U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 AM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,113,240 times
Reputation: 679

Advertisements

it looks like you all had fun on that day. My condolences .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2018, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
87 posts, read 46,978 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
it looks like you all had fun on that day. My condolences .
Thanks wilberry! We pretty much always made a good time out of things, even when digging out from a blizzard! This is us in Rocky Mountain National Park in 1982, when we first got together. We both worked at St. Joseph Hospital in Denver and that's where I met her. We were together for 35 1/2 years. She was a wonderful woman...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 12:23 PM
 
644 posts, read 389,533 times
Reputation: 881
Congrats on their home offer....it actually sounds like a neat idea. The school does look nice and really modern.

I have never been to Elbert, but I did drive up 83 the day after our last snow and the remnants of rock salt were on the sides pretty much the whole way, so it's getting at least some attention in bad weather.

Love the old pictures of you and your wife. Thank you for sharing with us..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
87 posts, read 46,978 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Congrats on their home offer....it actually sounds like a neat idea. The school does look nice and really modern.

I have never been to Elbert, but I did drive up 83 the day after our last snow and the remnants of rock salt were on the sides pretty much the whole way, so it's getting at least some attention in bad weather.

Love the old pictures of you and your wife. Thank you for sharing with us..
Thanks abcdefg567! I didn't know that Colorado used rock salt. It's used here in Western New York and it rots out cars, but it is effective in melting ice on roadways.

Here's one more of my wife and I. In our '69 Impala convertible on our wedding day, October 22, 1982!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 04:40 PM
 
644 posts, read 389,533 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
Thanks abcdefg567! I didn't know that Colorado used rock salt. It's used here in Western New York and it rots out cars, but it is effective in melting ice on roadways.

Here's one more of my wife and I. In our '69 Impala convertible on our wedding day, October 22, 1982!

From CDOT, I guess it's a mix of stuff. There was white residue on both sides....so it may have been the liquid.
https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/faqs.html

And that is adorable! You guys look so happy.
*ETA, my condolences too.

I had family who lived in Elizabeth which is sort of nearby, before the housing boom. They were living there because it was cheaper at the time and working in Denver. They definitely gained quite a bit of equity, but complain that it's gotten too crowded. I've never been, so can't work to that.

It seems like Elbert may be in for something similar. They're building houses way close to Franktown (technically still Parker?) and the signs says starting in the 400s. So, I think that they're pretty lucky to find a house that is relatively close. And especially at that price. We had a similar budget and first tried a townhome in Aurora (huge mistake, besides selling it) and then Colorado Springs. I'd be open to Elbert though!

Anyways, hope they like it.

Did she think that she'd feel more comfortable there since she's from a small town? (Your DIL)

Last edited by abcdefg567; 01-01-2018 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
87 posts, read 46,978 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
From CDOT, I guess it's a mix of stuff. There was white residue on both sides....so it may have been the liquid.
https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/faqs.html

And that is adorable! You guys look so happy.
*ETA, my condolences too.

I had family who lived in Elizabeth which is sort of nearby, before the housing boom. They were living there because it was cheaper at the time and working in Denver. They definitely gained quite a bit of equity, but complain that it's gotten too crowded. I've never been, so can't work to that.

It seems like Elbert may be in for something similar. They're building houses way close to Franktown (technically still Parker?) and the signs says starting in the 400s. So, I think that they're pretty lucky to find a house that is relatively close. And especially at that price. We had a similar budget and first tried a townhome in Aurora (huge mistake, besides selling it) and then Colorado Springs. I'd be open to Elbert though!

Anyways, hope they like it.

Did she think that she'd feel more comfortable there since she's from a small town? (Your DIL)
Yes, my wife and I were really happy! We were so much in love and stayed that way until my wife died.

Yeah, my daughter in law will shine in Elbert. She's a sweetheart and super talented!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 06:44 PM
 
16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times
Reputation: 47975
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
Yeah, understood! We get lake effect snow in WNY and it's especially dangerous when the winds are coming out of the west, which is the prevailing wind and whipping snow squalls off of Lake Erie. The north/south roads are especially dangerous from white outs, blowing snow, zero visibility conditions.

I've read "Centennial" and James A. Michener's account of pioneer families having to deal with blizzards on the Eastern Plains of Colorado. BTW, I lived in Denver when the infamous The Christmas Eve blizzard of 1982 hit. My wife and I were living in the DU neighborhood in Denver when it hit and we easily got 4 feet of snow. We were driving with chains on our tires for two weeks! That blizzard cost Mayor McNichols the election to Federico Pena. Here's a photo of my wife and I digging out of the snow:
Yes, that sunk Mayor McNichols! And the reason for it was that the street maintenance people were caught flat footed as two low pressure systems converged in Denver at the same time. Only one tv weather guy (I'm thinking Stormy Rottman on Channel 9) said that this storm has the potential to be ugly. Well, it was that-and more, much more. 4 feet of snow, indeed, though I think the official count was 28 inches. It varied around the metro area, IIRC it averaged 3 feet in the metro area but it drifted at 4 to 6 feet in areas.

I did some volunteer work in my area as the only people who could get out were people in 4 wheel drives. And what made the real mess was the fact that for pretty much all of January the temperature did not get over 32 degrees. The roads to say the least were a mess, the side streets could not be plowed for weeks after the storm. The one guy who made a mint was the guy who was selling bumper stickers that said "I survived the Blizzard of '82!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 09:37 PM
 
644 posts, read 389,533 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
Yes, my wife and I were really happy! We were so much in love and stayed that way until my wife died.

Yeah, my daughter in law will shine in Elbert. She's a sweetheart and super talented!
That is awesome, so sweet.

You'll have to update us in a few months on how they like it. 😀
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 12:49 PM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,113,240 times
Reputation: 679
great pictures of a young Colorado couple , classic photos . I had a friend who worked At St . Joseph, she was an EEG tech and moved to ALBQ around 1981 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
87 posts, read 46,978 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
That is awesome, so sweet.

You'll have to update us in a few months on how they like it. ��
Thanks abcdefg567! I will provide an update to this thread and let you know how they're doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry
great pictures of a young Colorado couple , classic photos . I had a friend who worked At St . Joseph, she was an EEG tech and moved to ALBQ around 1981 .
Thanks wilberry! Your friend worked there when my wife and I worked there! I worked in hospital security and then in materials management. My wife was a unit secretary. St. Joseph was a tight-knit place so chances are we knew her, at least in passing.

Those were the days! Ever go to the Satire Lounge on Colfax? That was hangout for hospital staff for after work gatherings. Good Mexican food and their famous Blue Margarita!

Pete's Satire Lounge Preserves a Piece of Old Denver | Westword
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top