U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 08:51 PM

311 posts, read 143,463 times

Advertisements

In the Denver post article linked in this thread, it states:

"The Western Slopeís increased share will result from the addition of 378,697 people, which translates to a 67.2 percent gain in population." IIRC, that is the forecast for the next thirty years or so (up to 2050).

Anyone in the know care to comment on this estimate? If it comes to past, that makes it sounds like the Western slope will be overrun. I wonder if Grand Junction and Montrose will double in size. Will water resources become even more strained/scarce?

It would also seem that there need to be some attention to the development of infrastructure if the Western slope grows this much. I hope this prediction is hopelessly high, but most demographers are using sophisticated computer models based on past trends. It's not my field of expertise -- hence my questions. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,433,235 times
Colorado is a beautiful state. No wonder people are flocking there. I lived in COS for a year and itís a beautiful city with the mountains so close. I can see it getting much larger. They do need to improve I25.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:12 AM

3,182 posts, read 2,621,551 times
On a metro level, I would say CO Springs area will never be bigger as CO Springs metro area doesn't have the same water capacity that Denver has. Pueblo and CO Springs won't merge, there's Ft. Carson in the way and it's pretty ugly between the two of them.

On a city level, CO Springs doesn't have suburbs for the most part cause it ate them all through annexation, so lame comparison.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:04 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
On a metro level, I would say CO Springs area will never be bigger as CO Springs metro area doesn't have the same water capacity that Denver has. Pueblo and CO Springs won't merge, there's Ft. Carson in the way and it's pretty ugly between the two of them.

On a city level, CO Springs doesn't have suburbs for the most part cause it ate them all through annexation, so lame comparison.
East of the interstate is where the Springs and Pueblo will grow together. Its only a matter of when not if.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:25 AM

56 posts, read 29,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
East of the interstate is where the Springs and Pueblo will grow together. Its only a matter of when not if.
No part of the CS metro is growing to the south. Fountain has been developing its north east side. Since Pueblo isnt growing by any large margins, its not intutive the two will grow together

Old 11-11-2017, 11:55 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoung View Post
No part of the CS metro is growing to the south. Fountain has been developing its north east side. Since Pueblo isnt growing by any large margins, its not intutive the two will grow together
Pueblo Springs development would have done it. Granted its on hold but at some point it will be devloprd as Pueblo is growing north.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:44 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,197,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Very exciting times buy up houses while there still cheap!
An while we're on the subject why The Springs sooooooo much cheaper than Denver?

Old 11-12-2017, 07:59 AM

5,323 posts, read 7,170,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
An while we're on the subject why The Springs sooooooo much cheaper than Denver?
Smaller economy. I don't know exactly how much cheaper it is, though.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 AM

4,325 posts, read 1,788,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Smaller economy. I don't know exactly how much cheaper it is, though.
I'd say its about 120,000 dollars cheaper in the Springs based on average housing prices.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM

811 posts, read 1,224,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Denver has always been and will likely always be more of the "it" city in Colorado vis-ŗ-vis Colorado Springs. Denver is where the majority of transplants (companies, recent college grads, etc.) coming to Colorado tend to land. In recent years Denver seems to have hit a critical mass (the scope of which is beyond my few sentences here to explain) that has driven housing prices rapidly upward. Colorado Springs continues to grow slowly (including housing price growth) but has in no way approached the critical mass of Denver. The two places are different. Like Portland and Eugene are different. Like San Francisco and Sacramento are different. The reasons San Fran and Sacramento have such different housing prices are more obvious than why Denver and COS are on somewhat different growth paths, but the reasons are not entirely dissimilar in my opinion. I lived in Denver from 1996-2000 and the Springs from 2003-present and have some sense of what makes the two cities tick. I like certain things and dislike certain things about both, which would take additional pages to describe. In a nutshell, my spouse and I chose being able to afford a nice house in a highly-desirable neighborhood in the Springs to raise our kids, with short commute times pretty much everywhere, over greater Denver which has 6x the population and all the positives and negatives that go along with that. We reap both positives and negatives from our choice of the Springs, more bang for our housing buck in a better more accessible neighborhood with top performing public schools being the primary driver. Boring reasons but meaningful to us. We used the money saved on not paying Boulder or Denver house prices to fund college savings and buy a second home in Northern New Mexico, where arts/culture is even better than Denver and NO TRAFFIC! The trick with Colorado Springs is to learn the neighborhoods that somewhat fit with one's cultural and social perspectives, otherwise it's a place that has the potential to drive one batty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or