U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,727,298 times

Advertisements

My brother lives in Paonia and really likes it. I also have relatives in Montrose. All my western slope relatives don't care much for what the Front Range has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 04:37 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,312,750 times
Leadville?
Craig?
Kremmling?
Parachute/Battlement Mesa?
Rifle/Silt/New Castle?
Fairplay?
Beulah?
Trinidad?
Walsenburg?
La Veta?
Aguilar?

I don't get the La Junta suggestions (doesn't really seem like what you're looking for), but La Junta?

Lamar is a nice town.

Not much in Eads.

Wray is nice, Yuma is ok.

Sterling? Julesburg? Holyoke? Akron? Burlington? Limon? Brush?

Seriously, the choices are almost endless.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:04 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
OP, when we were looking at a place to have a home in Colorado after retiring, we spent several summers driving around to virtually every town listed on this thread and probably more. As much as I love Cedaredge, we finally chose Buena Vista for its (relative) closeness to the Front Range and our grandchildren.

I know you are looking to move soon, but maybe you could find a six-month rental in Denver while you look around. You really need to decide what will fit your needs and what just feels good to you. Since you don't need a job in your new town, your choices are wide open.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
How much 'Town" do you require?

There are many 'areas' in the mtns that have some services / but no town.

Red Feather Lakes (NW of Ft Collins) is a popular 'hideout', in the 'mtns' that is also close to WY (advantages).

Jelm, WY similar.

The 'plains' is a 'different' Colorado (+/-)

My roots are in Haxtun, CO. (prairie) We used a tumbleweed for a Christmas tree.

Economical small towns and low cost living (with mini-mtns) = SD (if you can survive the winters (and summers).

Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 PM

3,138 posts, read 873,684 times
There's always the towns in the San Luis Valley that fit your needs, but you didn't specify if 7700 ft elevation and cold is OK.

Some posters here will think this is a joke because of the reputation the SLV has around here. But I'm in my 5th year here and love it!

But then again, I like cold weather and hate big cities, so that makes me pretty weird...

Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Belle Fourche SD, Sundance WY...

Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 AM

3,043 posts, read 2,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
There's always the towns in the San Luis Valley that fit your needs, but you didn't specify if 7700 ft elevation and cold is OK.

Some posters here will think this is a joke because of the reputation the SLV has around here. But I'm in my 5th year here and love it!

But then again, I like cold weather and hate big cities, so that makes me pretty weird...
I agree. My folks lived outside of Del Norte for over a decade and most of my siblings graduated from high schools in the SLV. Its not all sagebrush, dry wells, and UFO hunters. But, they also purchased a significant sized parcel with water rights, canal access, and paid good amount of money for it all.

In all reality, most of Colorado is not like the I-25 corridor and most of the OP's requirements can be met nearly anywhere else in the state, as well as most of Wyoming, Nebraska, the Dakotas, so on and so forth. Without more definition, its really difficult to narrow the search and providing suggestions that need to be investigated for alignment with their personal needs, all within a few weeks, while preparing for the move sounds like a recipe for bad decision making and a less than ideal result.

With only a few weeks to spare, I'd say move out to Falcon or Peyton and conduct the further search for a longer term solution.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM

863 posts, read 1,309,860 times
Just to piggyback, I'd avoid Falcon- only if you move way out of Colorado Springs. That traffic on Woodmen shocks me. In the short 10 years I've worked for Falcon 49 my commute out to "central office" has seen explosive growth for people who want cheap land. It's pretty much a bedroom community for Colorado Springs.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,398,038 times
Paonia is a nice quiet mountain town in Delta County.

http://paonia.com/

Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,443,923 times
Anybody ever heard about SW CO or the san juan mountains.Plenty of small towns with peace and quiet.Except for Durango rents and housing prices are very reasonable. I live in Mancos and love it mostly work in Durango and make a killing doing finish Carpentry.two totally opposite places 29 miles apart. I found the perfect situation and bring the money home.Try it you'll like it. My freaking mortgage is 600 a month and I make Durango wages so life is good.LA Plata county is blue Montezuma county is red so it's easy to figure out why I am Happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or