U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 02:23 PM

13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times

Advertisements

I wasn't surprised that the number #1 state for in-migration was IL. I see so many IL plates here on a daily basis that you'd think it was as close as WY. I love IL myself, but I do understand the many reasons people from there have for leaving (hopefully they can friendly up CO a bit too ).

I was surprised that WA was number #1 for out-migration. That's like frying pan to fire IMO. Front Range to Puget Sound (the default, I would imagine) is just asking for more of what many CO'ans tend to complain about while living here (high costs, traffic, transplants, etc).

I applaud CO'ans that move east as opposed to those who move west. When I meet or hear about CO'ans that move to NE, IA, IN, OH, etc., I think they are only doing right by themselves, especially if they seek a more laid back lifestyle that the Front Range no longer provides (or hasn't for a long time even). Even places like NV or AZ would be a marked improvement in QOL (for now).

When we leave here (not if, I have a hard time imagining dying here), we will go to Eastern WA/North ID, back to our native CA, or to somewhere in the Midwest. Or a combination of the three. Maybe we'll just drift.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:31 PM

603 posts, read 733,291 times
I was born here (Colorado Springs) although I did live in Eugene Oregon and Lyon France for a time growing up. Also spent some time in Tokyo right out of college but the bulk of my 46 years have been in Colorado. As hubby and I are looking towards retirement we are definitely considering a move.

We may look out of state towards Idaho, especially northern Idaho and we also consider moving from the Front Range of CO to the Western Slope. My niece moved to Boise several years ago and my brother is now living in Bend Oregon so if we go to Idaho we would have family somewhat close. We have spent a lot of time rafting rivers in central Idaho and love paddle boarding the lakes around Coeur d’ Alene. As avid outdoor enthusiasts it would be a good fit.

Either way we don’t plan to retire on the Front Range. It’s been a good place to grow our careers and build up real estate equity but we are ready to move on.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 01-24-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 04:42 PM

4,798 posts, read 4,901,271 times
My children moved away from the front range when they went off to graduate school on the coasts.

They moved to Boston, NYC and now San Fran. Quite a few of the young educated kids end up on the Coasts. This has happened to several of my friends kids as well.

As for the older people, I've known a few who've moved from the front range to Arizona.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:50 PM

54 posts, read 64,037 times
If I ever leave Colorado outright (doubtful since I've lived here my whole life), I'd probably go to the Yakima Valley WA since my husband's side of the family lives there...in rural farming country.

If I ever leave the front range, I'd probably go to Grand Junction...bigger city but similar small-town vibes to Yakima.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,246,256 times
We moved from Monument to Avondale (west side of Phoenix) a couple of years ago. We only moved to be closer to family. Phoenix is not nearly as scenic as Monument. I kinda miss the snow, but not the winter driving. Weather in CO is much more interesting. Seems like it's always sunny here. We haven't seen too many storms, winter or summer, since we moving here. I enjoy the winters here and don't mind summer. It's hot, but usually dry. In CO, I enjoyed the summers and didn't mind the winters.
Overall, I think life is easier here. I rarely use a jacket or pants. If it's cold, a hoodie and shorts usually suffice. Car wise, you don't need snow tires, AWD, windshield fluid, or clear bras to protect your paint from mag chloride. Air conditioning is mandatory equipment in house and car. Traffic can be pretty bad at times, but the whole Phoenix area is laid out in a square grid (hardly any hills), so you can usually find many options to get around.
We found a great home to buy here, but our home in CO was sitting in a pine forest. No comparison. A lot of folks here have mentioned that moving to CO is a dream of theirs, more so during summer months. For 11 years, we lived a dream life in CO.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
The majority of CO who leave for AZ are retirees (as previously noted) and those doing eldercare for parents.

WA is usually the 'employed demographic' as wages are MUCH higher and no state income tax and PLENTY of water!!! (from the sky and in the 'BIG' Rivers.(WA worked for me 30+ 'earning' yrs ago when I left CO (~100% raise just in CoL reductions + increased pay and no taxes) BTW... today WA minimum wage = $11.50/ hr ($15 in Seattle)... Colorado = $10.20 - state income tax (4.63%) so stablized in last 30 yrs...but SKILLED wages are a way different story in the heavy union influenced left coast (PNW gets the high wages but most often without the burden of the unions)) My region of WA was quite low CoL (excluding exploding Property taxes (up 500%), which is why I left CO in the late 1970's. + the front range had become a CA and TX inbound retreat. 80% of our company transfers from CO to WA returned to CO within a few yrs, and certainly for retirement.

CA is quite popular (and affordable) to return to for the retirees who were able to hang onto their Prop 13 status. One of my uncles enjoys < $400 / yr taxes on his ocean view San Clemente spread.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:51 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,309,294 times
I ended up moving to Yavapai county in 2016, cost of living is too much for a Millennial on the front range and got tired of the snow and cold winter. Will be buying my own place here now that I can save up and student loans paid off.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:03 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I ended up moving to Yavapai county in 2016, cost of living is too much for a Millennial on the front range and got tired of the snow and cold winter. Will be buying my own place here now that I can save up and student loans paid off.
We moved a bit further down I-17, to Peoria, AZ. The snow, cold, altitude, stairs, and mowing grass were what we got away from, not to mention the potholed streets of COLO SPGS.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:10 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,110,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Net in migration is from California, Texas, Florida, Illinois, Arizona.

Net out migration is Texas, California, Florida, Arizona, Washington.

No doubt age demographics are a big part of both in and out movement as is disillusionment of transplants from all those states returning back to where they came.
Yes to above ("net in" and "net out" state). Yes too - if implied - about age discrimination in work force, and accompanying disillusion. I've never encountered such strange and weird office/work dynamics as seen here. Job experience and effort put into company is nothing compared to regional similarity. Youth is treasured; maturity and experience are frowned upon. Promote the people who are most attractive and "perfect" (even if basically useless). Superficiality rules the day.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-25-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM

4,656 posts, read 1,328,429 times
Leaving the Front Range area for Custer County. Tired of the traffic, strip malls, endless tract housing, etc. Working from home, we feel fortunate to be in a position to do so. Given a lot of the rural areas have few jobs or long commutes, such a move wouldn't be for everyone, but we cannot wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or