U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,586 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate from Wisconsin, potentially to Colorado, in three to five years. Wants and needs:

Husband will be retired but will need something part-time to keep him from going stir crazy. He is a roofer so would take something in construction, or perhaps retail in a hardware store. I am younger than he is, currently work remote three days a week and will be able to continue with my current employer working remote full-time, so reliable, high speed internet is a must.

We are both relatively young, he's 56 and I'm 44, healthy, so not too worried about healthcare, but would like to have a decent local hospital.

Children are grown so not concerned with schools, etc.

We don't go out much, so night life, dining, etc. are not important. Love to cook so a well stocked grocery store is a must.

Close to good fishing, hunting, camping, and downhill skiing. Mountain views.

Would like to be within a 6 hour drive of my father, who is in Farmington, NM.

Currently considering Montrose. Drove through the area last year, and while I fell in love with Ridgway, real estate is out of our price range (want to buy or build, something around 1,500 sq ft, or perhaps a manufactured home), and would prefer to have a couple of acres, without HOA covenants. Thoughts on other areas we should consider, inside and outside of CO? We are looking for this to be our retirement home. And while I don't mind snow (have lived in WI for 20+ years, but originally from NM), I'm not crazy about driving in it, hence my looking at the western slope instead of front range. Tired of the frigid WI winters, hot and humid summers, and the exceptionally high property taxes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 03:34 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,076,221 times
Montrose and Ridgeway are good choices.

Front range options would be Colorado City, Rye, Westcliffe/Silvercliffe, Walsenburg area off Highway 160, Trinidad.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
Durango, Mancos or Cortez. (all close to Farmington). Durango has the best shops, but it can be expensive for some.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:43 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,929,830 times
Sounds like Montrose could work.

How are you going to get your health insurance? One thing to consider is that premiums through the heath exchange are very high in that area.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:37 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Real estate is probably more reasonably priced within 5-10 miles of Montrose than Ridgway. That area makes sense based on what you said generally.

If you liked Ridgway but not the prices, you might look at Dolores. Rifle is another possibility that hadn't been mentioned, though it is probably getting more pricey. Trinidad might be worth a look. Craig is perhaps a bit beyond your preferred distance from Farmington NM but is comparatively is probably the 2nd most affordable area yet mentioned (to Trinidad).

On grocery stores, it depends if you mean stocked with basics or stocked with fancy or rare stuff. Most towns of 1-2,000 will have a grocery with the basics. If you want fresh fish, organic produce, foreign ingredients, high end health foods, etc. probably need to be near a much bigger city or a resort area.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-04-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
You might want to look up threads by brightdoglover, she is just about done building a house in Ridgeway and moving in the spring. Here posts address many of factors in the area.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,128 times
Pagosa Springs, Co is beautiful and not far from Farmington , right now you might find a house for 350 K but in 5 years ? .... bring lots of money

Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 AM

307 posts, read 141,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Sounds like Montrose could work.

How are you going to get your health insurance? One thing to consider is that premiums through the heath exchange are very high in that area.
My question is how high is very high?

I ask b/c I am contemplating a move to that area. Already (in TX) I am paying 550.00 per month for an ACA bronze plan. This is the least expensive plan, a HMO. After going to the doctor, I always get an EOLB. You read that right -- it is an "explanation of (lack of) benefits." But no worries, after I exceed 6,800.00 annually in medical expense, then my plan will kick in.

And I just got a letter, stating that the same bronze ACA plan will cost 650.00 a month in 2018. It looks like for 2-3 months in 2018, I will be on that TX ACA plan, move to Colorado (western slope), and then have three months before I start Medicare. I am seriously considering getting a non-ACA catastrophic plan to cover me for that period, and not worry that it doesn't satisfy requirements for avoiding the non-coveratge penalty. Penalties for not having an "approved" healthcare plan don't kick in until after three uncovered months.

I think the plans are expensive in TX b/c TX is a republican state that refused to set up any exchanges. So there is little choice. Did something like that happen in CO as well, driving up healthcare rates?

I tried to log on to ACA and check CO rates, but the software won't let me see CO rates (since I live in TX). Thanks. I don't mean to hijack OP thread.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 AM

128 posts, read 163,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post

I tried to log on to ACA and check CO rates, but the software won't let me see CO rates (since I live in TX). Thanks. I don't mean to hijack OP thread.
Colorado has its own exchange. You can check the rates here, just pretend you're living in the county that you want to look at. You can view rates without creating an account or verifying your identity.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 AM

13,293 posts, read 25,459,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
You might want to look up threads by brightdoglover, she is just about done building a house in Ridgeway and moving in the spring. Here posts address many of factors in the area.
If I were OP, I'd certainly consider around Montrose. A good local hospital, good markets, big box stores (job for hubby), a co-working space with great connectivity. I am content with my future life some 24 miles from Montrose, but then I am not looking for a couple of acres. It's to be found around Montrose.

I don't know about the health care exchange because I will be getting onto Medicare the month I move. And of course, those things seem in eternal flux. Best wishes to OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or