U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:38 AM

6,516 posts, read 10,169,671 times

Advertisements

Craig. It'll be even cheaper in another decade or so after the power plant is completely shut down and the economy tanks. Unit 1 is slated to be taken offline by 2025, and I imagine the other two won't be far behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 02:43 PM

13,934 posts, read 20,147,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Craig. It'll be even cheaper in another decade or so after the power plant is completely shut down and the economy tanks. Unit 1 is slated to be taken offline by 2025, and I imagine the other two won't be far behind.
How do you buy puts on housing stock?
Craig would be the perfect opportunity.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 AM

16,492 posts, read 20,881,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

If you don't want or need to go to town much, you might also consider Dolores County. Average home price in Dove Creek? $70,000. Lots of trailer homes I guess. Only 10% of properties over $200k.
I go through Dove Creek three times a year as I visit friends in Durango, Farmington, and several towns in New Mexico. If you talk to the people who live there about 200K houses, I don't believe you get a reaction from them. If you talk about condominiums, homeowners association dues, and the like, they'll look at you somewhat sideways!

I have found that most of the properties for sale in Dove Creek are frame homes built in the 1930's and 1940's. And if you check Realtor.com you'll see several listings for homes there in the 60-100K range. Dove Creek is about 40 miles north of Cortez with a population of around 700. There are other small towns south of DC like Lewis, Arriola, Pleasant View, and Cahone that are half that size. The economy there is all about agriculture, they call themselves the "pinto bean capitol of the world." You don't get much for out of staters spending any time there as the nearest tourist spot would be Hovenweep National Monument, which by the way I recommend.

It actually isn't a bad town at all, certainly is isolated for a lot of people. People go to Cortez for shopping, health care, etc. I've met several families who come in to shop at Sam's Club in Grand Junction, pretty friendly people. Their only sizable grocery store there is the Dove Creek Superette.

It's a place that kind of goes back in time and I'll give one example; the local Sinclair gas station is the only station on the western slope I have found that does not have pre-pay for those paying cash. Heh, I remember a comment from a worker at that station when we were talking about the town that said of the town, "yep, it's a hick dump, but it's our dump and I'm just fine with it."

Old 11-14-2017, 01:14 PM

3,701 posts, read 3,960,993 times
Yeah I looked at a real estate site and saw both small old conventional homes and modulars in the well under $100k segment. I know a guy out there. Only stopped there and nearby a few times (including "the Grand Canyon of Colorado"). Probably too out there for me... but it is a pretty good location with the distance to Durango, Telluride and Moab not being that far (100 miles or less). Newspaper has a few articles about fugitives caught for various things in area. Of course every area has fugitives. Egnar growing fast for a tiny spot. Kinda wonder about that.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,099,374 times
Walsenburg... very cheap nobody lives there ...

Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 AM

829 posts, read 519,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
The springs congested? The springs is still a sleepy farm town compared to New York City.
Well, congested for "my taste" I really would like to live out in the middle of nowhere and just enjoy nature. Even though I live in a good area of COS, I think its too fast paced for my taste. I know many others wont agree.

But thanks for all of your input!!! Maybe one day I can put my house to rent, and just try out one of the places!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or