U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 AM

355 posts, read 735,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
Are you trying to be right inside of a town? If you're ok with a little drive into town, I don't see why you can't get what you're looking for:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true
Yes, we'd like to be inside town preferably. We do like to go out to eat a lot, socialize etc. These are beautiful properties for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 10:41 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,933,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Steamboat is DEFINITELY more remote than Nederland in the sense of big city/shopping nearby, airport, but I think there is more to do IN Steamboat. Does that make sense?
Sure, that's what I'd guessed.

One other thought to give some guidance is to look at towns by population. You can get a list on C-D if you go to the Colorado page. Looking at towns more or less "in the mountains" I see two other towns that are similar in population to Steamboat... Durango, and Glenwood Springs. Estes Park and Carbondale are about half the population, FWIW.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:30 PM

2,019 posts, read 4,324,022 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Ned, it's absolutely beautiful and Cross Cut Pizza is still one of my top 10 pizza places. That being said, is there more to the town that we missed? I only recall the area where the pizza place is and where the Carousel of Happiness is located?
Nederland is a small town and what you saw is it as far as the town goes. I guess I misunderstood the "nothing to do" part. There's incredible hiking right here and close by, as well as skiing, mountain biking, everything you can do to enjoy the great outdoors. That's why most of us live here.
If you meant shopping, dining, etc. then yes, most people will go to Boulder for more options.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:03 PM

200 posts, read 228,471 times
Quote:
We are looking for a permanent move for year-round living.

We have fallen in love with Steamboat Springs, the home prices - not so much. Even in stretching our budget up $700k we can't find a decent place that meets our needs (2+ BR + yard for the dogs, garage) . Inventory is low and prices are outrageous. So my dear Coloradans, help me find something else if it exists!

Transportation:
We have a 14 year old. So schools and "walkability" is important. When we were living in SS, he loved the free shuttle that took him all over town and access to things to do.

Small town:
I hate traffic, big box stores. I love main street parades and just a feeling of community where you are proud to live

Amenities:
Bike trails, a downtown, hiking, moving water, a GREAT library, music and entertainment. Does not have to be a Ski town (I know Steamboat Springs biggest draw LOL)

Employment:
Not super important. We are retired and will take a "odd job" to fill our time when we are not enjoying the outdoors.

Environment:
Green & lush. I love trees, nature and animals

Some other places we checked out but didn't fall in love with:
Boulder- too expensive, we are "under-educated" and felt like it was "too young" for us
Fort Collins- Crowded. That poor town has been completely ripped apart by too fast growth
Evergreen - Beautiful, but missing something.
Idaho Springs- ditto. Does not seem family oriented.
Blackhawk - Too remote
Nederland - Too small, remote, nothing to do outside of going into Boulder
Durango- Too "college town" for us. Missing "community-feel" that I am longing.

Thank you in advance.
What about Leadville?

Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 PM

4,920 posts, read 2,676,192 times
Quote:
We are looking for a permanent move for year-round living.

We have fallen in love with Steamboat Springs, the home prices - not so much. Even in stretching our budget up $700k we can't find a decent place that meets our needs (2+ BR + yard for the dogs, garage) . Inventory is low and prices are outrageous. So my dear Coloradans, help me find something else if it exists!

Transportation:
We have a 14 year old. So schools and "walkability" is important. When we were living in SS, he loved the free shuttle that took him all over town and access to things to do.

Small town:
I hate traffic, big box stores. I love main street parades and just a feeling of community where you are proud to live

Amenities:
Bike trails, a downtown, hiking, moving water, a GREAT library, music and entertainment. Does not have to be a Ski town (I know Steamboat Springs biggest draw LOL)

Employment:
Not super important. We are retired and will take a "odd job" to fill our time when we are not enjoying the outdoors.

Environment:
Green & lush. I love trees, nature and animals

Some other places we checked out but didn't fall in love with:
Boulder- too expensive, we are "under-educated" and felt like it was "too young" for us
Fort Collins- Crowded. That poor town has been completely ripped apart by too fast growth
Evergreen - Beautiful, but missing something.
Idaho Springs- ditto. Does not seem family oriented.
Blackhawk - Too remote
Nederland - Too small, remote, nothing to do outside of going into Boulder
Durango- Too "college town" for us. Missing "community-feel" that I am longing.

Thank you in advance.
Telluride > Steamboat but your budget won’t work for downtown. If you go 2 miles west of downtown you can find a place under $750k. Take a drive there in the spring it’s heaven.

Music - bluegrass festival
Aspens and the most beautiful mountains (San Juans)
Walkable downtown with plenty of biking and hiking opportunities
Def a nice small town feel if you don’t live up in the village.

http://www.mountainroserealty.co/wp-...-at-night1.jpg

/ thread

Last edited by SWFL_Native; 11-10-2017 at 09:58 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 08:56 PM

355 posts, read 735,244 times
I wanted to follow-up in case someone else was thinking of moving to Steamboat Springs...
  • We bought a house Jan 2018 in a GREAT location, under budget. We can walk to everything and have amazing views.
  • I found a great job with amazing benefits. Unemployment is under 3% so its a candidate's market.
  • Summer was ABSOLUTELY glorious!! Two weeks were a bit hot, but still cool at night.
  • Hubby started a business and he is having a ball.
  • So much to do, so much going on, we are having a blast. Made friends quickly!
  • Kid loves the school, he's made friends and loves having the run of town on the free bus

ZERO regrets!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 AM

6,441 posts, read 1,281,222 times
^^ Very happy for you!!! Seems like you did find your dream spot, and hope that your 'love affair' continues!

Thanks for letting us know -- and all the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado