U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,076,221 times

Advertisements

If your kids are thrill seeker types, consider Cave of the Winds. While the cave is interesting enough enough from a geologic point of view, the added rides may fire up the kids. Terror-Dactyl launches them off a cliffs edge in a chair at 100 mph, Wind Walker allows them to negotiate an obstacle course hanging over the edge of a cliff, and the Bat-a-Pult, a tandem chair, low speed zip line type of ride. Home - Cave of the Winds

In June, snow shouldn't be an issue for activities under 12,000'. The summit of Pikes Peak will have it in areas though, so anticipate a snow ball fight if you go to the summit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
An hour southwest of COLO SPGS is Canon City which has a marvelous lunch train ride, great river rafting in the May-June timeframe, Royal Gorge theme park, prison tour, etc.

COLO SPGS has Garden of the Gods with great hiking and scenery, drive up or take the train ride up Pikes Peak, USAF Academy visitor center, mining museum, Pioneer Museum, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Broadmoor Resort, Helen Hunt Falls, Cave of the Winds, vigorous hike up the Manitou Incline path, strong hike up the Barr Trail, more....

You can easily fill four days in COLO SPGS.

If one day is a Sunday, do consider the AYCE Sunday Buffet at the Broadmoor Resort. It's legendary. Easy dress code, all-valet parking.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,390 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Thank you for the responses.

Kids are 19 and 23, last big family trip.

We've decided on both. ....
Good choice.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:27 AM

144 posts, read 108,213 times
Sounds like you have already made up your mind to do both and I think you will have a great vacation. As someone who has recently spent vacation time in both, I'm partial to Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park because of the wildlife and awesome scenery and would pick it any day of the week over Colorado Springs for vacation. Seeing wildlife in their natural habitat is just so awe inspiring to me. Yes, there is wildlife in Colorado outside of the National Parks, but for me it's just something that I just don't see a whole lot of in Colorado when I'm there for a week long vacation and outside of National Parks.

Colorado Springs is a nice place, a pretty city, you can do some hiking / zip lining, the Cheyene Mountain Zoo is really cute, etc. And as others have stated there are plenty of things you can do to fill up your time. But it's a city with some natural beauty, not the wilderness of Rocky Mountain National park.

When we vacation in Estes Park, we usually stay a week, as there is so much we love to do there, mostly in RMNP. I do love the Trail Ridge Road trek to Grand Lake and back midweek too with all of the stops and like to do an architectural tour of the Stanley Hotel (very interesting history). Horse back riding is a decent activity to do one day also. And it's an outstanding place for hiking and photography -- moderate hike and walk are plentiful too with stunning scenery if you aren't a big time hiker. The East side by Estes Park is the prettiest side of the National Park too.

When we vacationed in Colorado Springs we spent two nights there, two nights in Salida, and three nights in Crested Butte -- We were looking to see some parts of Central Colorado we had never been to.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:49 AM

4,657 posts, read 1,324,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Er, yeah, I meant Pikes Peak, not Mount Evans.

If you still needed more activity while at CoS, could consider rafting the Arkansas river, or just looking at Royal George, Bishop Castle near Rye or Great Sand Dunes (about a 2 hour drive). Princeton Hot Springs (near Buena Vista).

The local parks right around CoS are nice too. Garden of the Gods? Seven Falls? Or drive up Tarryall Creek road north of Lake George (if in decent condition)? Or drive by Sangre de Christos range for some views, maybe a picnic, short hike? Manitou Springs window shopping?
I second this view. My favorite part of Colorado is south central Colorado, including all the spots Crow mentioned. The Arkansas River Valley, including the towns of Buena Vista, Salida and over to Canon City and then down to Great Sand Dunes is a good time. The area is packed with great attractions and has infrastructure for tourists without being overly touristy such as the I-70 corridor.

As far as Estes in the summer, as others have pointed out, it gets very busy! If you're looking for less busy, (but more locals) hiking, head to the Indian Peaks Wilderness area just south of the park and hit the town of Nederland on your way south. Either way, go early to get parking spots.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 AM

20,975 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
An hour southwest of COLO SPGS is Canon City which has a marvelous lunch train ride, great river rafting in the May-June timeframe, Royal Gorge theme park, prison tour, etc.

COLO SPGS has Garden of the Gods with great hiking and scenery, drive up or take the train ride up Pikes Peak, USAF Academy visitor center, mining museum, Pioneer Museum, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Broadmoor Resort, Helen Hunt Falls, Cave of the Winds, vigorous hike up the Manitou Incline path, strong hike up the Barr Trail, more....

You can easily fill four days in COLO SPGS.

If one day is a Sunday, do consider the AYCE Sunday Buffet at the Broadmoor Resort. It's legendary. Easy dress code, all-valet parking.
can't rep you but as I was reading, this is exactly what I was thinking. We love Canon City and Royal Gorge.

OP, wise choice to do both. I think CoS has more to do, but there is something about Estes Park and RMNP that speaks to my heart. Try to fit in Grand Lake too, while you are there.

You will enjoy both areas, in different ways, and really see some of the best Colorado has to offer.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:42 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,106,600 times
Colorado Springs is a must in June. There is so much to keep you busy and you get the same mountain experience as you do in Estes Park. I strongly recommend visiting Seven Falls (https://www.broadmoor.com/broadmoor-...s/seven-falls/) and the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or