Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:24 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,250,739 times

Advertisements

We raised our kids in Centennial and now have no reason to stay there being retired and within a year or so, having them moved out - done with school. I like to sail and am thinking about moving to somewhere near Lake Grandby / Shadow mountain / Grand Lake.

We would mostly be there for 6 months during the warmer part of the year but spending some time up there during the winter would be fun but that might only be two weeks out of the five winter months.

Looks like real estate is a little more expensive than Denver. We have spent a lot of time at Elevenmile res and would stay in that area but a change will be nice. The remoteness and how quiet Elevemile is has been wonderful.. but looking for a little more of a village now.

We need to spend some time up there next summer as my experience has mostly just been a few camping trips.

I no longer care about the quality of the schools but now its health care that matters. I have been through some fire seasons at Elevenmile so know the stress that comes with that aspect..

I dont really have any specific questions.. but any responses from retired folks living in that area would be at least interesting to read.. For me, its the mountains and the lake that are the attraction and I have enjoyed that area every time Ive been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Granby not Grandby.

I think Grand Lake area would be a very fun retirement area. Close to the the western edge of RMNP. Just be ready for a ton of tourists all summer.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Granby not Grandby
I guess the first step to looking into moving there is to spell the name correctly... LOL

Tourist.. yep, probably have to hibernate on the weekends but nice and quiet during the week days. One of the benefits of being retired.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Typo fixed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:54 AM

235 posts, read 355,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Just be ready for a ton of tourists all summer.
This.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post

Tourist.. yep, probably have to hibernate on the weekends but nice and quiet during the week days. One of the benefits of being retired.
during the tourist "high season" ... not necessarily so.

This area is a destination resort playground for a lot of folk who stay for a week or two ... or longer.

RMNP is a major draw and the region around it a heavy traffic recreation area. As well, many groups schedule week-long conferences/activities during the summer months.

If you're expecting that the area is "quiet" during the weekdays, you may be disappointed ... although it may be less active than during the weekends, it's still pretty busy from Memorial Day through Labor Day. You might want to spend a bit of time in the area to research what's important to you before making a buy decision in the area.

Of course, the lakes are big enough that an appropriate size sailboat will have some good opportunities to "get away" most days ... we mostly sail a C-22 or play around in Lasers if on Granby.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Hmm.. thanks for the feedback on the crowds. Colorado is just getting too crowded and we should spend some time up there next summer before deciding. I still cant think of a better place. Ive stayed at Stillwater campground on busy summer weekends and you had to reserve way in advance but I never thought the traffic was that bad but that was several years ago. I was also driving from I25 and Drycreek to I70 and Peoria every day for 15 years before retiring so maybe had a pretty thick skin for crowded conditions.

Looks like the closest medical facility of any kind is in Granby and Denver is not that far but driving to Denver is not something you want to do often (not because of the distance.. because of the heavy traffic). That is more important to my wife than myself but have to consider that.

Id like to get some sort of sailboat in the 25 to 26 foot range that would live in the yard during the winter and hopefully in a slip during the summer. Makes for a nice "fort" for retired guy to go to during the day to get out of the house. I could not find any info on slip fees on line.. another thing I will have to look into later. I also have a Hobie TI and have seen some really pleasant sailing days there plus one of the gustiest days I have ever seen.

I know there are other lakes in Colorado that dont have the tourist crowds (we currently have a cabin at Elevenmile res which has been very nice and quiet - but now maybe too quiet and remote and will get sold). As I mentioned.. some tourist crowds might not be that bad.. and the tourist are hopefully happier and more laid back than city commuters.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 918 times
My family has been here since 1938 we are one of the only colored natives here. Great area but half the population is racist only move here if you are white. The judges cops and officials do not want colored people in there community especially if your black. So in conclusion if your white you’ll be alright but if you colored I would advise staying away far away don’t even com on vacation. After all the slogan here is come on vacation leave on probation. Tim z second class citizen watch out for some one who tells you they were born and raised here RED FLAG RACIST

Old 03-09-2022, 04:57 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Walt moved elsewhere. (Old thread.)

Old 03-09-2022, 05:03 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Walt moved elsewhere. (Old thread.)
Yes, they moved to the Ridgway area and are very pleased with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado