U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:45 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,933,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
My question is how high is very high?
As someone else mentioned already, Colorado has its own health exchange website.

I recently checked for myself and my wife if we lived in Montrose County. Premiums would be around $40K per year for the two of us. Bronze or Silver, didn't seem to make a lot of difference. This is a ballpark number from my memory, assuming no credits.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-05-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 04:54 PM

242 posts, read 286,085 times
Townshend.....the mountain towns have some of the highest rates in the country for insurance.

Age makes a difference. You didn't reveal yours to figure into the comparison...but my wife and I...both 59...are looking at $2093 per month for both of us for an Anthem Bronze/5000. This is up from $1550 per month last year (and it was a PPO) and $1250 per month the year before that. It's our largest monthly expense. But I digress...

As far as the OP....building a new home has many challenges here. Water is the first. If you go this route, make sure the land you are interested in has the right to a well. Also realize that such a well will likely be for "indoor use only"....no outside watering/garden/livestock/etc. This is just one thing you'll see here that is far different from Wisconsin.

Existing homes have all of this worked out and services in place. (If you pay enough,) You may even find a parcel that has outside watering rights via the well or a ditch right. The older the home the more likely this could be a possibility... but such well rights are not commonplace on parcels under 35 acres in most instances/areas.

If you are planning to build..it might be wise to start looking now for land...as prices...if things continue the way they are... are only going up. As they say here...."they aren't making anymore of it". Colorado SEEMS like a big state until you realize how much Federal and State land there is. Such things drive prices up on what land is available. (much like "water' does)

good luck

Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
If you like snow / skiing / Mtns, have already lived in NM, and you need to do elder care in Farmington ... Why not Northern NM? (or AZ)

If you are early retired and no Healthcare provided... I think NM (HC and housing rates) will treat you MUCH better than CO. Colorado comes at a very high cost.

As a previous CO resident and pre-age 50 retiree w/o HC.... USA is not a viable retirement option. When your Eldercare is finished... consider Spain, Italy, southern France (for Mtns / skiing / and retiree Healthcare)

If stuck on creating a new abode and life in the mtns... 1) buy existing derelict property with a legally permitted but totally trashed view rural home.

Bulldoze the home (AFTER you get your replacement permits)
comes with:
  1. Water
  2. Septic
  3. Power
  4. Road
  5. Fences
  6. Landscape
  7. TREES!
  8. Outbuildings (Maybe you can live in one while building your dream house)

this will save you $100k and a yr. and a LOT of permitting hassles
BTDT many times

Old 12-06-2017, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,591 times
Thanks, all, for the replies. Health insurance hopefully will not be an issue, my husband will be retiring from a union that provides retiree benefits (as of now, but that could certainly change), and I will be working full-time for my current employer who also provides insurance. Appreciate the alternate suggestions, as well. Growing up in Farmington I always wanted to live in CO (who wouldn't), and love visiting Durango, but wouldn't want to live there. Will look into some of the other areas suggested.

Water rights do concern me, and I've learned a lot just reading in these forums. After living over 20 years in Wisconsin, don't think I could live without a little lawn and garden. We spend time and money here moving water off our property with sump pumps, drain tile, etc. Have a brother in Manitou Springs, visited him last summer and during a rain storm asked why he didn't have rain barrels on his downspouts, was shocked when told he couldn't.

We have contemplated retiring outside of the US, once we no longer have living parents, but that's a discussion for another day.

Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:00 AM

11,057 posts, read 12,406,241 times
Look into Montrose County, there are areas with a great view of the San Juans and with acreage. If you can afford it, Ouray County is just beautiful. Look at Craigslist listings, visit. It IS expensive here. And folks there is no E in Ridgway.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannpence View Post
Water rights do concern me, and I've learned a lot just reading in these forums. After living over 20 years in Wisconsin, don't think I could live without a little lawn and garden. We spend time and money here moving water off our property with sump pumps, drain tile, etc. Have a brother in Manitou Springs, visited him last summer and during a rain storm asked why he didn't have rain barrels on his downspouts, was shocked when told he couldn't.

You can find property with ditch water in the Montrose area. It may be overkill for what you need, but it would open the possibility to have a pasture and some animals, for example.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM

311 posts, read 144,424 times
Townshend here -- thanks for all the information on ACA healthcare. I checked the CO healthcare exchange site, and was "greeted" by a figure approximately 2.5X what I pay in TX (650 vs. 1550).

But this will be a temporary problem for me, since I can start Medicare 7/1/2018. And I can delay (up to 90 days) declaring CO residency, so while on "extended vacation," I will maintain my TX ACA plan. That leave only one month uncovered -- either pay the piper 1650, go without (ACA penalty only kicks in after three months), and/or purchase less expensive "catastrophic plan" (outside the ACA healthcare exchange) for that one month. I will probably look into the last option.

Or couldn't I just leave CO for a week during that month -- vacation in northern NM -- continue TX plan, declare CO residency 7/1 and start Medicare?

Re healthcare, yeah, it doesn't pay to be older (except post 65). Even if you don't smoke, don't drink, don't use street drugs, no obesity, no high cholesterol, no hypertension, no chronic diseases, exercise every week, etc. Nonetheless, an actuary table predicts I am a going to drop dead almost any day now and cost the health insurance company big $$.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
But this will be a temporary problem for me, since I can start Medicare 7/1/2018. And I can delay (up to 90 days) declaring CO residency, so while on "extended vacation," I will maintain my TX ACA plan. That leave only one month uncovered -- either pay the piper 1650, go without (ACA penalty only kicks in after three months), and/or purchase less expensive "catastrophic plan" (outside the ACA healthcare exchange) for that one month. I will probably look into the last option.

Or couldn't I just leave CO for a week during that month -- vacation in northern NM -- continue TX plan, declare CO residency 7/1 and start Medicare?

Is there some reason you need to relocate before you turn 65? Seems like quite a headache all for just a few months.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:18 PM

311 posts, read 144,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Is there some reason you need to relocate before you turn 65? Seems like quite a headache all for just a few months.
Good point. The answer is yes, there is a reason.

I have to be out of my house by Feb. 1.

I have arranged a place to stay for one month, and can continue to work for that month. But by March 1, I am cut loose, so to speak from place to stay and job. (My boss is already doing me a favor, but providing me a place to stay and an extra month of work. Asking for more would be inappropriate.)

So that is how I end up with a window from March through June, before Medicare kicks in on July 1st. It's really not too bad . . . all things considered.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:08 PM

^^^ Got it.

Wow, what a headache to set up something for just a month. I guess I'd either risk it for a month, or figure out a way to legally extend the TX residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or