U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 4,212 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Colorado Springs for a year, renting a nice condo on the West side. My lease is up and I'm looking to move within Colorado. What i've found moving here from NJ is how much I really do love being in the mountains. Almost every weekend I am traveling on US 24 to get out hiking or biking. After work I try to head out to the park near me or North Cheyenne Canon for some biking or a run.
What I 'm looking for is someplace closer to bigger mountains (love 13ers and 14ers) and definitely closer to ski areas. I've been up to Breck a few weekends and it's beautiful and almost ideal but it's very expensive as I figure most mountain towns would be. I also really like Buena Vista and the surrounding area but haven't found much as far as rentals.
I haven't gotten as far west as Durango but heard its a place I should look into.
I'd still like to be in a town for food shopping, a few weekends of not being outside, etc.

Open to any suggestions. I have been searching and came across similar threads but its always nice to get feedback based on specific needs. Thank you!

A few details:
Single guy
Currently work from home...need high speed internet
Looking to spend under 1400 rent (if possible) 2 bed with 1 car garage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 06:56 PM

6,902 posts, read 6,492,373 times
Definitely look at Durango.

BV is great. Also worth looking at Salida in that area.

Smaller but worth looking at is Ridgway. Not sure what the internet situation is like.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:23 PM

3,042 posts, read 2,074,722 times
Maybe Montrose. They are the gateway to the Gunnison Canyon, many San Juan ski areas, is nearby to Ouray, and has a fast developing outdoor sports manufacturing industry.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 PM

128 posts, read 163,600 times
Your budget is doable for both Salida and BV - for now. And I definitely recommend both towns. You should be able to find a place between $1100-$1400 / month in either town that has what you're looking for, but you'll have to be patient as the rental market is competitive and small. Check local Facebook pages (Salida Swap being the best one) and the Mountain Mail and Chaffee County Times for listings. That all said, your budget is definitely doable. Again - for now. If current real estate trends in Chaffee County continue expect rent to raise substantially each year.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 PM

13,941 posts, read 20,184,988 times
Georgetown?

Old 11-05-2017, 08:33 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Gunnison might work, it has a college and should have good internet there to support it....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:13 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Your budget is doable for both Salida and BV - for now. And I definitely recommend both towns. You should be able to find a place between $1100-$1400 / month in either town that has what you're looking for, but you'll have to be patient as the rental market is competitive and small. Check local Facebook pages (Salida Swap being the best one) and the Mountain Mail and Chaffee County Times for listings. That all said, your budget is definitely doable. Again - for now. If current real estate trends in Chaffee County continue expect rent to raise substantially each year.
There's also a FB page called BV Bargains. There are very few rentals available in BV. The inventory is too low and lots of people want to live there. You MAY find something in your price range, but you've got to be ready to jump. Don't wait until Spring when all the summer workers start coming back and looking for rentals.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:12 PM

128 posts, read 163,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
There's also a FB page called BV Bargains. There are very few rentals available in BV. The inventory is too low and lots of people want to live there. You MAY find something in your price range, but you've got to be ready to jump. Don't wait until Spring when all the summer workers start coming back and looking for rentals.
Great advice.

Also, I forgot to mention Chaffee County Housing and Chaffee County Rentals are good facebook groups to join, too.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,212 times
Thanks for responses and the suggestions of the Facebook Groups!
I’ll look into the other areas suggested as well like Gunnison, Montrose, Ridgeway and Durango.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:02 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naycha View Post
Thanks for responses and the suggestions of the Facebook Groups!
Iíll look into the other areas suggested as well like Gunnison, Montrose, Ridgeway and Durango.
We have threads on all those towns, just use our search tool to find lots of existing info....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or