U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Evergreen
397 posts, read 589,166 times
Reputation: 469

Advertisements

What do you feel is missing in Evergreen? Did you venture down 73 towards Conifer when you visited? Both Evergreen High School and Conifer High School rank very well. Your budget would be fine in the foothills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,908 posts, read 6,508,205 times
Reputation: 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
What do you feel is missing in Evergreen? Did you venture down 73 towards Conifer when you visited? Both Evergreen High School and Conifer High School rank very well. Your budget would be fine in the foothills.
I was hoping you would chime in. Evergreen seemed like a good fit to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Castle Rock, CO
196 posts, read 135,038 times
Reputation: 398
Are you trying to be right inside of a town? If you're ok with a little drive into town, I don't see why you can't get what you're looking for:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
3,151 posts, read 1,936,580 times
Reputation: 3271
^^^^

That was my initial thought as well, but OP mentioned "walkability" as a desired amenity. I'd personally not put a lot of weight on what a 14-year-old likes, since it's going to change a lot in a short period of time. Now if THEY also like "walkability" that's another matter, but it's not clear to me if that's the case.

Given the stated budget I'd toss out ski towns, especially since they say it isn't important. A lot of mountain towns are what I'd consider "remote", but again it's hard to understand what's in the OP's mind. To me, Steamboat is more remote than Nederland, but to them it's the opposite. And any mountain town that's beautiful and desirable is going to have traffic problems, at least during part of the year. Salida is more affordable, but not really "in the mountains". Maybe Estes Park, although it does have tons of traffic and tourists in the summer and fall. Carbondale, perhaps? Seems like a road trip is in order, haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 06:54 PM
 
200 posts, read 228,595 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Thanks guys.

We are sold on Colorado, though the other places in Oregon and Washington are beautiful. We like to camp and its location lends itself to easy camping to other great places. We also want to be in a "green" friendly place as its my medicine, so Montana won't work for us unfortunately. I'll be looking into the other places mentioned in Colorado.

Lush to me is in the trees not barren and there is grass and flowers, I hope that makes sense. I spent some time at 10,000 feet and it was very rocky and sparse.

Durango was very touristy/college in the sense that I didn't feel like it was a year-round community. Granted, I spent only a week there so I maybe got the wrong vibe?
Where did you spend time at 10,000ft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Ned CO @ 8300'
2,019 posts, read 4,325,560 times
Reputation: 2858
"Nederland - Too small, remote, nothing to do outside of going into Boulder".

I get the too small but "remote" and nothing to do? Malarkey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 08:41 AM
 
355 posts, read 735,637 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
Where did you spend time at 10,000ft?
Central City/Blackhawk area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 08:45 AM
 
355 posts, read 735,637 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
"Nederland - Too small, remote, nothing to do outside of going into Boulder".

I get the too small but "remote" and nothing to do? Malarkey!
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Ned, it's absolutely beautiful and Cross Cut Pizza is still one of my top 10 pizza places. That being said, is there more to the town that we missed? I only recall the area where the pizza place is and where the Carousel of Happiness is located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 08:53 AM
 
355 posts, read 735,637 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
^^^^

That was my initial thought as well, but OP mentioned "walkability" as a desired amenity. I'd personally not put a lot of weight on what a 14-year-old likes, since it's going to change a lot in a short period of time. Now if THEY also like "walkability" that's another matter, but it's not clear to me if that's the case.

Given the stated budget I'd toss out ski towns, especially since they say it isn't important. A lot of mountain towns are what I'd consider "remote", but again it's hard to understand what's in the OP's mind. To me, Steamboat is more remote than Nederland, but to them it's the opposite. And any mountain town that's beautiful and desirable is going to have traffic problems, at least during part of the year. Salida is more affordable, but not really "in the mountains". Maybe Estes Park, although it does have tons of traffic and tourists in the summer and fall. Carbondale, perhaps? Seems like a road trip is in order, haha!
We lived in Portland, OR for awhile. I LOVED being in the center of it all and my son is desiring that as well. He likes to be able to walk, bus or bike to things to do without depending on Mom & Dad to cart him around.

Steamboat is DEFINITELY more remote than Nederland in the sense of big city/shopping nearby, airport, but I think there is more to do IN Steamboat. Does that make sense? I didn't spend much time in Nederland, and I do know it is a shortish drive into Boulder with tons to do. I am wondering if we missed part of Nederland, I remember a very small downtown area with crosscut pizza and the carousel.

Definitely need to do another road trip!! Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 08:55 AM
 
355 posts, read 735,637 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
What do you feel is missing in Evergreen? Did you venture down 73 towards Conifer when you visited? Both Evergreen High School and Conifer High School rank very well. Your budget would be fine in the foothills.
I'll check into this. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top