U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 01:49 AM

5 posts, read 6,250 times

Advertisements

I may be offered a natural resources job in Saguache or La Jara and would move there in the next couple of months.
I am a single male, currently working in AZ (originally from WI, but lived in NV last year and have lived in a few other states), and am fairly active outdoors. I'm also curious if there would be any social events/opportunities available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 08:20 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,813,809 times
You should drive up and visit both towns before taking the job.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:29 AM

9,568 posts, read 5,767,595 times
Both are really small, isolated towns. Saguache has the benefit over Alamosa in my opinion as it is about an hours drive to Salida and Buena Vista, also small towns but with a lot more social events and opportunities. I agree that you may want to visit prior to accepting an offer.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 AM

129 posts, read 164,223 times
Both are very small towns that are largely made up of older, retired folks. Social opportunities would be limited in either place.

Saguache would be preferable in my opinion, as there seems to be a bit of a spark going on there to try and revitalize things a bit. As MissTerri said, its proximity to Salida (and also Gunnison, where there are many young people because of Western State University) make it the more desirable of the two. Outdoor access is also better in Saguache as you're closer to the foothills of the Sawatch range and Cochetopa hills. Great hunting, fishing, and hiking access.

La Jara is a sleepy stop along 285 on the way to New Mexico. I've never spent any time there other than driving through on the way to Taos or Santa Fe, but I can't say it has made much of an impression. I hesitate to say anything bad about it without any real personal experience, but it's also hard to immediately come up with any positives. The best thing I can say about La Jara is that it is closer to Alamosa and Taos. Alamosa has the most amenities of all the towns in the San Luis Valley, and Taos has excellent skiiing, cultural history and events, and restaurants.

Definitely visit both towns if you can before making a decision. If you've never lived in a small, isolated community before you'll be in for a big culture shock!

*Edit*:

Forgot to mention that Alamosa also has a university, Adams State, which also means more young people. So that could be another plus for La Jara.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:51 AM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
OP, consider that the population of Saguache is around 500, and La Jara is around 800. Both really small towns!

You can read up on the demographics of each right here on C-D. Give you some idea of ages, income levels, etc of the people who live there. At least some information for you to consider before you come visit (like everyone else said).

Old 12-05-2017, 04:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 20,909,506 times
Another thing to consider is that the San Luis Valley has a wide temperature spread to it. I've spent the night a few times in Saguache at the Big Valley Motel. Heh, I've read comments on a couple travel sites where people are somewhat critical of the place because of no air conditioning. Well----you don't need it, even in the dog days of late June.

The altitude of both towns are high, about 7700 ft. worth. Though the summers hit 90 degrees, you cool off at night, sometimes the low will come in at 45 degrees.

You have a ways to travel for stores, be it Walmart, Auto Zone, etc. Saguache to Salida is 45 miles, La Jara to Alamosa is 15 miles.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 PM

129 posts, read 164,223 times
Everything DOUBLE H just said about the SLV is spot-on. Those temperature fluctuations can be downright brutal, especially out in the middle of the valley floor as opposed to the towns that are closer to the mountains or foothills. I routinely see temperature fluctuations of 20 degrees throughout the valley just on my way to work in the morning. It can be pretty crazy.

And yep - Saguache does have a small grocery store, but for anything else you're headed to either Salida or Alamosa. It's just part of life out here.

I didn't mention it in my first post, OP, but I live in Saguache County. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about that area in particular.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,103,282 times
the cool thing is the the Great sand Dunes are not too far away

and the Crestone Intergalactic gathering !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btMIT3pthRY

Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,081,073 times
I'm pretty comfortable taking off on my own and being alone for extended periods of time, but even with that, I couldn't imagine living in either of these places in my mid-20s. If you are the sort would do absolutely everything you can to avoid interaction with large numbers of people, then you could be very happy here I suppose. You certainly could develop some pretty deep relationships with those you are around, if you are so inclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or