most. If so, you can send them to Portland, OR for a calibration. ($49 flight, $29 on sale dates)

Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 2,084,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
..you can send them to Portland, OR for a calibration. ($49 flight, $29 on sale dates)
How do you get those prices? I've been meaning to ask. I know SW Airlines is routinely several hundred in each direction. With family in that vicinity, I'd be nice to know of a more reasonable option.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:15 PM

18 posts, read 11,493 times
When you come to Colorado Springs, you definitely need to visit the Westside/Old Colorado City, and Manitou Springs as well, that's the liberal "hippy" part of town, ha. It totally has a different vibe than the buttoned up northern side and I have a feeling it might be more to your liking. D20 schools up north are hard to beat, though, particularly for high school (imo) but I have young kids yet, I'm far from an expert on the high school scene. I've had people say D11 high schools (which covers the Westside) are good, too. And I have friends who really like the Manitou Springs school system.

We are military and have been back and forth from COS several times, we love it. I have lived south central which is heavily military, at that time we sent my daughter to school on the westside... But now we live up north to have the D20 schools and to make my husband's commute to Denver easier. It suits us just fine, but we are "churchy", if on the more liberal side

Good luck in your decision!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:14 AM

602 posts, read 728,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post

The beauty of COS will probably be a huge appeal for me. I donít think Fort Collins is quite as ruggedly beautiful but I donít know for sure until we see both. Another concern for me is jobs for me. I work in the veterinary field and there seems to be more specialties and ERs up in Fort Collins, as well as the vet school. COS is kind of slim pickings, and if itís super conservative, they might not be happy with the tats and piercings and colored hair.
Plenty of tattoos, piercings and uniquely colored hair can be seen all over the city. I doubt anyone will care. Some employers/fields may have more strict dress codes but even those seem to be fewer these days. I would be surprised if the veterinary field would be overly concerned. In the veterinary clinic I take my pups two of the vet techs have full sleeves of tattoos. Colorado Springs is really not super conservative. Itís actually very live and let live. There are neighborhoods in town that are traditionally more conservative than others and parts that are completely the opposite.

As far as the veterinary field I donít know how easy it is to get a job, there are certainly a large number of veterinary clinics (we really love our pets in Colorado) and a few specialty clinics. I think there are two animal ERs one with its own amblulance. One of the specialty surgery and orthopedic centers is expanding and building a larger hospital up on North Nevada near the UCCS campus. Of course having the vet school at CSU in Fort Collins is a plus, itís a fantastic school.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:32 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,054,570 times
While Ft Collins does seem to have more vet clinics and a highly rated vet school, keep in mind that they are graduating a few thousand new vets every year , many of whom want to stay in the local market creating a very low wage base.

Central and western Cos tend to be much more liberal leaning than northern Cos. Eastern and southern cos are much more moderate. A visit to the Old Colorado City farmers market any summer would demonstrate plenty of tattoos, piercings, and relationships that would make some north-enders cringe. Keep in mind, the mega churches that moved here, did so for the same reasons individuals want to move here. While somewhat conservative leaning in the past, Cos has not historically been the home grown conservative hold out you would find in Oklahoma, for example.

Manitou School district performs very well, as does Coronado HS in D11. Palmer HS in D11 is an IB program school. D12 on the southwest side is very high performing and far away from the north end evangelicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or