U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 PM

88 posts, read 272,223 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving out of Boulder County to the Western Slope. Montrose appeals to me because of its location and proximity to places like Telluride, Crested Butte and Moab and the lower housing prices. There appears to be jobs, not high paying but could be sustainable if I was able to spend less on housing.

I'm conflicted about what I'm hearing about Montrose. I currently live in Boulder County and am a left-leaning Independent. I went to school in Gunnison and I'm really looking for a simpler lifestyle. I've heard that people are nice and Montros and I've heard that they are stand off-ish if you're not from there.

Would love to hear more about Montrose from those who live there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 11:07 PM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Sounds like you’re ‘Feeling lost, lacking in some direction......’

Old 12-27-2017, 04:18 PM

82 posts, read 58,800 times
My first reaction was "you're a lost sailor"...

Old 12-27-2017, 06:46 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Althea, it looks like you've been wanting to move to somewhere else for a few years. Earlier this year you considered Eugene OR and said recently that you had a job offer in St. Petersburg FL. I'm just wondering what you are really looking for. Do jobs and budget fit into your criteria? What about weather? Sounds like you have researched Montrose, but is it really someplace that you'd be happy compared to Eugene and St. Pete?

BTW, people anywhere will be standoffish to newcomers, especially small towns.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:25 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Most people can find a handful or two of people with similar interests / values if they work hard at it or at least people they don't completely disagree with on everything. While it is nice even potentially important to be in the majority, there are a lot of imperfect fits that may be good enough if you decide to try to exist within them. Rail against or grumble about what you want as much as you want but put it on the shelf when you need to or have something better to do.

Left leaning Independent is an interesting way to phrase your general posture. Most people can relate to or tolerate Independents. Some people may only hear "left leaning" though. Could say "I am an Independent concerned about my personal rights, the land and the health of my community". Some people on the right may still basically consider you a communist for saying community but most people will probably let the words pass AND wait to see what you do.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-27-2017 at 07:37 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSailor4326 View Post
My first reaction was "you're a lost sailor"...
Been way too long at sea

Old 12-29-2017, 07:58 PM

2,259 posts, read 2,130,663 times
Montrose is a retirement community, with high housing prices and very limited job opportunities. A 1 bedroom apt is easily $800 which can be tough when you job pays minimum wage, as most do. The vacancies you see here are typically part-time, making it even less affordable.

If you are a left leaning independent, then you are at odds with Montrose. Most folks from here are closed in their friendships etc., and making new friends is harder here than anywhere I have ever been. In addition, it is very conservative and a very god-fearing church type of city. We have been here 2 years and are actively looking to move.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:56 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,398,038 times
Traffic can be a nightmare, drug use and crime is on the increase. Montrose used to be a nice town.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Traffic can be a nightmare, drug use and crime is on the increase. Montrose used to be a nice town.
Nightmare traffic is pretty relative.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,398,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Nightmare traffic is pretty relative.
Bumper to bumper blocking intersections to me in nightmare traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or