U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,364 posts, read 1,810,285 times
Reputation: 3298

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Why does one need to know how to weld in order to work any job besides a welder?
If you can't weld you are not a real man in stealthrabbits eyes apparently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2018, 12:53 PM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,112,387 times
Reputation: 679
Damn I almost made the list except for Semi-trucks ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 02:39 PM
 
922 posts, read 989,292 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
3) I hired (6) STEM millennials this yr) They are actually quite worthless as engaged / contributing employees. They have NO experience!!! I mean NO.. (mechanical product design and manufacturing) Most boomers knew how to weld / build furniture / houses, fix cars, operate machine tools, chainsaws, semi trucks...... All LONG before they were out looking for work. (i.e... they did creative things as kids / many had relevant jobs before and through HS and college), All but one of my new hires was still driving 'mommy's car!!!
My God, if all Baby Boomers were as skilled in so many technical and life skills as you profess than how in the hell did you get your asses handed to you in Vietnam? You should have been natural born warriors. Spartans. Forged by a youth of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears.

(My post is entirely sarcastic, but equally stereotypical as Stealth's comments)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 01:04 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Reputation: 23673
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
If you can't weld you are not a real man ...
I've hired a LOT of excellent female welders (and (especially) female truck-drivers)

After all... who is doing the hiring here?


"Colorado Divide: Why some Coloradans are cashing out of the Front Range and seeking their rural happily-ever-after"


hint:
Not the whiners...

some of us have 'moved-on' (decades ago) (Not the whiners...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM
 
7 posts, read 17,038 times
Reputation: 11
We relocated from Parker (Douglas County) last year after my husband found his dream property in Paonia (Delta County) several years ago before he retired. We have Mt. Lamborn and Lands End peaks as the view out of our front door, several ponds, and tons of wildlife. Paonia is also Colorado Wine Country.

We don't have much in the way of conveniences though, and I regularly drive 2 hours each way to our closest Costco (the Sams Club in Grand Junction is much closer but is TERRIBLE). Most other conveniences can be found between Delta/Montrose/Grand Junction which makes it tolerable but not enjoyable to me personally. My husband on the other hand, thinks he has died and gone to heaven. Of course I'm the one doing the grocery and errand shopping so I am pretty much always on the road.

Thank heavens for Sirius XM and Android Auto in my SUV! I suspect things are starting to change since we were in one of the first groups to get Fiber Optic gig internet service, and all of a sudden real estate prices seems to be jumping, especially for larger acreage residential. I think the Californians are starting to discover us...which makes me happy because where they come in, businesses like Costco are soon to follow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 12:00 PM
 
319 posts, read 150,690 times
Reputation: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by StElmoQn View Post
We relocated from Parker (Douglas County) last year after my husband found his dream property in Paonia (Delta County) several years ago before he retired. We have Mt. Lamborn and Lands End peaks as the view out of our front door, several ponds, and tons of wildlife. Paonia is also Colorado Wine Country.

We don't have much in the way of conveniences though, and I regularly drive 2 hours each way to our closest Costco (the Sams Club in Grand Junction is much closer but is TERRIBLE). Most other conveniences can be found between Delta/Montrose/Grand Junction which makes it tolerable but not enjoyable to me personally. My husband on the other hand, thinks he has died and gone to heaven. Of course I'm the one doing the grocery and errand shopping so I am pretty much always on the road.

Thank heavens for Sirius XM and Android Auto in my SUV! I suspect things are starting to change since we were in one of the first groups to get Fiber Optic gig internet service, and all of a sudden real estate prices seems to be jumping, especially for larger acreage residential. I think the Californians are starting to discover us...which makes me happy because where they come in, businesses like Costco are soon to follow!
Be careful what you wish for! Costco + wildlife don't go together . . . an oxymoron in the making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,164 posts, read 11,774,111 times
Reputation: 32161
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Be careful what you wish for! Costco + wildlife don't go together . . . an oxymoron in the making.
Yeah, I was thinking that too - if Costco comes in, that poster's husband will want to move to someplace more remote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 PM
 
230 posts, read 143,876 times
Reputation: 171
So which Colorado small towns have fast internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 09:45 AM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,743 posts, read 4,368,044 times
Reputation: 10398
I left the Front Range because I got fed up with the population pressure way back in the early 80's. I returned to the Colorado Springs mostly out of concern for my aging parents. Once they passed on, I headed back to the Western Slope as fast as my truck would go. The biggest problem with small towns out here are a lack of jobs with decent pay, but you can get around this if you have a skill set/education that is in demand by employers. Retirees don't need to worry about this of course, but medical care (access to specialists) can be a problem. In my small town of Cortez, we had several primary care docs either retire or move their practice elsewhere in the space of a year. We are small enough that the loss of even three doctors has had a negative impact on the quality of medical care here.

Internet connections are OK and you can get high speed Internet in more affluent towns like Durango. The Cortez City Council is exploring implementing high speed broadband for the town proper. I don't know if those of us who live outside the city limits would benefit from this or not.

I have a friend back in the Springs who is trying to convince me to move back, and I've been considering it just to be closer to good medical care as much as anything else. However, I would be renting my home and the explosion in the price of rentals in El Paso County is both astonishing and demoralizing. I am picky about the neighborhoods I would want to live in, and it's obvious to me that the only way I'll find what I want (IF I find what I want) is by spending a great deal of time "on the ground" in the Springs and by utilizing the "friend of a friend" network. Even then...

I am tentatively planning a visit toward mid May to check things out, but I don't feel very optimistic at the moment. For people who don't have any special connection with the Springs the way I do (It's where I grew up), there are plenty of other cities in other states where the price of real estate is not astronomical and it's possible to find a decent paying job. Just my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,364 posts, read 1,810,285 times
Reputation: 3298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I left the Front Range because I got fed up with the population pressure way back in the early 80's. I returned to the Colorado Springs mostly out of concern for my aging parents. Once they passed on, I headed back to the Western Slope as fast as my truck would go. The biggest problem with small towns out here are a lack of jobs with decent pay, but you can get around this if you have a skill set/education that is in demand by employers. Retirees don't need to worry about this of course, but medical care (access to specialists) can be a problem. In my small town of Cortez, we had several primary care docs either retire or move their practice elsewhere in the space of a year. We are small enough that the loss of even three doctors has had a negative impact on the quality of medical care here.

Internet connections are OK and you can get high speed Internet in more affluent towns like Durango. The Cortez City Council is exploring implementing high speed broadband for the town proper. I don't know if those of us who live outside the city limits would benefit from this or not.

I have a friend back in the Springs who is trying to convince me to move back, and I've been considering it just to be closer to good medical care as much as anything else. However, I would be renting my home and the explosion in the price of rentals in El Paso County is both astonishing and demoralizing. I am picky about the neighborhoods I would want to live in, and it's obvious to me that the only way I'll find what I want (IF I find what I want) is by spending a great deal of time "on the ground" in the Springs and by utilizing the "friend of a friend" network. Even then...

I am tentatively planning a visit toward mid May to check things out, but I don't feel very optimistic at the moment. For people who don't have any special connection with the Springs the way I do (It's where I grew up), there are plenty of other cities in other states where the price of real estate is not astronomical and it's possible to find a decent paying job. Just my humble opinion.
I hope you move back to the springs we need all the quality people we can get. It has changed significantly however since you left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top