U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 12:46 AM

502 posts, read 184,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Kansas has the same cycles and has better roads as well, and KDOT is underfunded. I wore shorts two days ago and today itís 10 - Feels like 0. Colorado isnít the only state with a wide variety of weather.
Kansas doesn't have gigantic mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 03:33 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,799,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Which actually is illegal. If their primary residence is in Colorado, after establishing residency, they are required to get a Colorado drivers license within 30 days and register their vehicles in state within 90 days of relocating to the state. And if they don't it's a big fine.

Those new residents who don't are straight up stealing from the state & residents of Colorado & I for one have no problem calling them in. Pay up or go home.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/new-colorado-0
Sounds like the same thing that happens in CA and why I didn't own a car very long while living there. I then jumped back into car ownership down here in NM after adding up the numbers and figuring it was now within my chosen budget limit.
With the prospect of having to take a job up there due to hiccups in work down here, it may be time to ditch the four wheels again.
As is said, "You got to pay if you want to play". Well, if I feel like I'm getting played, I'll simply just stay out of the crummy game.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:28 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,103,282 times
Merry Christmas !

Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
It doesn't appear that the population of Colorado is declining: https://www.cpr.org/news/story/color...ing-population

Old 12-24-2017, 08:33 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,103,282 times
yes soon Boise will be unaffordable also ....

Old 12-27-2017, 02:50 PM

17 posts, read 11,986 times
My husband and I have been here for just over 5 years and have been in an apartment the whole time. Back east, we had a 6000 sf, 5bd/4bth, full-brick home with all the upgrades on .5 acre lot we paid $350,000 - in most of CO, that amount will be lucky to get you a 2-bdrm condo... withOUT upgrades. We are still looking for a house but if we're not willing to pay north of $1m we're looking at a mid-size fixer-upper and we're still paying $500k. Plus, we can't get over how unattractive most of the homes are - where are the full brick Georgians, the Colonials? the upgraded kitchens/baths? Seriously... don't people upgrade their homes here?

If we can't find a home we can afford that isn't a fixer-upper we're considering moving to a suburb north of Atlanta where we're finding you can buy a home for 1/3 the cost of one here. It's depressing though. We knew housing would be more but we are in shock as to how much people want for next to nothing.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:42 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,109,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoloradoexodus View Post
My husband and I have been here for just over 5 years and have been in an apartment the whole time. Back east, we had a 6000 sf, 5bd/4bth, full-brick home with all the upgrades on .5 acre lot we paid $350,000 - in most of CO, that amount will be lucky to get you a 2-bdrm condo... withOUT upgrades.... we can't get over how unattractive most of the homes are - where are the full brick Georgians, the Colonials? the upgraded kitchens/baths?
It is interesting how people can be satisfied with so much less here (house-wise). I too notice how unattractive the houses are. I've never seen so much Hardiplank construction, bland shack-like McHouse clones, sparse landscaping, houses close together with tiny yards.... all at high cost.

I almost get the impression that homes are not supposed to be considered very important, or to be very classy or stylish. It's as though the outdoors are to always be the priority, and if you put too much emphasis on the house, you're messed up in the head and have your priorities wrong. Like it's to be avoided as being a superficial, Cali thing. As if you're supposed to be rough and outdoorsy, and the houses should be primitive and plain.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-27-2017 at 04:04 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 08:01 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Well, CO is much younger than points east so that is reflected in the housing styles. Because of the concentration of humanity in city and towns and the resources required to live there, good places tend to have elevated prices. Has seemed that way almost as far back as I've been buying property. No doubt longer as real estate speculation started with the gold rush in 1859 and has never stopped. Additionally, with the recent influx of people, many are after newer, larger houses, smaller lots, lower maintenance, and specific styles of floor plans, which are easily met by cookie cutter layout in stucco walls on postage stamp sized lots. Also, the Nor CO bias of all this in-migration of humanity is also a HUGE factor in prices, styles, and availability.

If you want variety of styles and land sizes with reasonable prices, then you are both in the wrong part of the state;
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ex=CO610312068
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M20490-98988
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M27253-76945
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M18129-27560
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M18241-97099
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ex=CO609965624
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M20042-45315

Last edited by TCHP; 12-28-2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 08:28 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
My husband and I have been here for just over 5 years and have been in an apartment the whole time. Back east, we had a 6000 sf, 5bd/4bth, full-brick home with all the upgrades on .5 acre lot we paid $350,000 - in most of CO, that amount will be lucky to get you a 2-bdrm condo... withOUT upgrades. We are still looking for a house but if we're not willing to pay north of $1m we're looking at a mid-size fixer-upper and we're still paying $500k. Plus, we can't get over how unattractive most of the homes are - where are the full brick Georgians, the Colonials? the upgraded kitchens/baths? Seriously... don't people upgrade their homes here?

If we can't find a home we can afford that isn't a fixer-upper we're considering moving to a suburb north of Atlanta where we're finding you can buy a home for 1/3 the cost of one here. It's depressing though. We knew housing would be more but we are in shock as to how much people want for next to nothing.
Sounds like lack of planning/market understanding.

There are plenty of updated full brick Craftsmans, Tudors, and Denver Squares. We don’t have Georgian or Colonial architecture. Wrong part of the country.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 12-28-2017 at 08:36 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 09:20 AM

5,321 posts, read 2,759,690 times
Quote:

Your backeast bargain must NOT have been in the Boston area or purchased in recent decades.

Georgians and Colonials just are not common western looks. Itís like asking why southwestern adobe or stucco homes arenít common in the eastern US.

If you love eastern aesthetics, youíre barking up the wrong tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or