U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:47 AM

311 posts, read 144,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Wouldn't that be ironic if Pueblo turns out to be the next "hidden gem" in Colo? Some positives come to mind: sunny climate, half the snow that Denver gets, lots of land to develop, and an ample supply of good quality water (I'm guessing on this but I'm likely correct.)

I don't think it's as scenic as the Denver basin is, but I don't think it's unattractive Am I on to something?

Pueblo area's housing market stays hot | Pueblo Chieftain
Sometimes lesser known, not as (initially) highly-valued locations, become hot spots or "the place to be/live" after other "first order" areas approach "full capacity" and/or experience price acceleration, having priced out many with shallower wallets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
See what I found on #Zillow!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7.../13534215_zpid

Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
btw, RMNP is nice, but very crowded. Most locals visit there rarely, and instead go to one of the National Forests like Indian Peaks, James Peak, etc.
Agreed. There are actually quite a few designated wilderness areas where you can take horseback rides that will present significantly lower to non-existant headcount than what is found in RMNP, which is looking at a signficant fee increase next year, BTW. Colorado Wilderness Area Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
That might work for them if they are okay with modular homes and only 5 acres. I wouldn't want horses on that small of a lot, but others make it work so I'm sure they can too. There actually are quite a few of these available in eastern El Paso County, although the one you found is on the Palmer Ridge so not exactly flat prairie but it will come with pretty variable weather.

If you go further east towards Calhan, there are a few 40 acre parcels with stick houses under $350k, such as 18094 County Rd 94 in Elbert County and 19230 Loop Rd in El Paso County. But this is now pushing out past the 3 hr from RMNP request. But these may be flatter and further from mountains and other hiking ammenities that come with more urban living.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:42 AM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Wouldn't that be ironic if Pueblo turns out to be the next "hidden gem" in Colo? Some positives come to mind: sunny climate, half the snow that Denver gets, lots of land to develop, and an ample supply of good quality water (I'm guessing on this but I'm likely correct.)

I don't think it's as scenic as the Denver basin is, but I don't think it's unattractive Am I on to something?

Pueblo area's housing market stays hot | Pueblo Chieftain
Don't ever make assumptions about water quality and availability, especially in the arid West! Unless you've seen reports from the Colorado Division of Water Resources, guessing about water can be dangerous.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,732,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexieg View Post
We would be looking at $300K and under for a house +/- land.
I agree with the other poster. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but why on earth would the Denver metro area even be on your shortlist if this is what you are looking for? You'd be lucky to find a 30 year old 3br/2ba house on a quarter acre in the Denver suburbs for this price.

If your heart is set on Colorado, I'd recommend looking away from the Front Range corridor. Have you thought about the western slope? The Grand Junction area has a lot of what you are looking for, at a fraction of the price of metro Denver. There, you're within walking distance to hiking trails and outdoor activities, without the hassle of constant traffic and 4 hours from Denver if you need a weekend in the city.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:15 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
Or the Montrose area. Great views (distant) and a much better place for a horse life, unless you want to trailer your horses every time you want to ride.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,995 times
Thank you all so much for your responses and suggestions. We are taking time to research each of them in detail!

As far as affordability is concerned - I am so glad that all of you provided your experiences and insight. This is one of the main reasons I came to this forum. In our area, 300k buys ample land and in a lot of places, a moderate to very nice house. Somehow, I expected the same there (foolishly, I know!).

We are open to the western slope, and have actually started to research areas towards that end rather than the front rage. I have heard more complaints about harsher weather, as well as difficulty traveling through the mountains to Denver for the airport in the winter. We have family on this side of the country, and the thought of not being able to get to the airport relatively quickly is worrisome to us, should there ever be an emergency. Any insight on those concerns?

Thanks again!
Lexie

Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexieg View Post
Thank you all so much for your responses and suggestions. We are taking time to research each of them in detail!

As far as affordability is concerned - I am so glad that all of you provided your experiences and insight. This is one of the main reasons I came to this forum. In our area, 300k buys ample land and in a lot of places, a moderate to very nice house. Somehow, I expected the same there (foolishly, I know!).

We are open to the western slope, and have actually started to research areas towards that end rather than the front rage. I have heard more complaints about harsher weather, as well as difficulty traveling through the mountains to Denver for the airport in the winter. We have family on this side of the country, and the thought of not being able to get to the airport relatively quickly is worrisome to us, should there ever be an emergency. Any insight on those concerns?

Thanks again!
Lexie
IF you require ready access to air travel, you're essentially looking at being close to DIA or ColoSprings airports. Otherwise, your options would be smaller regional airports with connecting flights to either DIA or to SLC from Western Slope locations. The regional connecting flights will add considerable cost to your Colorado - East round trips.

Given your conflicting desire for acreage and a very low price range for your equine pursuits ... something's gotta' give.

You need to seriously reconsider your conflicting priorities and choose what's really the most important to you.

BTW ... you are aware that in Colorado's climate, with only a couple acres of land ... you'll be feeding your horses purchased hay (and grain, if you desire to feed that, too) most of the year?

PS: If travel in inclement weather conditions is a concern for you, then Colorado may not be your "cup 'o tea". FWIW, the snow isn't nearly as much a problem on the roads as the "black ice" formed at the low temps here.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Air fares are just a complicated game. I saw some quotes of GJ to Denver round trip for over $500, then dug harder and found American via a booking site for $230 rt and to Charlotte NC rt at under $400. Rules, convenience may vary and maybe some quote without taxes. But shop around. And you probably could cope with air travel from GJ area. Every area is different. The smaller the population, the more expensive usually... unless they have subsidized essential air service and early in that subsidy cycle.

If you only once or a couple times per year, airport convenience does not seem to me to need to be a top, top criteria but I hear a lot of people make it one for them. All depends on your situation and degree of hassle you are willing to put up with.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-28-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 12:08 AM

204 posts, read 199,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
BTW ... you are aware that in Colorado's climate, with only a couple acres of land ... you'll be feeding your horses purchased hay (and grain, if you desire to feed that, too) most of the year?
Bingo. Be prepared to budget for that.

Depending on how far west on the Western Slope you end up, you are probably much better off either taking a connecting flight out of Grand Junction to DIA or driving to Salt Lake City to catch a flight. There are plenty of times where driving I-70 from the Western Slope to DIA is a straight up parking lot, though if you schedule your travel in the opposite direction of Denver travel, you can avoid a lot of problems. But Vail Pass and the Eisenhower tunnel are often a crapshoot in any given winter.

Last edited by MountainEarth; 11-29-2017 at 12:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or