U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Ha! Nothing like a closed mind, is there?

The problem is, there is NO WAY no know the data you ask for. How do I know that? Because I am part of the unknowable data.

I am in my 5th year in rural Colorado, and yes, one of the top reasons for moving here was because of sane pot laws. Is there anyway that data can be known? No, because no one has asked and I have kept it private. Most people moving here from any of the draconian states are not comfortable discussing their pot usage with anyone, regardless of legality.

So, how many dozens of others that have moved here in the last six years are like me? Or hundreds? Or thousands? Or tens of thousands? Or...

I submit there is no way to know, which is not a good reason to just "Oh, like wow man" stop the discussion about it.

Pretty much this! Add to that the quote from the realtor.com article:

Quote:
Home prices aren't the only thing in Colorado Springs getting higher and higher. The entire state's economy has been getting a buzz since Colorado legalized recreational marijuana in 2012. And the prices show no signs of coming down.
"I’ve met a lot of people who moved here for the marijuana," says local real estate agent Monique Allison-Vollmer of Williams Partners. "That’s put our rental market in demand too.”
To conclude, I'd say the growing legalization of pot in other states is what probably explains at least part of the slowdown in Colorado's explosive growth. Nobody knows by how much but I'd say there's probably SOME effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 PM

3,144 posts, read 877,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleni View Post
To conclude, I'd say the growing legalization of pot in other states is what probably explains at least part of the slowdown in Colorado's explosive growth. Nobody knows by how much but I'd say there's probably SOME effect.
And I'll add that for everyone that a realtor knows about who moved here for pot, there's probably 5 or 6 they don't know about because the client would never admit it.

However, beyond that we are at an impasse. In previous discussions of this subject, it was discovered that, in general, those who are more knowledgeable and experienced with cannabis usage tends to estimate the effects of legalization on real estate and the economy too high, while those with lesser experience estimates it too low. It was also discovered there was no way to breach the impasse. I think davebarnes was just trying to avoid another pointless round of debate on it, especially since the last discussion resulted in a closed thread. Previous posters tried to make their point with statistics, but as I have already pointed out there is no way to know the other side of the equation.

I think a much more fascinating question, in any of the forums covering the states that have legalized, would be to see how many posters would be willing to admit it played a significant role in their decision on where and/or when to move.

So what do you say Colorado posters? How many of you are you willing to admit to it, or know someone who moved here because of it?

Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 5,187 times
Having been a CO resident for ten years I can say that there is incredible natural beauty which is still one of the biggest draws for transplants (IMO), despite the influx of people here for legal pot.

A few observations:

Denver as a major metro is highly overrated. Spent six years in Minneapolis-St.Paul and there is much more natural beauty within their metro area than Denver. Get past the mountain views of Denver and you have a rather featureless Anywhere/Nowhere USA vibe. Pick almost any other city along the Front Range from Fort Collins to Pueblo and I'd say you'd have an area with more beauty, that's more manageable, and/or has more of a "soul" than Denver.

Get past the natural beauty, and Colorado as a state seems determined to forge a path to the bottom among the 50 states in the quality of public services, especially transportation and education. No one has the courage to raise taxes to a level that is sufficient to even maintain the status quo, let alone make necessary improvements. Example: I-25 needs to be expanded to three lanes in each direction from Monument to Castle Rock. But to pay for it, the third lane will be designated as a toll lane. It will help, but not as much as if the third lane was open to all. But realistically, there's no other choice. The money just isn't there. Colorado roads are the Worst in the West. (save for oil-rich counties like Weld, which can afford to build new highways such as their County 49 between I-76 and Greeley to a higher standard than CDOT)

Recreational marijuana was a huge mistake. Medical marijuana might have been a ruse to supply "recreational" users, but it provided enough real benefits to patients to justify its existence. Why do we need to distill pot into such potent and dangerous forms such as wax-and-shatter? And there's the increase in the homeless population after legal pot. No, I did not vote for Amendment 64.

Conclusion: Colorado, once you get past the mountains and the marijuana, might as well be Texas.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:47 PM

400 posts, read 399,636 times
I used to live with my mom and her husband in Colorado Springs. Last February, they decided to sell the house and move to their cabin in Fairplay. I was given a 15 day notice to move out. All the apartments in my price range were taken right away so I moved to Kansas since a friend invited me to stay with her. I lived in cos since 2011 and miss the mountains. But ever since mj was legalized, it started going downhill.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:13 PM

3,144 posts, read 877,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian54 View Post
Recreational marijuana was a huge mistake. Medical marijuana might have been a ruse to supply "recreational" users, but it provided enough real benefits to patients to justify its existence. Why do we need to distill pot into such potent and dangerous forms such as wax-and-shatter? And there's the increase in the homeless population after legal pot. No, I did not vote for Amendment 64.

Conclusion: Colorado, once you get past the mountains and the marijuana, might as well be Texas.
As a fellow Colorado resident, I have to disagree 100%. Fortunately, most of Colorado's population agrees with me.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:51 PM

13,961 posts, read 20,232,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
They think Denver is in the mountains and Boulder and Aspen are suburbs.
Well, when you can take the ski lift out of the parking lot at Mile High Stadium, I would say that perception is accurate.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
As a fellow Colorado resident, I have to disagree 100%. Fortunately, most of Colorado's population agrees with me.
and more on the way!

that will result in more VOTES for similar measures.

Hurray!

Enjoy

(I Trust you are a job creator / economy builder!!! Every place needs great jobs, bring them on and enjoy your workforce and future business and community success )

Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 AM

416 posts, read 258,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian54 View Post
Having been a CO resident for ten years I can say that there is incredible natural beauty which is still one of the biggest draws for transplants (IMO), despite the influx of people here for legal pot.

A few observations:

Denver as a major metro is highly overrated. Spent six years in Minneapolis-St.Paul and there is much more natural beauty within their metro area than Denver. Get past the mountain views of Denver and you have a rather featureless Anywhere/Nowhere USA vibe. Pick almost any other city along the Front Range from Fort Collins to Pueblo and I'd say you'd have an area with more beauty, that's more manageable, and/or has more of a "soul" than Denver.

Get past the natural beauty, and Colorado as a state seems determined to forge a path to the bottom among the 50 states in the quality of public services, especially transportation and education. No one has the courage to raise taxes to a level that is sufficient to even maintain the status quo, let alone make necessary improvements. Example: I-25 needs to be expanded to three lanes in each direction from Monument to Castle Rock. But to pay for it, the third lane will be designated as a toll lane. It will help, but not as much as if the third lane was open to all. But realistically, there's no other choice. The money just isn't there. Colorado roads are the Worst in the West. (save for oil-rich counties like Weld, which can afford to build new highways such as their County 49 between I-76 and Greeley to a higher standard than CDOT)

I agree with the “Anywhere USA” label. The city itself has all the typical amenities of any large city anywhere.

Regarding Coloradans moving out...I moved from Denver 6 months ago and in this short time have met two other couples who also moved to the Twin Cities from Denver just this year.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 AM

864 posts, read 1,310,989 times
I disagree with the "might as well be Texas."

Have you driven on Texas roads?

Most likely not as those roads are beautiful and well taken care of.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM

6,909 posts, read 6,508,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
I disagree with the "might as well be Texas."

Have you driven on Texas roads?

Most likely not as those roads are beautiful and well taken care of.

Easier to have that without daily freeze/thaw cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or