Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,352,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
One thing buried down deep in the article is that the population is still growing. The rate at which it grew is less than it was last year—not the same as population decrease.

I, too, noticed that the quoted people were mostly renters. So of course if someone moved to Denver a few years ago and was barely making ends meet, and then the rent rises a large amount, they leave. Isn’t that one of the much-touted advantages of owning a home instead? (Not that there aren’t disadvantages also.)

But the glaring omission in that article is, what percentage of those queried are leaving the Front Range specifically? What applies to the urban corridor doesn’t necessarily apply elsewhere in the state. Yet the headline says “Colorado.”

With regard to mortgage vs. a lease, depending on where you are and what kind of loan, your mortgage can increase. Also with appreciating home values vs. apartment values you are solely bearing the burden on higher property taxes whereas for an apartment it is shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,645 times
I wonder how much of the slower growth (if true) was due to the legalization of pot in California in November of last year. I would imagine at least some of Colorado's population growth was due to legalizing it a few years ago. Growth might be slowing as other states start to legalize weed.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Oh, like wow, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleni View Post
I wonder how much of the slower growth (if true) was due to the legalization of pot in California.
Just
Stop

Post when you have data.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
With regard to mortgage vs. a lease, depending on where you are and what kind of loan, your mortgage can increase. Also with appreciating home values vs. apartment values you are solely bearing the burden on higher property taxes whereas for an apartment it is shared.
Yes, but at the end of the mortgage, you OWN the house.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 AM

235 posts, read 355,169 times
Good. Colorado is a terrible place to live. Besides the horrific crowds, great expense and terrible traffic, it's 20 below 11 months of the year, the bears feast on old ladies and slow moving children, and the mosquitoes drink blood by the gallon. Awful awful. Tell everybody you know.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:37 AM

850 posts, read 795,944 times
So tell me where else is there to live? most metro cities are expensive or getting expensive. Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Seattle all have traffic issues and high cost of rents.

Are people moving to south Dakota?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
people who grew up where? In Denver My town Mancos ? I do not understand your comment on people who grew up here or where for that matter.I have been to every corner of CO including Denver where My Daughter lives and Enjoy it all.
I also grew up here as did 4 generations before me. I also have been all over the state. That being said I meet plenty of natives who rarely venture out of the cities on the Front Range. Most transplants I meet have moved here to enjoy the mountains and do a better job getting to them than many Front Range natives.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:52 AM

834 posts, read 743,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
So tell me where else is there to live? most metro cities are expensive or getting expensive. Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Seattle all have traffic issues and high cost of rents.

Someone was recently telling me that Des Moines was a desirable and hip city with lots of attractions...

Old 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM

371 posts, read 360,880 times
For those who didn't read the whole article, here's the nut of it: Last year, by Census estimates, Colorado's domestic in-migration was the lowest this decade, and out-migration was highest. The net in-migration was positive, but lower than before. That's enough data to mark a trend, I'd suppose.

The rest of the article consisted of edited transcriptions of Facebook posts the paper solicited on the topic. I hope that isn't the future of print journalism, but there it is...

I certainly think about leaving the state, daily. This combination of altitude, dryness and smog is not what my body needs as I reach 65. And I do sense the"coarseness of daily life" that was mentioned here. The amount of aggressive driving I see, in particular, is a change from the norm I've seen in 40 years here. But is that the case everywhere? From my reading, I suspect so.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:26 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post

Boise, Spokane, Omaha, Des Moines, Detroit, Nashville, and others, are all on the up and up from what I've been hearing/reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado