U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,541 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Durango, Colorado. I have a potential job, a subdivision I am excited about, and love the idea of making exploring the San Juan mountains a part of my life. However, I am eco-minded and have recently been concerned about environmental factors in the Durango area such as radioactivity, heavy metals in the river, and general mining environmental havoc from the historic mining through to the clean up efforts in the 1990s. Should I avoid housing within a certain distance to where they have buried the uranium mine tailings? How is the drinking water? Do the people of Durango worry about such things? Perhaps I am just making up this issue in my mind, and Iím guessing I need a reality check from locals. I have lived in Flagstaff before and it is still an option for my family as well. Iím fully aware of housing costs, limited job options, etc. in Durango.

Last edited by Coolwestgal; 12-24-2017 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Added state to town for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 12:02 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,950,041 times
Yes, there are a range of environmental issues in area including an ozone hole, water salinity / gas contamination in spots, high UV, forest fire threats and the other stuff you mentioned. Some things you can avoid or minimize, some you can't but you are ahead in thinking about them. There are positives too associated with the wild and diverse geography. You could check out this group for more info or to help: Home - San Juan Citizens Alliance Other groups around too, this one has a broader agenda and bigger membership than most.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-24-2017 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-25-2017, 10:16 AM

The uranium tailings issue isn't discussed much. Maybe it was / is by old-timers but not newcomers. https://durangoherald.com/articles/37870
Clean up may have been best they could do when they got around to it but the tailings went lots of places with the wind and earlier uses / burials.

The threat is probably worse on area / regional hiking trails and rivers in CO & Utah where it was dug up / leeches out and generally was not treated than in town Durango where it was dealt with eventually but it probably isn't really zero there either.

https://www.durangoutdoors.com/trail...tain-trail.htm

Superfund sites are lots of places, well known and not. https://www.epa.gov/superfund/search...where-you-live
Overall Durango is not high on the list for quantity and severity (now). Flagstaff ranks higher than Durango on Superfund activity but both are better than national average.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-25-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,541 times
Thank you very much NW Crow for the information and links! I'm glad to hear that Durango locals aren't overly concerned with the uranium taiiings at this time at least, although it sounds like the historic mining issues will always be an issue there.

I'm not seeing Flagstaff's Superfund sites on your search (I looked through the entire Arizona list on the EPA link and see only a Havasupai and Cameron Superfund sites which are quite far away in Coconino County).

On the bright side, I think living admidst these issues is one reason Durango has robust environmental advocacy groups and non-profits.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:11 PM

If you come to Durango you'll probably already be in upper tier of environmental awareness. Some people may see runners, hikers, bikers, kayakers and infer environmental rosiness.

The superfund sites in Flagstaff area may indeed be mainly in county. Props for looking. I'll send you a link by private message that I can't post that explains why I said what I did.

There has been broad concern over the dramatic event of mine waste runoff into the Animas River. There was little awareness or concern about the chronic, steady slow runoff before that, for about 120-140 years. But it will probably get better. Maybe worse again now & then. Threats remain. Plenty to work on.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-27-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or