Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times

Advertisements

A lot of the people I know that love Colorado for the mountain sports talk about Montana as a place they aspire to, but can't move to because of the lack of jobs.

Being a semi-niche demographic not welcomed in many rural areas with a job that's largely dependent on governments being willing to spend money on infrastructure, Coloradans can rest assured I'll stick to the left-leaning metro of over a million people.

Last edited by Westerner92; 01-25-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:39 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
I am leaving Colorado for now the cost of living has been a factor in my career. I am going to live in Peoria , AZ . I will miss the Cold, the Altitude, working in the yard for hours . I might move back someday , I will still go to the cabin in Gold park every summer if I want to drive that far.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:34 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
I personally moved to the western slope but had to come back due to my daughter's medical issues, and dream of the day I get away from the front range.

I have had several family members move from the front range to Wyoming, Montana, and the Western slope for lifestyle reasons.

My sister moved to Indiana for COL factors.

My mother a 4th generation Coloradoan lived in Montana and the western slope before moving to south Texas for retirement.

I have 2 cousins that have moved to California for work/career reasons.

I have had friends move to ND, Texas, California, Washington DC, and Washington state for work purposes

Other friends have moved to eastern Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Phoenix, Texas, Wyoming, Washington, North Carolina, Florida, Oklahoma, and Missouri for liftestyle and COL.

I used to work with the public and it is pretty obvious how much the front range has become a transient population, I know many people that moved here from somewhere, stayed 5-7 years and left. the Mountains are great, there is plenty to do, but after a while the grind of trying to keep the bills paid and support a family with the low Colorado wages and high cost of living along the front range take their toll and people decide it is no longer worth it.

If I was moving to get closer to the cowboy lifestyle, the Colorado front range would not be on my list.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:19 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I personally moved to the western slope but had to come back due to my daughter's medical issues, and dream of the day I get away from the front range.

I have had several family members move from the front range to Wyoming, Montana, and the Western slope for lifestyle reasons.

My sister moved to Indiana for COL factors.

My mother a 4th generation Coloradoan lived in Montana and the western slope before moving to south Texas for retirement.

I have 2 cousins that have moved to California for work/career reasons.

I have had friends move to ND, Texas, California, Washington DC, and Washington state for work purposes

Other friends have moved to eastern Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Phoenix, Texas, Wyoming, Washington, North Carolina, Florida, Oklahoma, and Missouri for liftestyle and COL.

I used to work with the public and it is pretty obvious how much the front range has become a transient population, I know many people that moved here from somewhere, stayed 5-7 years and left. the Mountains are great, there is plenty to do, but after a while the grind of trying to keep the bills paid and support a family with the low Colorado wages and high cost of living along the front range take their toll and people decide it is no longer worth it.

If I was moving to get closer to the cowboy lifestyle, the Colorado front range would not be on my list.
We don’t really have to worry about jobs, we will be pretty much retired.

Not totally looking for the “cowboy” stuff. Wife doesn’t like Texas and Wyoming and Montana winters can be worse than anywhere on the Front Range. Freshwater lake boating/fishing, a few rodeos and seeing some big-rack Bull Elk is what we really miss and The Front Range has.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:09 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I grew up in "snowbelt" States (Mich & Ind), but spent numerous years in So Calif before we met and married. I had drove thru Denver and spent a few days in the Springs before I met her. Just before we met, she had plans on moving out of So Calif and we discussed moving to Denver metro. We both missed the 4-seasons, including t-storms and snow. When we moved, we were in our early 50's. For the following 3 yrs, we were "ok" with the winters, but at the end of that 3rd year, I had a hip replacement done and the cold weather affected it at times. A year later, I fell in snow/ice in our driveway that resulted in rotator cuff surgery and that's when we decided to call it quits for living there. Sold our house, quit our jobs and moved to the southern part of the East Coast.

Sometimes we miss the "good old Front Range", but we have plenty of pictures and video to remind us of the good times as well as the snowstorms/blizzards we went thru.

BTW, we are now in our early-to-mid 60's, living in northeast Florida and, OF COURSE no winter parka, snowshovel or snowblower needed here........and that is just fine with us!
Quote:
One thing to really remember, LaylaM.........some folks, young or old/older can handle the Front Range/Denver metro winters better than others. I've visited this forum when a snowstorm (or even blizzard) was going on, or just over, and read about people complaining about the snow and others that want to yell out how happy they are that there is snow.

While living there, I worked in Senior Healthcare and seen a lot of Seniors that would cancel their doctors appointments because they didn't want to go out into the cold/snow. Snowing can be a beautiful sight while viewing from inside a nice warm home, until a person has to drive in a "whiteout" condition or shovel their driveway out of inches-to-feet of snow. The younger generation can handle this much better than us older folks can!
And, we seen both when we lived there......inches and feet of snow.
All I can say is "chose your moving destination well" because you don't want to be in the "complaining" section when the white stuff starts flying and ice starts forming!
Quote:
"Squelching hot weather" would be in Miami or the Keys in the summer, although Orlando temps can get up there as well. Of course it gets mighty hot in Vegas and Phoenix during the summer months, but not the humidity to contend with. One thing for sure, older folks can do more in heat than they can do in cold-to-very cold weather.......they just keep the water and beer well stocked in the old cooler! On our boat, that is exactly what we do!

So, you will have two homes? If that's the case, you should read the thread on the Retirement forum about having two homes.........very interesting.
Quote:
When we lived there, some locals, including tv weather forecasters, downplayed the winter weather in the metro area very good. We were told thngs like......"snow melts very fast", "doesn't get that cold", "not as much snow comes down as some people say"......and all of these statements were somewhat BS! We found out just how much this was "BS" pretty fast. Companies like the ones wife and I worked for have "snow-days" for a reason.......days that a business is closed due to a snowstorm or blizzard.

Shoot, there were times that I thought some locals actually worked/got paid by the Tourist Bureau to say this stuff!
Now, this does have to be said, living in Parker, we did see more snow than Denver did. The Monument Hill portion of the I-25, just above the Springs, would close down sometimes in the winter due to the amount of snow in the area.

We will also say that we liked, darn near LOVED, living in the Front Range. Yes, it could get darn cold-to-below freezing along with inches-to-feet of snow........but that comes with the area of metro Denver. Just like heat, humidity and the threat of a hurricane or tropical storm is part of Florida.

It's what people CAN handle, not what they THINK they can handle! For whatever reasons, a 60 plus person could live in a "snowbelt" area and have no problem with shoveling snow or trying to walk on a sidewalk coated with ice, while a different 60 plus person would say "NO WAY!"
Hi there LoveBoating. A few years back I started a couple of threads regarding our possible retirement along the Front Range, more specifically, the Fort Collins area. At that time you were extremely vocal about your disenchantment with the region and all of the associated challenges that you felt seniors might face. I'm not trying to play 'caught ya' here but thought these reminders might be helpful as you move forward with your decision.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Hi there LoveBoating. A few years back I started a couple of threads regarding our possible retirement along the Front Range, more specifically, the Fort Collins area. At that time you were extremely vocal about your disenchantment with the region and all of the associated challenges that you felt seniors might face. I'm not trying to play 'caught ya' here but thought these reminders might be helpful as you move forward with your decision.
To a point, we made a mistake leaving Colorado and wife and I know that (without a doubt) now. After we visit Loveland this summer, we will know much more about our “feelings” about the area. But, our feeling right now is that we want to move there.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:38 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
Honestly, it would be more helpful for you to visit during the coldest winter months. Have you done that? During a high snow and ice time? That ended up being a deal breaker for us, though I sincerely love Colorado and I loved living there when I was in my early 20s.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Honestly, it would be more helpful for you to visit during the coldest winter months. Have you done that? During a high snow and ice time? That ended up being a deal breaker for us, though I sincerely love Colorado and I loved living there when I was in my early 20s.
We lived there, both Englewood (apartment) and Parker (house) for a total of 5 1/2 years. Went thru plenty of snowstorms and even a few blizzards. Have photos and video of all.

So, we already know what winters are like.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Last article I saw, Washington State was #1 move out destination (no surprises there) but #2 was Arkansas, which was surprising, especially considering Arkansas isn't that big. I think it may be because Arkansas still has outdoor activities, but it's green, warmer, and cheaper. Other places either aren't cheap or aren't as outdoors focused, like TX or OR.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
We lived there, both Englewood (apartment) and Parker (house) for a total of 5 1/2 years. Went thru plenty of snowstorms and even a few blizzards. Have photos and video of all.

So, we already know what winters are like.
Was that you that injured yourself while moving snow? Seems like you were not a happy camper with winter conditions back then. Are you considering becoming a snowbird?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado