U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 10:28 AM

838 posts, read 523,181 times

Advertisements

Ehh this is more for experimentation and to kill some time at work. I live in Stetson Hill, Colorado springs.

A place that has always interest me has been divide. COS is now becoming to congested for me, so.... I am on a mission to find a cheap town in Colorado near ATV trails! ( just dreaming till retirement)

So far, it seems Taryall, Divide, and Florissant, CO.

I am not going to move there (still need another 20 something years to retire unless real estate brings my house to the millions like San Francisco; which I know wont happen ha ha!) But maybe one day when I retire. As of now, my home is in stetson hills; but this is just more for fun and "future planning"

I do like penrose as well, but feel like it is too far from the other trail systems.

cheap would be like divide

200 - 300k with 2+ acres .. in other words, like stetson hills price range, but with land! ha ha
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:16 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
About 40% of CO's counties have a cheaper average overall cost of living than the national average. If you are willing to live there. Income generation and amenities push most to the more expensive places. The cheap CO counties on average cost of living are only about 15-20% cheaper than the national average (not the more expensive CO places), so you have to decide if that much is worth moving for. A lot of personal cost of living (but not all) comes down to choices independent of location.

If you don't want or need to go to town much, you might also consider Dolores County. Average home price in Dove Creek? $70,000. Lots of trailer homes I guess. Only 10% of properties over $200k.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-12-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 12:38 PM

5,323 posts, read 7,170,865 times
If you want cheaper go to less population areas - think of places like Baca County - a hidden little gem if you ask me.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:45 PM

4,325 posts, read 1,788,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Ehh this is more for experimentation and to kill some time at work. I live in Stetson Hill, Colorado springs.

A place that has always interest me has been divide. COS is now becoming to congested for me, so.... I am on a mission to find a cheap town in Colorado near ATV trails! ( just dreaming till retirement)

So far, it seems Taryall, Divide, and Florissant, CO.

I am not going to move there (still need another 20 something years to retire unless real estate brings my house to the millions like San Francisco; which I know wont happen ha ha!) But maybe one day when I retire. As of now, my home is in stetson hills; but this is just more for fun and "future planning"

I do like penrose as well, but feel like it is too far from the other trail systems.

cheap would be like divide

200 - 300k with 2+ acres .. in other words, like stetson hills price range, but with land! ha ha
The springs congested? The springs is still a sleepy farm town compared to New York City.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
If you enjoy ATV.. and low population - Don't WAIT 25 yrs to enjoy it.

How flexible / adventurous are you?
Do you have a family? (kids in school...)

Plan C... Have 2 properties... (rent at least the CoS (stetson hills?) place out (better return / cash flows than in the boonies...)
1) can you reduce your work week or commute in CoS? (4 day? weekends? nights?)
2) Can you add extra living space to your 'workweek' home?
3) Can you get a 'room' for workweek and commute to paradise when OFF work? (consider elderly people who often have extra space... basement / garage apartment. (~$300 - $500/ month, sometime free in exchange for maint and chores. ) My Uncle in CoS rented BOTH his basement and garage apartment for very cheap. They were nice places to live.

example... ALL my main homes are rented out, and I have a shop / garage / cabin / + RV hookups at each of my homes (all are rural). I stay wherever I happen to be for free. Tenants are covering the costs of the homes. (paying for my investments). I write it into the lease agreements, and I have a seperate driveway / entrance.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 PM

204 posts, read 198,904 times
Land (and especially home) prices in Teller County are increasing fast. In 20 years this place will likely be prohibitively expensive. Kind of how Summit County is today.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:33 PM

826 posts, read 1,605,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you enjoy ATV.. and low population - Don't WAIT 25 yrs to enjoy it.
I am of two minds on these kind of things. True, now is the time to do whatever it is you want to do with your life. You will be 25 years older in 25 years. Teller County will have 25 years of growth. If the last five years are anything to go by, it will be a far different place then.

I am not, however, a proponent of buying land now for some dim and distant day when you will use it. I just purchased a two acre tract that adjoins mine from an octogenarian who bought it many decades ago when he had a dream. That dream cost him 30 plus years of taxes and insurance expense and in the end the dream had died.

This is a very, very common story.

But land in Teller County is still cheap enough that if you can put it to use now you are likely going to regret not purchasing while this is still so. For the cost of a small boat or motorcycle or even a cheap RV, you can buy two, four, maybe even 10 acres. Land prices have gone up some but are held back by the difficulties and expense of building. In many areas land prices have only recently crept back up to where they were thirty years ago. However, as El Passo county continues to explode it seems likely that there will be ever greater pressure on land and house prices.

But it is also true that there is no point in Teller County that cannot be reached from the west side of the Springs in less than 90 minutes. Many will be less than an hour distant. That kind of easy access to mountains, trails, and lakes should not be taken for granted. There is a lot to recommend the practice of living where you work and commuting to where you play.

Note: Taryall is not a town. Good parcels are fairly expensive. Good houses are more expensive. Cheap parcels are cheap for excellent reasons. Properties in that area should be evaluated very carefully.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:50 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Here you go
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Old 11-12-2017, 02:52 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,433,235 times
Cripple Creek is a small town....

Old 11-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
I am of two minds on these kind of things. ...

I am not, however, a proponent of buying land now for some dim and distant day when you will use it.
I just purchased a two acre tract that adjoins mine from an octogenarian who bought it many decades ago when he had a dream. That dream cost him 30 plus years of taxes and insurance expense and in the end the dream had died.

... There is a lot to recommend the practice of living where you work and commuting to where you play.

... Properties in that area should be evaluated very carefully.
Note... my analysis was to NOT have 2 independent equity obligations.
It was to get INCOME (and equity gain) from at least one of the places.

1) prefer to rent out BOTH and have a cabin / studio for yourself when you happen to be there.
2) Rent a CHEAP place where you must work (If you can easily live on your dream (I would still keep it rented to help cash flows)

You are REALLY not a FT tenant of either (Stay within the county rules)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or