U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 11:05 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,602,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
It's funny to see the term "snow ski," as if there's another kind of skiing. But then I noticed you are in FL, so it makes sense. Even so, I'd call the two activities skiing (snow implied) and waterskiing.

OTOH, there's snowboarding and waterboarding, the latter with a completely different meaning
When we lived there, people were both water skiing and tubing on Chatfield and Cherry Creek Reservoirs. Bemieve it or not, very little water skiing or tubing done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 12:06 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,624,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I get it from what people who live in Loveland have told me. Anyway, pot isnt everywhere. A person wont drive into the Loveland city limits and immediately smell pot in the air. Colorado cant be full of people getting high all the time. Just like Florida isnt full of alligators just waiting outside doors to eat someone.
The thing is that it is not really all that prevalent anywhere in the state, outside of a small stretch of I-70 heading east I do not remember the last time I smelled pot anywhere in the state. Loveland is no different then the rest of the front range where it is more prevalent than on the western slope and in rural areas.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:08 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,624,197 times
Quote:
It's funny to see the term "snow ski," as if there's another kind of skiing. But then I noticed you are in FL, so it makes sense. Even so, I'd call the two activities skiing (snow implied) and waterskiing.

OTOH, there's snowboarding and waterboarding, the latter with a completely different meaning
There are plenty of people in Colorado who do water skiing and refer to it as skiing, and as hard as it is for some to grasp there are plenty of people in Colorado who do not snow ski and when they are talking about skiing it is about water skiing.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:38 PM

447 posts, read 575,925 times
Quote:
It's funny to see the term "snow ski," as if there's another kind of skiing.
As someone who grew up doing both, it's easier to just say snow skiing or water skiing, unless there's context to make it obvious which one you're referring to.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:41 PM

196 posts, read 135,112 times
Comparatively, COL (especially housing) is still much cheaper here than other parts of the US (mainly CA + urban/ suburban areas in the northeast). Similarly, traffic is nothing compared to those areas.

Plus -weather is fantastic and there are lots of outdoor activities for all seasons.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:47 PM

447 posts, read 575,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So, why have, and still are, there so many people moving to The Front Range?
Jobs, weather, quality of life, culture, politics, legalized marijuana. Name your pick. Colorado and the Front Range in general have been growing like gangbusters for decades now. As the economy changes and there are fewer jobs and resources in rural communities, Denver and other Front Range cities are the primary drivers of economic growth and the largest metro area for many hundreds of miles in any direction.

Then there are tons of people that move to be close to the mountains and participate in a more active lifestyle. It's significantly drier and sunnier than most areas of the country and a lot of folks in the northeast and midwest would consider the winters to be milder as well.

The only main negatives are traffic and costs, which are only negatives for natives or those that come from smaller areas. There are plenty of cities with worse or equal traffic and higher prices. To them, Denver is an equal or cheaper option with plenty of other benefits over where they live now.

I doubt the growth is going to stop anytime soon. It might slow down as higher prices and other negatives shift interest to other cities on the Front Range or other states with somewhat similar attributes.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:48 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,909,522 times
Perhaps another motivator is climate change.

As the planet warms up, hot places become hotter. For example, Phoenix now experiences many more summer days above 110 degrees than 40 years ago.

Information concerning 100 degree and hotter temperatures for Phoenix, Arizona

"Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110F or higher 1896-2010: 11

Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110F or higher 1981-2010: 19"

The electrical load to cool a house increases dramatically as the temperatures soar above 110 degrees. I'll bet some people from there move to Colorado just to escape the heat and cost of utilities.

If you consider the impact of the recent hurricanes in Florida and Texas, I'll bet some people just want to leave or avoid those areas. I know I would.

Perhaps Colorado and its relatively mild climate has become a calling card welcoming those climate change refugees.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:33 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,602,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Perhaps another motivator is climate change.

As the planet warms up, hot places become hotter. For example, Phoenix now experiences many more summer days above 110 degrees than 40 years ago.

Information concerning 100 degree and hotter temperatures for Phoenix, Arizona

"Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110F or higher 1896-2010: 11

Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110F or higher 1981-2010: 19"

The electrical load to cool a house increases dramatically as the temperatures soar above 110 degrees. I'll bet some people from there move to Colorado just to escape the heat and cost of utilities.

If you consider the impact of the recent hurricanes in Florida and Texas, I'll bet some people just want to leave or avoid those areas. I know I would.

Perhaps Colorado and its relatively mild climate has become a calling card welcoming those climate change refugees.

On my thread about "where to people move to when leaving Florida?", Colorado is not mentioned, however Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee definitely are.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:06 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,821,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
[b]"Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110F or higher 1896-2010: 11

Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110F or higher 1981-2010: 19"[/B
There's a number missing from data - Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110F or higher throughout Earth's 4 billion year history

You've cherry picked a 0.00001% sliver of history to make your point.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:39 AM

6,910 posts, read 6,510,604 times
Quote:
There's a number missing from data - Average annual number of days with maximum temperatures of 110F or higher throughout Earth's 4 billion year history

You've cherry picked a 0.00001% sliver of history to make your point.
Holy ****! Now youre disputing that the planet is warming at all without mention of cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or