U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 3,941 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am planning on relocating to Colorado in the next year. I have been looking into canon city or cripple creek but will need to find employment in probably the social service industry and won't mind commuting if need be. I will need to live in an affordable area since I work in social services (not usually great pay). Anyone out there with any opinions that might be helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 11:02 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Hello and welcome to City-Data.

I've moved this to the main COLO forum as both towns are outside of the COLO SPGS area.

Cripple Creek is more isolated, rather small, a one-trick town that is a gambling mecca of sorts. Not much else goes on there and getting anywhere from Cripple Creek is going to be a bit time consuming and somewhat difficult in the snow, of which they get more since they're at a higher elevation than Canon City.

Canon City is lower in elevation and served by a major highway, U.S. 50.

I'm not sure there is much in the way of social services work in either city but Canon City is a good deal larger and more diversified.

IMO both Pueblo and Colorado Springs are affordable on a social services salary level so don't rule them out.

COLO SPGS is the largest of the four towns mentioned so far and should have a decent amount of social services work.

Our typical advice to folks is to find the job first, then a place to live near by.

Tell us more about you; budget for a rental, kids, sports, indoor/outdoor hobbies, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:37 AM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
Why did you decide to look into Cripple Creek and Canon City? Because they are small mountain towns? If so, then you are severely limiting your employment and affordable housing options.

Have you already looked into social services jobs in various places in Colorado? I would think that would be the starting point, as nothing else would matter if the jobs aren't there or if the salaries are too low to support COL.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:49 AM

I was told by a leadville native that the canon city area was affordable and easy driving. I just threw in the cripple creek area because it looked like a cool little mountain town. I know I want to stay around the Colorado Springs area. I like an artsy kind of area (former art teacher) and a good climate. I am from IL so anything better weather wise is great. Someone else told me Pueblo was interesting but the comments on here made it sound a bit rough.....Oh, I am close to 60 without kids. Any other towns out there that I am missing?

Old 12-02-2017, 12:50 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andjakson View Post
I like an artsy kind of area (former art teacher) and a good climate....Any other towns out there that I am missing?
Manitou Springs

Old 12-02-2017, 01:30 PM

826 posts, read 1,605,476 times
Cripple Creek really is a mountain town with 9,500 ft. elevation, active gold mining, and 24/7 gambling. The air is thin, dry, very cold in winter. Canon City is just 5,300 ft. in elevation and located in the Arkansas River valley. Because of the geography it is reputed to have some of the mildest winter weather in Colorado.

One either wants to live in Cripple Creek or needs to live in Cripple Creek. You do not just decide to live in Cripple Creek. Not only is it time consuming to get anywhere from there in the snow, it is time consuming to get anywhere at any time. The area is thinly populated and the town itself is functionally even smaller than it appears with very few services. It is the county seat, however, and it is at least conceivable that a social services job could be located there.

Canon City is home to (I think) 13 prisons plus being its county seat, if that helps any in your job search. It's neighbor, Florence, should not be overlooked if the area interests you.

Taking affordability and proximity to Colorado Springs as a criteria, you should also look at Woodland Park and the surrounding area; "affordability" being a relative term, these days.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:32 PM

129 posts, read 164,223 times
From what I hear from people who've worked there in the past, the prisons around Cañon City are frequently hiring for social workers to help with inmate rehabilitation programs and services. The prisons are by far the dominant industry in that area and, if you're cut out for the work, it can be a good career with real job security. I would imagine that if you've narrowed it down to the surrounding area, Cañon City would easily be the best bet in terms of affordability, amenities, ease of access, and job opportunities.

I also agree with much of the advice given above. I'd hesitate to recommend Cripple Creek or Victor (the nearest town to Cripple Creek) unless you have a great job opportunity there and also find that you love the area.

Find your job before you pick a place to relocate to. Maybe visit first if you can, too.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2017, 06:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the info.....I am now also considering Pueblo. Is this town really rough? Have heard more bad than good about this place. According to research so far it seems to be affordable enough and has some decent job prospects. Any opinions?

Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 AM

5,323 posts, read 7,172,509 times
Pueblo, imho, is not 'really rough'. It is a normal small city with some significant issues here and there but there are plenty of decent areas and plenty of decent people. Canon City is not that far from it and you could also look at Florence. I would have a hard time recommending Cripple Creek to someone who hasn't visited it first - especially in winter it can be kind of a desolate place to live, and you also need to know if you are able to handle living at that altitude - not everyone can, especially at age 60+. Some will certainly love it and I don't mean to discourage you - it has its appeal - but you need to get out and see it.

Canon City's main industry is incarceration. There may be some social service jobs primarily related to that industry - either for its subjects or its employees. Pueblo certainly has a bit wider range of options.

Canon City and Pueblo are probably less expensive to live in than Cripple Creek - there are some expenses to mountain living that people often don't expect before they do it and realize what they're getting into.

I think you should also look at Fountain - relatively affordable housing still and close to lots of amenities and job opportunities.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:07 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Woodland Park is a good possibility with a size that might avoid being too small or too big. Canon City itself is modest sized but if you count all the surrounding area, the population is 50,000ish.

If you have strong preferences on community size (& amenities including health care) the choice narrows.

Search for and read back threads, use google maps / street view to do some quick virtual touring, browse local newspapers, check the job sites. And plan a visit for perhaps 4-7 days if you want to compare cities.

Looking to buy or rent housing? What do you consider "affordable"?

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-04-2017 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or