U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 02:57 PM

87 posts, read 45,570 times

Advertisements

I just got word from my son that he and his wife are putting in a purchase offer on a house they looked at this past weekend in Elbert, Colorado. It's 37 miles northeast of Colorado Springs. It's a cute little place, living room, kitchen, two bedrooms, one bathroom with a utility room in back with washer and dryer hookups. It has a nice front porch too (something I love!). I'm surprised they found something within their price range and this place was it and it's all been updated and they really like it. I looked up Elbert and it's a small town, 230 people as of the 2010 census, and it has its own school that's recently built. Does anybody here know anything about Elbert and if so, please share, so I can pass it on to my son and his wife? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 06:15 PM

5,325 posts, read 7,175,930 times
I think it is a fairly nice middle-of-nowhere-ish town that I think could end up becoming a future bedroom community area to Douglas County and southern Denver metro/northern Colorado Springs. Right now the county has little to offer in the way of amenities to my knowledge such as stores, trails, doctors, etc., and I would expect for most of that he may be looking at a commute at least some of the time. I've only been there rarely - once to visit some long-ago relatives in the cemetery there, another time looking at birds for an official bird count, etc. I think I would like living there, but if someone does not want rural, I'd say it is still pretty small town rural. One thing I like about it is that for as far east as it is, it does not feel like a typical eastern plains town because it still has some of that Black Forest/Castlewood Canyon type-terrain going on right there.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:39 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,104,060 times
There is a really nice school there ., the Elbert Bulldogs . It is not far from Elizabeth which used to be an out of the way rural town but now has some very rich people with McMansions there .

Old 12-28-2017, 08:24 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,084,054 times
While Elbert is nearer some bluffs, rolling hills, and some diverse wild life, commuting to Denver will require driving through the prairie, which can be a dangerous proposition when blizzards roll through. I'd recommend they have some basic survival stuff stashed in every car in winter months; blanket, can of sterno, chocolate bars or trail mix, small shovel, kitty litter.

There are some bargains to be found out that way if one looks.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:26 PM

204 posts, read 199,189 times
Commuting from Elbert to Denver metro or Colorado Springs is a long commute no matter what. Commuting to Castle Rock (25 miles) is definitely more manageable. But as TCHP points out, you get some snow and wind out there on the prairie of the Palmer Divide and all bets are off as to whether or not you'll even be able to get through. If I had to commute from there, I'd want a good AWD vehicle and the flexibility to take days off (or work from home) when (not if) the bad weather days roll in.

Elbert is a ways out, so it will keep it's "small town" feel longer than other surrounding towns. But it's only a matter of time before towns like Elbert get swallowed up by the larger metro areas heading their way from north, south, and west. Good for property values. Bad for community, though. If you want to know what that will look like visit Parker, CO sometime.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:47 AM

Thanks all for the feedback! I'll pass it on to my son and daughter in law. BTW, their purchase offer was accepted, so it looks like they're moving to Elbert! My son works in the southern most portion of the DTC, in Lone Tree and it's a 39 mile drive to there. They have a 4WD Ford Explorer and also a Prius. Maybe they should trade the Prius for another car with AWD? My daughter in law is from a small town in Wisconsin, so she's used to living life in a small town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
There is a really nice school there ., the Elbert Bulldogs . It is not far from Elizabeth which used to be an out of the way rural town but now has some very rich people with McMansions there .
Yes, the Bulldogs, including 6 man football! I've heard of 6 man football, but have never seen it played. I guess I will now with the possibility of my grandson playing when he gets of age (we're a football family and my son played from youth football to college ball).

They got the place for $189,000, so it's well within their budget, which had a top end of $250,000, but they really didn't want to go that high, especially with HOA fees tacked on. There is no HOA for their house in Elbert. The only thing is seeing it's out in the boonies, when I visit them there's no hotels close by and the closest ones are in Castle Rock, so it will be 25 mile drive to get to their place, but that's not too bad. BTW, the same house would have cost around $70-80,000 in the Rochester area and it goes to show how hot of a place to live that Colorado is.

I had cancelled my plans for moving to Colorado Springs because they were looking to transfer to Dallas because they couldn't find a house they could afford in Colorado, but now that they found an affordable place, I may consider relocating again. My daughter moved in with me and my older son and his girlfriend are expecting a baby, my second grandchild, so I have that to consider and I won't be making the move in September 2018, but I'll consider it in the future. My daughter is definitely a go for moving to Colorado. My older son and his girlfriend are iffy on it, especially now with a baby on the way. I'd really like to move to Colorado and it still may happen!

Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 AM

20,848 posts, read 39,075,211 times
Elbert is a decent place to be especially if one likes wide open space, lower prices, wildlife, etc.

Use our search tool to find the threads with info on winter survival supplies to keep in the cars; though more urgent for mountain driving it works fine for being out on the plains too.

Is it correct that the move to Texas is off?

Elbert falls outside of our COLO SPGS forum so I'll move this to the main COLO forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:07 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,226,688 times
You might be able to find a B&B that is closer to their place when you come to visit.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Is it correct that the move to Texas is off?
Yes, they're staying in Colorado now that they're buying the house in Elbert.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
You might be able to find a B&B that is closer to their place when you come to visit.
Yes, there are a couple of B&Bs that popped up when I did a search for hotels near Elbert, Fox Run Bed & Breakfast and Rogers Inn The Pines.

beezle1, I notice that your location is in the Black Forest. I have a friend I went to high school with that lives there too and lost her cabin in the fire back in 2013. Her brother lost his place there as well. They've both since have rebuilt. She has a website about the fire:

http://wildfiresurvivors.com/wildfire-story/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado