U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 03:52 PM

13,213 posts, read 24,255,413 times

Advertisements

Worst IMO:

Another plug for Craig. It's just way out there, and once you're there, you wonder why anybody else is.

Steamboat Springs. Why in God's name do we need a ski town you nearly have to kill yourself to get to? What's the big freaking deal about this place?

Winter Park. See again: yourself to get there, killing.

^I swore off going to any of those places ever again earlier this year, but sadly did have to go to Steamboat Springs last week (but at least I was paid nicely for it ).

I've never been big on Walsenburg. And Las Animas is pretty gross. Everywhere else is pretty well just fine in my book.

From the list, I do like Sheridan, Trinidad, Lamar, Sterling, and Aurora. I'm meh on Pueblo, and am neutral or haven't been to the rest.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:18 PM

12,170 posts, read 20,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm meh on Pueblo, and am neutral or haven't been to the rest.
Pueblo is not for everyone as we are a manufacturing city now big on marijuana but to say its among the worse towns is goofy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 07:29 PM

13,263 posts, read 25,405,201 times
Montrose one of the worst towns? Unbiased scientific study?
Ridiculous. Almost not worth posting about except I have to.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:43 PM

825 posts, read 1,598,186 times
These kinds of lists always leave me with more questions than answers.

First, like some of the other posters, "High Density" is a negative for me. And people who tout a certain place as having "lots to do" often get a little vague when pressed for specifics. I can walk out my front door and hike for miles 300 plus days a year. Or I could live in Denver and attend, what, eight Broncos games? If I could afford it. And had the time. And wanted to go.

The crime issue is one that deserves more attention than mere statistics. Over the years I have noticed that some communities where the citizens feel quite safe show high crime numbers. How much of this crime is occurring out in the neighborhoods vs. out along the highways among transients? In small towns it seems that crime reports often originate in motels. bars, or parking lots alongside whatever highway passes through. In a small community it does not take that many such incidents to significantly skew the statistics. I could be absolutely wrong about this - it is just an observation.

What is the source for the stated real estate prices? Sheridan is listed as having an average house price of $151,000, yet nothing seems to be for sale at less than $300,000. Aurora is said to have an average house value of $206,300 but Realtor.com shows 710 properties for sale and less than 30 are listed for less than $210,000 - nearly all of them condos. And where do I buy houses in Federal Heights for $42,000?

Is there a compilation of 10 Worst Lists Made in 2017?

Old 12-27-2017, 05:48 AM

284 posts, read 615,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This list is goofy to include Pueblo.

Good education

CSU Pueblo and PCC. Sure dist 60 has issues but dist 70 does not.

Lots of jobs

The employment rate is lower then the national average.

Low crime

Crime can be a issue depending on what part of the city you live in but its mostly petty theft

Low poverty

Again depends on the side of town.

Nice homes

We have that. In fact my house is as nice as any house I see in Colorado Springs or Denver and looks like a 60's tastic ranch style house you would find in Palm Springs CA.

High incomes

Ok we do not hve this but Pueblo is always in the top 10 most affordable places to live in the nation.

High population density (Lots of things to do)

Pueblo has a thriving art scene and movies and plenty of restaurants with no traffic.

Short work commutes

Very short.

Health insurance

Yes.
Of course you would say that. But you’re Mr. Pueblo, so you have to hijack another thread and post more propaganda about how Pueblo is the best place on Earth, despite the stigma.

I don’t agree with the methodology of this “study,” but Pueblo has the stigma for a reason.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,096,886 times
go Pueblo !

Old 12-29-2017, 11:19 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,056,189 times
Pueblo is an old school manufacturing, working class city. That does bring with it a different set of social issues than what is typically encountered in NorCo. Call it stigma if you want, but a lot of that is changing. It does hold potential for a quite a few things these days. It may not be on the hipster radar, but I'd bet a lot of folks there could care less if it is.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:33 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,096,886 times
at least beards are welcome there ....

Old 12-30-2017, 10:51 AM

20,811 posts, read 38,977,896 times
IIRC, I've said this before on "worst" places to live: It's anywhere you DON'T want to be....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 531,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
For a guy looking to settle down (roughly mid 20s to early 30s with some exceptions), the
worse place to live is probably Metro Denver/Boulder. The gender ratio is grossly uneven
with far more men than women. Denver is jokingly referred to as "Menver".

One of the greatest comedy scenes filmed in Colorado actually had a hint of "realism" about
the "odds" - LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFTRwD85AQ4

To be real, here is a typical complaint by a male Boulderite trying to find a date.
Shortage of Single Women in Boulder

I don't have to worry about that in Phoenix. As a guy, the odds are much better here.

But for single women Denver and Boulder dating should be ideal. For men it's often horrible.
Most likely, there will be some guy who counters proclaiming that he always gets dates.
I don't dispute that. But for every guy like that there are likely several others or more struggling
out there in the dating world of Metro Denver and Boulder.
Considering moving -- unhappy with dating scene - LoveShack.org Community Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or