U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:00 AM

17 posts, read 12,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacles View Post
I'm curious where you lived "back east" that allowed such a palatial home at $350k. In Dallas where the housing market is much softer and large homes with some space are considered the dream, you'd be lucky to get in a 6000sf home for twice your "back east" price. And even then you're probably commuting close to an hour each way to work.
We lived in Northern Kentucky, a suburb just south of Cincinnati, and actually the house sold for around $338k (I rounded up). But we did pay $6k before move-in to have a post/slat horsefarm style fence put around the whole back of the property for the dogs as well as professional paint to about half of the home so I added those in.

The house was a full-brick Georgian with crown moulding, side-entry 3-car garage, double wide driveway and the neighborhood was surrounded by horse farms so lots of beautiful greenspace everywhere. I miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM

17 posts, read 12,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
But are the all-important granite counters and wood floors included?
I guarantee you, they are not included

The interior of my family's home is important; it's where we spend the majority of our lives. So, yeah, I want granite (everywhere), hardwood floors, REAL fireplaces (not this cut-a-square-hole-in-the-wall-and-stick-a-cheap-gas-insert type fireplace), 48" cherry cabinetry, 2-tier deck the length of the house, full finished basement with pub/media room.

I don't think some people who have never lived outside CO realize how beautiful home interiors can add to your enjoyment of your home -- not from the homes I'm seeing right now, even in $700k range.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,152,851 times
I was looking into moving to Colorado. It is getting expensive but you can easily do it on a salary of 100k a year.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:25 PM

20,858 posts, read 39,100,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoloradoexodus View Post

The interior of my family's home is important; it's where we spend the majority of our lives. So, yeah, I want granite (everywhere), hardwood floors, REAL fireplaces (not this cut-a-square-hole-in-the-wall-and-stick-a-cheap-gas-insert type fireplace), 48" cherry cabinetry, 2-tier deck the length of the house, full finished basement with pub/media room.

I don't think some people who have never lived outside CO realize how beautiful home interiors can add to your enjoyment of your home -- not from the homes I'm seeing right now, even in $700k range.
About 13 years ago when we considered moving west (we did, to COLO, 2005-16), looked around Albuquerque and visited a pal there. His advice was that most locals didn't care that much to have a lovely external appearance of their home, as they spent their time and money on the INSIDE of the property. That being said, we would endorse your thoughts about having a great interior, i.e., the place where you spend most of your time, especially if retired (like us).

Only thing I'd do differently is to not have a deck at all. I'd prefer a flat concrete patio on the back of the house. Wood decks need maintenance, cleaning, staining, painting, termite control and burn in fires as seen every year in wildfire season across the west. I'd prefer such a flat patio be just one step down when leaving the kitchen area of the house, i.e., no stairs to build, buy, care for, navigate with full hands, or risk tripping upon. A nice touch is a large pass-through window from the kitchen to the deck area.

We lived over 30 years in Northern Virginia, a well to do area, seems that every house had a deck, some had very intricate decks, but we hardly ever saw anyone out using the darned things. Here in AZ we have a single level home and 3 sliding doorways to paved areas just one step down. Just sweep it up or use a leaf blower, no termite issues, no fire issues, no maintenance to speak of, and fully useable for outdoor living.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:55 PM

5,354 posts, read 2,780,052 times
Quote:

I have lived about half my life outside of CO and love how many people here spend a lot of time doing outdoors activities. Not spending the majority of their waking hours inside a building, no matter how nice it is. Besides, a nice interior does not have to mean expensive or trendy or anything but what fulfills the residents’ needs and wants.

A lot of people don’t care about fancy things. Obviously, you do. There is no need to put an entire state’s population down because they don’t conform to your concept of “nice.” You can build or modify to your taste...or go elsewhere to find more offerings in line with it.

This feels like the thread where someone complained about the casual dress code common in the west.

Right now in the Denver area, house prices are high due to demand. That $700k house that you expect expensive finishes in might not be a $700k house in a normal year. I’ve seen this kind of thing in other cities. Most people have heard of similar prices asked and paid for in high-demand areas, for what would be an average house or even a tiny fixerupper in another area or in another decade.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,626,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I was looking into moving to Colorado. It is getting expensive but you can easily do it on a salary of 100k a year.
The median household income in the Denver metro area is less than $72,000 though, so it is not like a ton of people are making a $100,000 a year.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 2,119,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
It is getting expensive but you can easily do it on a salary of 100k a year.
Not so sure about that. Easier said than done. Maybe you are not including all cost factors for comparison, between where you are now and here. You can't assume all non-housing costs will be similar (utility bills, homeowners association dues, state income tax, vehicle registration, grocery costs, and dozens of others that may really add up).

Old 01-17-2018, 04:06 AM

204 posts, read 199,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Only thing I'd do differently is to not have a deck at all. I'd prefer a flat concrete patio on the back of the house. Wood decks need maintenance, cleaning, staining, painting, termite control and burn in fires as seen every year in wildfire season across the west. I'd prefer such a flat patio be just one step down when leaving the kitchen area of the house, i.e., no stairs to build, buy, care for, navigate with full hands, or risk tripping upon. A nice touch is a large pass-through window from the kitchen to the deck area.
Build a composite deck. Much longer lasting, fire resistant and maintenance free (even less than concrete, which in our climate requires occasional water sealing.)

Old 01-17-2018, 04:15 AM

204 posts, read 199,610 times
Quote:
Seriously... don't people upgrade their homes here?
Not really. Certainly not as much as you may be used to in other parts of the country. Much of the West's housing stock is quite young, and frankly a lot of it is really not built to stand the long test of time anyway. Or at least that's how a lot of it is treated.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 PM

13,297 posts, read 25,491,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Build a composite deck. Much longer lasting, fire resistant and maintenance free (even less than concrete, which in our climate requires occasional water sealing.)
I have used composite material here in the East and want it for my deck and boardwalk entry path in my retirement house at 7,000 feet in Colorado. My designer says he just knows that "it's plastic under my feet" but I am all for "unnatural" materials if they recycle stuff that doesn't biodegrade, require less or no maintenance, and all the other advantages of composites.

I am told that the first composites used at high sunny altitudes melted in the sun. Presumably that has been addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or