U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2018, 06:47 AM
 
7,335 posts, read 16,602,938 times
Reputation: 4567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Was that you that injured yourself while moving snow? Seems like you were not a happy camper with winter conditions back then. Are you considering becoming a snowbird?
I fell in our driveway at our house, just after the Holiday Blizzard in Dec 2006. Didn't have enough time to shovel out the driveway or use the snow blower, before going to work. Came home and tried to get our Dodge RAM 1500 into the driveway, to go into garage, and got stuck. Got out of the truck to see how bad I was stuck and fell into a some semi-hard snow on my right shoulder. That fall required the rotator cuff surgery the following February in my right shoulder.

Not thinking that either of us could fall anywhere we would move to, I told my wife I didn't want us to take the chance of her falling or me falling again and getting a serious injury. So, what happens, after spending a year in Huntersville, NC, we decided to move here to Jax. We did visit, looking at apartments, for about a week. During the summer of 2015, I fell in the parking lot where we live and that fall required rotator cuff surgery in my left shoulder. So, bottom line was........either of us could fall, no matter where we lived.

We have also since found out that higher elevations and lower humidity is much better for arthritis pain than where we are.

We absolutely DON'T have the finances to be snowbirds. Neither of us will be retired (Pension) from a job. Like a lot of Baby Boomers today, SS and savings is what there is. But, we will be doing quite a bit of downsizing before we move.

Also, living in a "snow" area can be quite a bit different for a retired or semi-retired Senior than someone who works a full-time job. And, in living in an apartment, Maintenance will keep the areas clean of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Avondale, AZ
1,209 posts, read 4,247,911 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Not thinking that either of us could fall anywhere we would move to, I told my wife I didn't want us to take the chance of her falling or me falling again and getting a serious injury. So, what happens, after spending a year in Huntersville, NC, we decided to move here to Jax. We did visit, looking at apartments, for about a week. During the summer of 2015, I fell in the parking lot where we live and that fall required rotator cuff surgery in my left shoulder. So, bottom line was........either of us could fall, no matter where we lived.
Terrible story. Hope you're OK. Maybe look into getting one of those 'magic' bracelets that 'supposedly' help balance
After living in CO for 11+ years, we are happy to NOT have to deal with winter weather and enjoy visiting our grandkids in San Diego. But if it wasn't for family, we'd stay in CO. Good luck on your move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2018, 11:11 AM
 
7,335 posts, read 16,602,938 times
Reputation: 4567
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Terrible story. Hope you're OK. Maybe look into getting one of those 'magic' bracelets that 'supposedly' help balance
After living in CO for 11+ years, we are happy to NOT have to deal with winter weather and enjoy visiting our grandkids in San Diego. But if it wasn't for family, we'd stay in CO. Good luck on your move back.
Well, my wife’s two sisters and their nieces live in So Calif., but we haven’t been back there since leaving there in 2002.
Actually part of my Navy years were in San Diego (32nd St), then in Long Beach (when it was open).

We don’t necessarily like “Old Man Winter” either, but, to get what a person wants where they live, got to take the good with the bad (weather). Besides that, northeastern Florida can get much colder during winter months that we ever thought it would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 05:47 PM
 
67 posts, read 100,140 times
Reputation: 28
We moved to the front range 2yrs ago and just left for northern ID. We hate it. Cloudy or rain every day. Would like to get back to CO but can't justify the COL - CS and FC have caught up with Denver housing in the past year. Considering TX, OK, AR, or...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,910 posts, read 6,510,604 times
Reputation: 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovin2movin View Post
We moved to the front range 2yrs ago and just left for northern ID. We hate it. Cloudy or rain every day. Would like to get back to CO but can't justify the COL - CS and FC have caught up with Denver housing in the past year. Considering TX, OK, AR, or...???
COS and FOCO are not as much as Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top