U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:10 AM

2,790 posts, read 2,266,067 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female in my late 20s/early 30s and I'm looking to move to a new city that:
-is pretty affordable... I currently pay $900 to share a 4bed/2bath.. I think in some cities you could get a one bedroom for $900..
-is ethnically diverse
-has a friendly culture.. I currently live in Boston and dislike the generally cold and egotistical attitude
-is stable economically and has a lot of job opportunities
-is great for singles.. would like to live in a place where not everyone is coupled up
-has good food

I think that's about it. I'm aware of the Arizona heat and the unpredictable weather from Colorado. I don't mind humidity or the heat. I just couldn't do Chicago winters otherwise I'd move there. Any other place comes to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:20 AM

5,311 posts, read 2,757,146 times
Mixing your states and cities is weird. AZ, CO, Atlanta, Chicago?

One BR apt for less than $900 in a city (it’d be a city, with your wish list) that has ethnic diversity, “friendly” people (whatever your definition of friendly is), economic stability, lots of jobs (by which I assume you mean better than minimum wage), lots of singles, and good food comparable to the really big cities such as the two you named...

not a likely mix in CO.

You could split an apartment with roommates for less than $900 EACH person, but getting everything else on your list and avoiding cold winters, still not likely. CO is not economically stable. Look at the history of booms and busts.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 AM

738 posts, read 1,152,087 times
I am originally from Boston, have lived in Atlanta for about 20 years, and will be moving to the Denver area in a few months. Folks with more experience in Denver will be able to elaborate about that more than I can. I can't speak to Arizona, but here are my thoughts on the other two cities.

* Atlanta has a lower cost of living than Boston or Denver. Renting a one-bedroom for $900/month could be tricky, but you can rent a 4-bedroom house in an intown neighborhood for about $2500/month, so it could be affordable with roommates. Real estate prices have gone up a lot in Denver over the last few years, so rents are going up as well. Denver's not as pricey as Boston though, so it's all relative.

* Atlanta itself is about 50% African American, with strong Asian and Hispanic communities in the near suburbs. Once you get out into rural Georgia it's more Caucasian. I believe Denver is less ethnically diverse.

* When I moved to Atlanta from Boston, I was surprised at the genuine friendliness everywhere. Strangers don't hesitate to make eye contact and say good morning. In my experience, the Denver area is pretty friendly too, but have seen some threads here that say otherwise.

* Both Denver and Atlanta are reasonably economically stable. As everywhere, job opportunities depend on what kind of work you want to do. Atlanta has a growing movie and TV industry, which will be interesting to watch. The Colorado ski resorts have lots of service jobs, but the cost of living is high in those areas because wealthy tourists can afford it, so it's a tough balance.

* I think Atlanta has slightly fewer women than men, and I think Denver is about evenly split - although anecdotally I have heard that there are more men there. I think cities in general are more geared to singles than the suburbs.

* Good food is everywhere! I've been to great restaurants in both cities. I do miss Boston's right-off-the-boat seafood though.

* If you can't do Chicago winters, you may want to rethink Denver. The snow there is much dryer but plentiful, and depending on elevation, winter can be windy and last 6 months or more. Conversely, Atlanta has gentle winters but long, hot, humid summers, which I find miserable. That's actually part of the reason for my move.

* Editing to add that Atlanta has hellacious traffic. If you end up moving here, plan to live close to where you work.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by researchnerd; 12-21-2017 at 10:46 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 01:36 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,077,790 times
That's a pretty short list of qualifications. If your preference is Chicago without the winter, you won't find that in Denver or in Phoenix. Atlanta, maybe, but I don't know much about Atlanta. You may need to add another layer of requirements or weight the criteria you have.

For Denver
-affordable, compared to Boston, maybe. A decent 1 bd apartment will be $1200-1800 depending on amenities and location.
-ethnically diverse, depending on source, numbers kinda of break out as 57-77% White, 15-25% Hispanic, 11% black, 4% Asian, 2% Native American, less than 1% Pacific Islander. The white portion does have German, English, Irish, Italian, French, Polish within it. White and Hispanic totals obviously can vary depending on how they identify themselves.
-friendly culture, I'd bet a third or more of the metro population moved there from somewhere else, so yea, they tend to be friendly.
-stable economy, mostly, now days. It does see surges occasionally based on energy engagement but those have flattened quite a bit.
-singles, yes, plenty of those here
-good food, sure it can be found.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:26 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
I'm a single female in my late 20s/early 30s and I'm looking to move to a new city that:
-is pretty affordable... I currently pay $900 to share a 4bed/2bath.. I think in some cities you could get a one bedroom for $900..
-is ethnically diverse
-has a friendly culture.. I currently live in Boston and dislike the generally cold and egotistical attitude
-is great for singles.. would like to live in a place where not everyone is coupled up
-has good food

I think that's about it. I'm aware of the Arizona heat and the unpredictable weather from Colorado. I don't mind humidity or the heat. I just couldn't do Chicago winters otherwise I'd move there. Any other place comes to mind?
Atlanta.

It's affordable, full of singles, mild weather, solid economy, and ethnically diverse.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:41 PM

2,561 posts, read 1,806,132 times
Many cities in the mid-south would fit your requirements: Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville (although kind of small), Nashville, Dallas and Houston. I think most of the above mentioned would have a lower cost of living than Denver and a LOT less snow.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:26 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,108,098 times
^ Good points from Doug. I'd also say that the people are warmer in the south, with less egotism (Denver can be cold in that way at times too). There are tons of people relocating here (CO) from the north, and bringing what seems to be a cold/northern approach. Colorado is becoming less Coloradan over time. These same folks pretty much stay away from the south.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:51 AM

91 posts, read 109,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Good points from Doug. I'd also say that the people are warmer in the south, with less egotism (Denver can be cold in that way at times too). There are tons of people relocating here (CO) from the north, and bringing what seems to be a cold/northern approach. Colorado is becoming less Coloradan over time. These same folks pretty much stay away from the south.
True words!! I am a friendly outgoing person and lived in the Denver area for quite a while...moved to a smaller town to get away from cold attitudes. I have also lived in the south and love the culture...if we could get a southern culture going in CO, it would be awesome. CO is changing like many states.

I would choose Atlanta if it were me. You are close to many other cities and things to do. CO is awesome but we are kind of landlocked.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,395 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Many cities in the mid-south would fit your requirements: Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville (although kind of small), Nashville, Dallas and Houston. I think most of the above mentioned would have a lower cost of living than Denver and a LOT less snow.
This^^^. If you can stand southern ‘attitudes’. +/-

I would add Knoxville, Chattanooga, Greenville, SC, for a few more affordable cities with nice vibe.

If not... the West (California) is most of what you want (except $900 / month housing).

But wages are high.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:11 AM

1,100 posts, read 539,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
-is ethnically diverse
-has good food

For a single female Aurora should be ideal. It is NE Denver near the airport. That part of
CO is generally more affordable for that price range. Another option could be Westminster off of US 36.
Broomfield may also be amenable. Boulder is too expensive for that range you listed.

Culturally, you may like the outdoor range of activities: hiking, running, skiing, biking, recreational sports,
etc. Metro Denver leans on the liberal side in contrast to other western towns (e.g. Salt Lake City).
Colorado actually voted to keep affirmative action about 10 years ago, which really surprised me.
By contrast, it was outlawed in Florida in 2000.

As for dating, you have the extreme demographic advantage with the odds tremendously in your
favor. Denver is jokingly referred to as "Menver". For many single females - "It's raining men" (LOL).

But for single men, it's best to avoid Metro Denver and Boulder. That's why I live in Phoenix (LOL).
I don't care for that gender ratio in Denver, but for you it should be ideal.

Just try to avoid the immoral vanity when you are swamped with dating options like the woman in this scene (LOL).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGdhc9k07Ms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or