U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:05 PM

6 posts, read 8,869 times

Advertisements

I've lived along the front range (tri-lakes area) since 2003 and have generally enjoyed it, but it's getting too congested and too expensive and I'm looking to move to a smaller, less populated area with a much more reasonable cost of living. I'm able to relocate my business and don't at all mind moving to a rural area.

I sold my home last February and have been renting since then, but the lease is ending in March and I need to find a small, low crime, friendly place to move to for the next couple of years. I'd like to get far enough away from the I-25 corridor that I no longer have to deal with all of the problems that come with it. I have been thinking that means moving east into the plains an hour or two (or three) away from the main population corridor, but I'd also consider an affordable small, mountain town.

My main requirements are to find a place small enough and far enough away that I won't have to deal with the constant influx of transplants from CA/NY/IL, but large enough that there will actually be rental housing available. The problem is that I don't know that part of the state at all and need some helpful advice on which towns to start investigating. I've got several weeks to make a decision, but was hoping I could get some input from here in my quest.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 PM

5,308 posts, read 7,137,631 times
What do you think of La Junta?

Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 PM

6 posts, read 8,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
What do you think of La Junta?
I don't know it personally, but I know it's a farming area. That's about it.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM

5,308 posts, read 7,137,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerDivide View Post
I don't know it personally, but I know it's a farming area. That's about it.
Can you find some time to do some day trips or little weekend road trips? I think you would have a better idea of what you like and don't like if you could really get out there some and see what the different small town/rural areas of the state look like.

Here are some that I personally have some limited experience with -
Lamar
La Junta
Limon
Canon City
Walsenburg
Florence
Penrose
Trinidad
Divide
Florissant
Cripple Creek
Victor
Woodland Park
Crowley
Ordway
Sugar City
Rocky Ford
Swink
Olney Springs
Fowler
Manzanola
Eads
Springfield
Westcliffe
Buena Vista
Rye
Colorado City
Lake George
Hartsel
Deckers
Fairplay
Alma
Elbert

and maybe a few others.

Just my own preferences, if I were going to pick a small town to live in tomorrow of the above I'd probably first look at Elbert and second La Junta. But I'd also, in your situation, look at the Pueblo area probably even before those two - even though those are still Front Range basically you might find the things that you don't like about the Front Range/I-25 corridor don't apply so much there. As for Elbert, I suspect it may someday go the way of Castle Rock and think there may currently be a pretty low inventory of homes. As for La Junta, I know it would be too hot for me in summer but there is a lot of great outdoor stuff around there that are widely missed/ignored by a lot of people so they are still relatively quiet and wild. It's just not mountains.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 PM

14,459 posts, read 22,290,695 times
Rye or Colorado City.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/41003812-post2.html

Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM

3,651 posts, read 3,941,784 times
If you want small or quite close to front range, the suggested cities of Elbert or Colorado City might work. If you want much cheaper and further out LaJunta is that. But I'd look at Fort Morgan too because it is somewhat bigger, with a better economy and growing modestly. LaJunta and Lamar are losing a bit of population. That can lead to property declines, more crime, store closings, doctors leaving, etc. These 3 plains cities are very safe on average for violent crime but property crime is average to higher. Rents are a $100 or more higher in Fort Morgan but there is more to choose from. Houses are affordable in FM and super cheap in LaJunta on average but the gap for similarity size & quality might not be as big. Price appreciation more likely in FM.

If you look to west slope, I might suggest Cortez or Meeker. Trinidad could be another option.

Use google maps / street view for a peek, then drive out to both or the favorite.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-09-2018 at 09:51 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 PM

6,885 posts, read 6,460,372 times
Not close to the Front Range, but what about places like Ridgway or Paonia?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:02 PM

354 posts, read 317,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Not close to the Front Range, but what about places like Ridgway or Paonia?
RIDGWAY!!!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 PM

3,651 posts, read 3,941,784 times
He wants "much more reasonable COL".

An out of the box option might be Douglas WY. Plains, but mountain (and lake) adjacent. Much higher average income than the CO plain cities. Real estate higher than Fort Morgan but not that bad.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-09-2018 at 11:02 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,054,570 times
IMO, the original request is too broad. We need more criteria to help narrow the search. Must it be in CO? What population sizes to meet the expectation? Recreational and social requirements that are needed should be what? Are there weather or altitude concerns.

Anywhere but the I25 corridor is pretty darn broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or