U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:07 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,169,198 times

Advertisements

More Coloradans moving out as population growth brings traffic headaches, higher home prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 01:35 PM

4,789 posts, read 4,896,352 times
This pretty much sums it up

the average apartment rent since mid-2009 is up 63.6 percent, according to rent figures from the Apartment Association of Metro Denver.

The average hourly wage, by contrast, rose from $25.07 to $28.94, an increase of only 15.4 percent, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Meanwhile, Coloradoís population grew by 11 percent from 2009 to 2016 to 5.55 million residents.

People are squeezed!

Old 12-03-2017, 01:45 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,957,421 times
Maybe Pueblo’s moderate population growth is not bad after all?

Old 12-03-2017, 01:53 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Not sure I'd draw broad sweeping conclusions from the article. The Denver Post spoke to a number of people but only a relative handful of the thousands who left. A strong economy is moving job seekers around probably as much as cost of living issues. Traffic is bad just about everywhere as the nation grows but infrastructure doesn't. Retiring baby boomers who own property in COLO are cashing out and heading to lower cost areas, as are retirees from California and other high cost areas.

Still, all this is interesting stuff to kick around.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:57 PM

91 posts, read 109,586 times
I thought the article was interesting this morning. It didn’t seem that they interviewed anyone that was a home owner. I did see people cite that they couldn’t afford that and while I understand rents are rising, the low unemployment and beautiful natural environment still make it an attractive place to relocate...sorry but the family that happily moved back to OK are welcome to it!! ���� I have lived many places and don’t feel our traffic is worse. I love it here

Old 12-03-2017, 02:17 PM

825 posts, read 1,604,632 times
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

Yogi Berra

Old 12-03-2017, 02:18 PM

5,309 posts, read 2,754,696 times
One thing buried down deep in the article is that the population is still growing. The rate at which it grew is less than it was last year—not the same as population decrease.

I, too, noticed that the quoted people were mostly renters. So of course if someone moved to Denver a few years ago and was barely making ends meet, and then the rent rises a large amount, they leave. Isn’t that one of the much-touted advantages of owning a home instead? (Not that there aren’t disadvantages also.)

But the glaring omission in that article is, what percentage of those queried are leaving the Front Range specifically? What applies to the urban corridor doesn’t necessarily apply elsewhere in the state. Yet the headline says “Colorado.”

Old 12-03-2017, 05:25 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,444,775 times
Cause the rest of the country thinks Denver and the front range are Colorado.They don't have a clue what a large and beautiful state we have.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Cause the rest of the country thinks Denver and the front range are Colorado.They don't have a clue what a large and beautiful state we have.

Most people i know who have relocated here do a good job getting out in the state. Itís why they relocated here. More often than not it is people who grew up here who do a bad job visiting the rest of the state in my experience.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,444,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Most people i know who have relocated here do a good job getting out in the state. Itís why they relocated here. More often than not it is people who grew up here who do a bad job visiting the rest of the state in my experience.
people who grew up where? In Denver My town Mancos ? I do not understand your comment on people who grew up here or where for that matter.I have been to every corner of CO including Denver where My Daughter lives and Enjoy it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or