U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:04 AM

17,091 posts, read 8,717,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Not surprised. Pandering to the dying coal industry, I presume?
No. Trying to implement fair trade practices to create AMERICAN JOBS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:59 AM

6,912 posts, read 6,515,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Costing American jobs in one place by favoring one industry over another. Especially when one industry is growing and the other is dying.

Imagine propping up the horse carriage industry if Henry Ford was importing some parts from China. How would that have ended?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 AM

6,533 posts, read 10,219,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The solar panel tariffs, combined with the DOE's absurd (and failed) attempt to require coal power plants to have a 90-day stockpile of coal on-hand at all times is pandering at its finest. They're trying like hell to prop up coal, but the world is moving on from it. I lived in coal country, and although it pangs me to say it, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. There's gonna come a time (likely in my lifetime) when coal dies completely. You can pretend Trump (or some other pol) is gonna save you, or you can pull your head outta the sand and try to adapt.

Tariffs or not, China is going to take the lead on solar and we're gonna get left out. Brilliant strategy.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:09 AM

3,157 posts, read 1,939,646 times
Cost of PV panels is not the problem today. They are already fairly cheap and presumably will be getting cheaper. So instead of crying about tariffs, we should be concentrating on bringing down the other costs (labor, permits, hardware, etc).

Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,436 posts, read 39,784,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Cost of PV panels is not the problem today. They are already fairly cheap and presumably will be getting cheaper. So instead of crying about tariffs, we should be concentrating on bringing down the other costs (labor, permits, hardware, etc).
including getting rid of US Gov subsidies !!!

Those killed the competitiveness of the US Solar industry in the 1970's and 1980's.

Ironically when the subsidies came back... so did the (same ole) sharks. I work in the Alt Energy industry, so was surprised to see the same sharks return 20 yrs later. I figured that they would have gone and got real jobs, but they probably just follow the Federal Money that they can extract from naive citizens.

Paying 2x - 5x actual value for installations is not in the long term benefit of the industry.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:40 PM

3,157 posts, read 1,939,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Those killed the competitiveness of the US Solar industry in the 1970's and 1980's.

Ironically when the subsidies came back... so did the (same ole) sharks. I work in the Alt Energy industry, so was surprised to see the same sharks return 20 yrs later. I figured that they would have gone and got real jobs, but they probably just follow the Federal Money that they can extract from naive citizens.

Paying 2x - 5x actual value for installations is not in the long term benefit of the industry.
I recall shopping for my first house, I believe it was in 1992. I was shown several resale homes with derelict solar systems still in place. None of them worked any longer but the owners hadn't bothered to remove them. I'm not sure what they were thinking. Did they believe that albatross up on the roof was adding value to their home? I passed on all of those

Tax credits make people do silly things, IMO.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:43 PM

6,912 posts, read 6,515,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Meanwhile oil & gas gets billions in subsidies every year and the industry has sold the story to Republican voters that this is a tremendous growth engine for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or