Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Colorado: terrible ice storms, flight cancellations, brutal traffic, road construction, energy costs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM

676 posts, read 2,795,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
lol. I wouldn't live in Orange County, either. If it's the stuck-up-ness of Colorado that you've got a problem with (and, I agree, Colorado IS stuck up and snotty)...then Orange County would be the LAST place you want to move......
Have to agree with that one maybe there are some chill people there but the latter attitude seems overwhelming there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 AM

226 posts, read 1,219,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlucero2002 View Post
So my wife ran into the parents of a long lost friend from high school at the grocery store the other day. They were all very excited to see each other again so they set up a date so they could all get together to catch-up. It turns out that my wife’s friend and family had all moved to Colorado close to Parker, for several years. When my wife mentioned that we were relocating to Colorado sometime between April and May, their faces hit the floor.

The mother of my wife’s friend said, “Now you know I love you like my own daughter but the last thing I think you should do is move to Colorado”. She went on to explain the following:
Weather: How cold it gets there, that your bones ache, your lips turn purple, and that winter is basically from August to late April. There are terrible ice storms and lightning storms. During the holiday season we’d be lucky to be able to fly out of the airport due to bad weather and flight cancelations. And we wouldn’t be able to drive home because all of the roads would be closed.

Traffic: The traffic is brutal and road construction is continuous. It can take as much as 5 hrs to get home from work when it snows (est. 20 miles). If the snow fall is bad enough we’d have to pull over to the side of the road and wait it out. And that is dangerous because the snow can completely cover our cars and we can get stuck or hit by other cars.

Cost of Living: Homes are cheaper but energy costs eliminate any savings. Auto Insurance, Food, and Utilities are much more expensive, yet gas and rent can be a bit cheaper. It’s a little difficult to find a good paying job, especially if you’re from out of state.

People: Locals are nice until they find out that you’re from California

Loneliness: Not having any family over there will make us very lonely. Our friends and family would come to visit maybe once but then they not come back too often after and will decide to use their vacation to go everywhere else but Colorado. Any family members with heart conditions arthritis cannot come to visit due to the altitude. Everyone tells us that we are going to have a hard time without our family nearby, especially when we start to have children. How hard is it to make good friends?

So then she basically wrapped up by saying, “Look, I’m not telling you what to do. Go out there for a year and get it out of your system but, don’t buy anything because in a year you’ll be back”. That scared the $%&! out of my wife and after hearing her story I’m a little concerned. We’ve been studying Colorado and the Front Range for a good 18 months and everything I’ve read on this forum and based on other people I’ve talked to how have lived there every thing looked so positive. And now this???

We don’t know what to do. I guess we are going to come to the Denver Metro Area again next month to make a final decision.

Has anybody else experienced having cold feet? What did you do? Did you stay or did you go? What has your experience been now that you’ve made your decision?
those are exaggerations for the most part. the only good advice they gave was to rent a place first and see how you like living here. you may end up being miserable in colorado or you might think it's great. no way of knowing beforehand.

august is hot, btw.

Quote:
What has your experience been now that you’ve made your decision?
i would like to leave. wife is ambivalent. we would need to find jobs and sell our homes.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
If you folks consider Colorado snooty I have to wonder where you are used to living? I found Colorado quite open and friendly and I'm one of those supposedly unwelcome Texicans.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,043 times
obviously your friend is one who didn't enjoy/like being in Colorado and is making assumptions and just because SHE didn't like it.. it's a BAD place.

What doesn't work for one person may work VERY well for someone else.

I would take what your wife's friend said with a grain of salt.

Quote:
So my wife ran into the parents of a long lost friend from high school at the grocery store the other day. They were all very excited to see each other again so they set up a date so they could all get together to catch-up. It turns out that my wife’s friend and family had all moved to Colorado close to Parker, for several years. When my wife mentioned that we were relocating to Colorado sometime between April and May, their faces hit the floor.

The mother of my wife’s friend said, “Now you know I love you like my own daughter but the last thing I think you should do is move to Colorado”. She went on to explain the following:
Weather: How cold it gets there, that your bones ache, your lips turn purple, and that winter is basically from August to late April. There are terrible ice storms and lightning storms. During the holiday season we’d be lucky to be able to fly out of the airport due to bad weather and flight cancelations. And we wouldn’t be able to drive home because all of the roads would be closed.

Traffic: The traffic is brutal and road construction is continuous. It can take as much as 5 hrs to get home from work when it snows (est. 20 miles). If the snow fall is bad enough we’d have to pull over to the side of the road and wait it out. And that is dangerous because the snow can completely cover our cars and we can get stuck or hit by other cars.

Cost of Living: Homes are cheaper but energy costs eliminate any savings. Auto Insurance, Food, and Utilities are much more expensive, yet gas and rent can be a bit cheaper. It’s a little difficult to find a good paying job, especially if you’re from out of state.

People: Locals are nice until they find out that you’re from California

Loneliness: Not having any family over there will make us very lonely. Our friends and family would come to visit maybe once but then they not come back too often after and will decide to use their vacation to go everywhere else but Colorado. Any family members with heart conditions arthritis cannot come to visit due to the altitude. Everyone tells us that we are going to have a hard time without our family nearby, especially when we start to have children. How hard is it to make good friends?

So then she basically wrapped up by saying, “Look, I’m not telling you what to do. Go out there for a year and get it out of your system but, don’t buy anything because in a year you’ll be back”. That scared the $%&! out of my wife and after hearing her story I’m a little concerned. We’ve been studying Colorado and the Front Range for a good 18 months and everything I’ve read on this forum and based on other people I’ve talked to how have lived there every thing looked so positive. And now this???

We don’t know what to do. I guess we are going to come to the Denver Metro Area again next month to make a final decision.

Has anybody else experienced having cold feet? What did you do? Did you stay or did you go? What has your experience been now that you’ve made your decision?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,643 times
Key word is that you need to "ADAPT" to it!

Colorado is going to have all what you said about the weather. It is true. I'm not sure about the traffic but 20 miles for 5 hrs is kind of silly. I just hope there is a Starbucks around

Colorado does get cold, very cold. I am living in Austin but from Colorado. I hated Austin when I moved here. It took me ruffly 2-3 years to adjust to the climate. Now that I been here 9 yrs I love it but also in the next year or two we're looking to move back to Colorado. It will stink for us because we're having to adapt back to that climate.

I can tell you this much. Last year we took a ski trip to Santa-Fe, NM. You know, I miss the snow, I miss the cold..LA, LA,LA, LA LAAA!! Well after arriving and spending two days making snow angels, seeing yellow snow and all the slush, then the cold. I was ready to be back into the heat. I had ENOUGH!!

We'll I know why my behaviors was like that, I know I would have to make changes. Is Colorado right for you? You have to trade-up, then adjust / adapt to a totally differnt climate and it will not take 6 months, 1 year. I say at least 2 years. You have to battle some of the storms, blizzards and your best tool will be the ice scraper - bet on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado