U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:48 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,243,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
beezle1, I notice that your location is in the Black Forest. I have a friend I went to high school with that lives there too and lost her cabin in the fire back in 2013. Her brother lost his place there as well. They've both since have rebuilt. She has a website about the fire:

Our Wildfire Story
Yep that fire was devastating. We live on the far north end of the forest, on the Palmer Divide. We had to evacuate for 4 days, with our animals and horses. Closest fire came about 1.5 miles from our place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM

204 posts, read 202,623 times
39 miles. Ouch. Hopefully he can negotiate some work-at-home days.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:17 AM

87 posts, read 47,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
39 miles. Ouch. Hopefully he can negotiate some work-at-home days.
More than half of the trip, 25 miles to Castle Rock, is highway driving. I don't know if there's lots of traffic on Co Road 98 and then CO-83 N. He'd then jump onto I-25 in Castle Rock to Lone Tree.

Closer places, such as Castle Rock, Lone Tree, Aurora and Parker, the housing prices were way out of their budget and most had HOA fees added on. At least he doesn't have to deal with I-25 south of Castle Rock.

I'll ask him if he could work from home, especially in bad weather. BTW, he grew up in WNY and is used to driving in the snow. His wife grew up in Wisconsin, so she's used to it as well. They're young and should be able to handle it.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,243,630 times
98 and 83 will have very little traffic. 83 has become a bypass for the interstate though, so if there is any issue on the interstate, people head to 83. He could take 83 all the way up to Lincoln and then head west to Lone Tree, to avoid the interstate all together. 83 does get a little more congested once you get north of Franktown and into Parker, but I still prefer it over the interstate.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:08 AM

6,569 posts, read 10,296,040 times
Just a small piece of advice - if the winter climate of Elbert is anything like Monument they're gonna want a snowblower, and I hope their driveway isn't north-facing.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
98 and 83 will have very little traffic. 83 has become a bypass for the interstate though, so if there is any issue on the interstate, people head to 83. He could take 83 all the way up to Lincoln and then head west to Lone Tree, to avoid the interstate all together. 83 does get a little more congested once you get north of Franktown and into Parker, but I still prefer it over the interstate.
Thanks beezle1! I'll pass this onto him. It's nice that he'll have options. I have various options I can take with my drive into and from work and I don't have to take the often congested expressway at the rush hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73
Just a small piece of advice - if the winter climate of Elbert is anything like Monument they're gonna want a snowblower, and I hope their driveway isn't north-facing.
Thanks bluescreen73! From what I understand, they don't have a driveway, but I'll ask the next time I Facetime with them. It looks like they'll park right in front of the house.

Last edited by rochester_veteran; 12-31-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 AM

BTW, Elbert School, is beautiful from the photos I've seen of it and recently built in 2014. It's going to be a few years before my grandson starts school as he's 1 year 4 months old. The school is just up the street from their house. The preschool accepts kids at 3 years old. My daughter in law is a stay at home mom and she's also a teacher and I could see her getting involved in helping with the preschool program once my grandson starts.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,129,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
More than half of the trip, 25 miles to Castle Rock, is highway driving.

This actually is the dangerous part. Ground blizzards with blowing wind can limit visibility to such a point that it is easy to actually loose sight of the road and end up off the shoulder and in a fence, or get caught in a drift that accumulated 30 minutes behind a plow came through.

It is not something that happens multiple times a year, but it does happen on occasion and there are often stories of people who had to overnight in their vehicles as a result. This presents a separate set of concerns about cold, hunger, and carbon monoxide poisoning, so please advise them to be up on these things.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
This actually is the dangerous part. Ground blizzards with blowing wind can limit visibility to such a point that it is easy to actually loose sight of the road and end up off the shoulder and in a fence, or get caught in a drift that accumulated 30 minutes behind a plow came through.

It is not something that happens multiple times a year, but it does happen on occasion and there are often stories of people who had to overnight in their vehicles as a result. This presents a separate set of concerns about cold, hunger, and carbon monoxide poisoning, so please advise them to be up on these things.
Yeah, understood! We get lake effect snow in WNY and it's especially dangerous when the winds are coming out of the west, which is the prevailing wind and whipping snow squalls off of Lake Erie. The north/south roads are especially dangerous from white outs, blowing snow, zero visibility conditions.

I've read "Centennial" and James A. Michener's account of pioneer families having to deal with blizzards on the Eastern Plains of Colorado. BTW, I lived in Denver when the infamous The Christmas Eve blizzard of 1982 hit. My wife and I were living in the DU neighborhood in Denver when it hit and we easily got 4 feet of snow. We were driving with chains on our tires for two weeks! That blizzard cost Mayor McNichols the election to Federico Pena. Here's a photo of my wife and I digging out of the snow:

Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 PM

My wife standing in the snow in the DU neighborhood of Denver in the aftermath of the 1982 Blizzard:

Yeah, we both wore garbage bags on our legs to ward off the snow drifts!

We were partners in crime and I miss her so much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado